The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Here is the situation:
B3 commits foul. I report foul and scorer informs me it is his fifth foul. I inform B3 that he has five fouls and proceed to tell coach that B3 has commited his fifth foul and turn to timer to wind :30 to replace disqualified player. Coach asks for time-out.
Do I grant the TO immedietely or wait for him to use his :30 to replace then grant his request for TO.
If I grant his request immedietely does he have an additional :30 after the TO to replace his player?
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Exclamation Heads up on this !

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
Here is the situation:
B3 commits foul. I report foul and scorer informs me it is his fifth foul. I inform B3 that he has five fouls and proceed to tell coach that B3 has commited his fifth foul and turn to timer to wind :30 to replace disqualified player. Coach asks for time-out.
Do I grant the TO immedietely or wait for him to use his :30 to replace then grant his request for TO.
If I grant his request immedietely does he have an additional :30 after the TO to replace his player?
MOFFICIAL,
When you have determined a fifth foul, tell the Coach first. That makes the player a bench player immediately.
The repercussions of a bench player "going off" are different than if a player loses it.
Wind up the 30 first. Tell the Coach he can have the time-out after the player is replaced.
mick
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Just to add another note - the coach can't "extend" his 30 seconds by requesting a time out. If there's no sub when time expires, assess the T, give B 2 shots, THEN grant A's coach his timeout.
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Actually you can't do anything until he replaces the player.
You can T him when the 30 seconds is up but you cannot give him a timeout or shoot the FT's until the player is replaced.
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Communication...

I would inform the coach he has 30 seconds to replace his player. If he would like to use a timeout after this he can, but we need to go ahead and replace the player first.

I have had coaches do this also and if officials communicate properly, this can eliminate alot of problems.

As Mark said he has to sub for the fouled out player in the fisrt 30 seconds, but the real question now is if now he uses another timeout, can he he remove this sub for another player on his bench? Lets see what everyone has to say about this..

Should be interesting..
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding taking a timeout to replace the replacement for the DQ player I say yes as long as the substitute has reported before the warning horn for the TO.

Mick, I understand where informing the player first is advantageous but it is not "by the book". Officials Manual 231 h. The calling official shall notify the coach and then the player on a DQ and will administer substitutions.
Please respond.

By the way thanks for the support on this forum it is very useful.

[Edited by MOFFICIAL on Aug 25th, 2002 at 04:18 PM]
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Self,

I think you're asking if the coach can pull the "first sub" and replace him with a second. If that's the answer, then the answer is no. Once the first sub was brought into the game, he is a player and can't leave until the clock runs.

Z
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Thumbs down whoa there Z

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Self,

I think you're asking if the coach can pull the "first sub" and replace him with a second. If that's the answer, then the answer is no. Once the first sub was brought into the game, he is a player and can't leave until the clock runs.

Z
Z..

You sure about this?????? A player who is removed and becomes bench personnel can't return until time runs off of the clock, but there is no such stipulation that a player must remain in the game for time off of the clock.

If ya don't believe me, check the case book 3.3.3 Situation A.
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

bigwhistle is the winner !!!

The rule is for a player returning not leaving the game. A player cannot return to the game until the clock runs, but any player can be removed whether they have been in the game with the clock running or not.

Good job bigwhistle......
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thats what Mick said.....

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
Regarding taking a timeout to replace the replacement for the DQ player I say yes as long as the substitute has reported before the warning horn for the TO.
You are correct........

Quote:
[i]Mick, I understand where informing the player first is advantageous but it is not "by the book". Officials Manual 231 h. The calling official shall notify the coach and then the player on a DQ and will administer substitutions.[Edited by MOFFICIAL on Aug 25th, 2002 at 04:18 PM] [/B]
Mick said inform the coach first is the best way.. I think you misread... Read again....
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

The rule is for a player returning not leaving the game. A player cannot return to the game until the clock runs, but any player can be removed whether they have been in the game with the clock running or not.
Good job bigwhistle......

Good call bigwhistle and self....

Z
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Self,
I did misread Mick's post.
Inform the coach and then the player.
Sorry Mick.
And my world is at peace-for now anyway.