The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional foul...and TO request

I was giving a talk at our local association last night and was asking for basketball situations that have come up that we may discuss.

A JV official said that he had one....this is how it was told to me.

Team A on a fast break...the Lead sees B1 wrap his arms around A1, from behind, in a "bear hug" to prevent the fast break lay-up.

Lead puts air in the whistle and called an intentional foul. (Arms crossed signal is shown)

As the Lead is getting ready to report...the Trail official approaches the Lead and says the he had a TO request from the Team A Coach...maybe "right before the foul or right about the same time." The Trail says that he blew the whistle to grant the TO "he thinks, a little before the Intentional foul call."

Watta ya got?
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 05:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I was giving a talk at our local association last night and was asking for basketball situations that have come up that we may discuss.

A JV official said that he had one....this is how it was told to me.

Team A on a fast break...the Lead sees B1 wrap his arms around A1, from behind, in a "bear hug" to prevent the fast break lay-up.

Lead puts air in the whistle and called an intentional foul. (Arms crossed signal is shown)

As the Lead is getting ready to report...the Trail official approaches the Lead and says the he had a TO request from the Team A Coach...maybe "right before the foul or right about the same time." The Trail says that he blew the whistle to grant the TO "he thinks, a little before the Intentional foul call."

Watta ya got?
If it's close, go with the intentional personal, grant the TO, then shoot the free throws.

If it's not close (TO signficantly before the foul), call intentional technical foul and shoot the free throws after the TO is completed.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 05:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
If Team A is on a fast break and going in for a layup and Team A Coach is requesting a timeout as HIS team is going in - I'm granting it and telling him I heard him request the timeout before the foul and I'm granting it. As the T they could have had a good look at the sequence and timing.

If Team A Coach is requesting a TO while his team is on the break, I'm giving it to him. Silly coach!
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
If Team A is on a fast break and going in for a layup and Team A Coach is requesting a timeout as HIS team is going in - I'm granting it and telling him I heard him request the timeout before the foul and I'm granting it. As the T they could have had a good look at the sequence and timing.

If Team A Coach is requesting a TO while his team is on the break, I'm giving it to him. Silly coach!
...so you are going to ignore the intentional foul?
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If it's close, go with the intentional personal, grant the TO, then shoot the free throws.

If it's not close (TO signficantly before the foul), call intentional technical foul and shoot the free throws after the TO is completed.

If not close, why call intentional foul? This assuming foul wasn't of a flagrant nature.

If I'm visualizing this right, off ball official signals TO, lets say a second or two before breakaway intentional. By rule, I maybe wrong but where is the advantage? Would the same pertain to a common foul after whistle blew for timeout within a second, and officials had to sort out what came first? To me the defender is making a play albeit a heavily penalized one. But a timeout was called prior, so nothing happened.

Heavy meds today............flu, so fire away.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 05:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Watta ya got?
Tell the trail that he can't think; either it is or it isn't. If he isn't sure, you then have to decide between yourselves what came first, the foul or the TO being granted.

If he isn't sure that he blew the whistle before the intentional foul call and you both decide the foul came first, charge the intentional personal foul to B1 and then ask the coach of team A if he still wants the TO. If he does, after the TO is over have A1 shoot the 2 FT's for the intentional personal foul and give team A a throw-in at the closest OOB spot to where the foul occurred.

If he is sure that he blew the whistle before the intentional foul call, then the fun is gonna start. You grant the TO request to team A. But...big but.... by rule you now have an intentional contact foul while the ball is dead...which under rule 4-19-5(c) is an intentional technical foul. After team A takes the TO, any A player(s) can shoot the 2 FT's and team A will get a throw-in at center opposite the table.

Once the L gave the intentional foul signal, you pretty much gotta go through with it in either case.

That's the rule book solution imo.

You sure made up a dandy for them to think about, Dude.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 05:54pm.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 05:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
...so you are going to ignore the intentional foul?
I was looking up the citation when the Jurassic one printed his note. So I am going with his scenario two ICW 4-19-5(c). Interesting.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I initially told him to do as you suggested in your 1st response.

Someone said..."hey, it's a dead ball after the TO was granted...so it would be an intentional technical."

I told him "true", but the only difference is where Team A is going to take the ball OOB.

If it truly was as close as the JV official said, I told the group that I would probably sell it by saying the actions were simultaneous...and administer as stated in the 1st response.

If the TO was clearly requested and granted before the intentional foul...I would go with the intentional technical...since we do not want to ignore intentional or flagrant fouls.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 06:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
I told him "true", but the only difference is where Team A is going to take the ball OOB.
Really? Who gets to shoot if it's a technical? Who gets to shoot if it's an intentional personal?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

...as I see now...JR has so much more, than I, eloquently stated the way it should be...along with Rule references.

I also see where I should not have stated that it is the "ONLY" difference...in regards to "only" where the ball will be placed OOB.

Technical foul called...any player(s) can shoot the two FT's.

Intentional foul called...player fouled shoots the FT's...unless injured, then it would be his substitute.

Good sitch.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Really? Who gets to shoot if it's a technical? Who gets to shoot if it's an intentional personal?
Yeah...I caught my mistake in saying "ONLY" difference.

Already typed a response before I read yours. (Actually was trying to type fast before JR caught my "ONLY" response)

Good catch!
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 06:15pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Good sitch.
Yup, good one to give to your association to discuss. Lot of concepts involved.

I'm stealing it for our next meeting.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 06:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If it truly was as close as the JV official said, I told the group that I would probably sell it by saying the actions were simultaneous...and administer as stated in the 1st response.
The rules won't let you sell it that way, I think.

Rule 2-7-3 says that you have to determine when the ball becomes dead. And there's 2 case book plays that back that concept up...2.6SitA&B.

Sooooo, it's either dead with the TO request or dead with the personal intentional foul...your choice.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

100% with snaq on this.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 09:44pm
We don't rent pigs

If the TO was granted, the foul is a no call.

No obvious advantageous position to be neutralized.

Ball is dead. Clock is stopped. Foul was therefore not designed to stop it or keep it from starting.

Lonesome Dove