The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
bad news about injured player

He broke his wrist. The player from last night, who was on my watch, broke his wrist on a play that should have been prevented.

This became a wake up call for me. Basketball might not be for me, not right now anyways. It is my 6th season and I should have prevented that from happening. I don't know guys, but I might be hanging up my basketball whistle after this season. Never thought I say that but it took a bad situation like this to happen for me to say that, because I absolutely love officiating basketball.

Could you guys try to convince me otherwise? My heart wants to continue, but my mind is saying to give it up. Not trying to be dramatic, but I want to know what you guys think.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:40pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Could it have been prevented? Maybe, maybe not. The fact is, players get hurt all the time, sometimes on missed no-calls. The key is, can you learn from this?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Could it have been prevented? Maybe, maybe not. The fact is, players get hurt all the time, sometimes on missed no-calls. The key is, can you learn from this?
Yeah, take charge even if I'm not the R and I see something that should be penalized correctly.

At halftime I told my partner, who was the R in the rulebook, that we need to say something to that player who kept flopping, I'm ready to T him up. My partner says "oh c'mon, when have you ever seen an official call that? No one!". I'm with this partner again for CYO games tomorrow, and I will be on a short lease with him.

I can no longer be the nice guy anymore. My friend was right, I got no balls. I need to toughen up like I am in soccer, or I have to hang up the whistle.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 12:14am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Here's the thing, a quick warning to this player stops it 99% of the time, that's why you never see it called. If you warn him, and he does it again, he has no argument and your T becomes easier to call.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 12:20am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Here's the thing, a quick warning to this player stops it 99% of the time, that's why you never see it called. If you warn him, and he does it again, he has no argument and your T becomes easier to call.
You know what, I never thought of that. Damn it, you guys really do know it all haha.

That is a good point, which is probably why my partner said that it's never called. When I ref with him tomorrow, I'm gonna say just what you said. It's never called because a warning usually cleans it up. And if it doesn't, one or two blocking (no contact) calls will probably clean it up.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 12:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
He broke his wrist. The player from last night, who was on my watch, broke his wrist on a play that should have been prevented.

This became a wake up call for me. Basketball might not be for me, not right now anyways. It is my 6th season and I should have prevented that from happening. I don't know guys, but I might be hanging up my basketball whistle after this season. Never thought I say that but it took a bad situation like this to happen for me to say that, because I absolutely love officiating basketball.

Could you guys try to convince me otherwise? My heart wants to continue, but my mind is saying to give it up. Not trying to be dramatic, but I want to know what you guys think.
My son broke his ankle a couple weeks ago -- in practice!!! Landed awkwardly on a fast break lay-up. All injuries in sports cannot be prevented. That said, we can all learn from mistakes we make every game -- we make mistakes EVERY game (in basketball and in soccer).

One other thought, and this is just an observation that may be completely wrong -- so take it for what it is: someone's opinioin. I think that you tend to get emotional about offiiciating. Officiating, like coaching, requires a level head. The more heated a game gets, the calmer you, as an official, need to be. We tend to make poorer decisions when we get emotional.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 01:17am
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 794
injuries happen but we shouldn't exaggerate our involvement with them. I've seen them from a fan yelling at a player to do something like drive the lane and then he does, or a knee injury with one second to go in a blowout game. You see lots of refs start who start calling less fouls there including NBA and college refs.
have fun and take it seriously. if players get hurt then they get hurt. you might pass on a call and then someone gets hurt. move on. I've had players hurt maybe a minute after I called foul that I probably could have passed on and if I didn't call the foul maybe it wouldn't have happened. So lots of what ifs when but I try to be fairly consistent and if I call a game not favoring one team then I did my part. I've seen good refs let games get physical with no injuries and refs who call it tight have injuries. It is what it is and I enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 08:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 710
Look, everyone on here has booted a call. I don't think that's the issue here. FWIW, I'm not sure you are emotionally ready to referee a basketball game. This assessment is based on both this thread and the other one.

This thread IMHO is a request for some ego stroking. Sorry, if your ego needs stroking, you are in the wrong avocation. The problem partners I have had in the past all had out of control ego's.
__________________
"I'll talk to the organ grinder, but NOT the monkey."

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me

Last edited by Ignats75; Sun Jan 24, 2010 at 08:31am.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Not trying to be dramatic, but I want to know what you guys think.
You could hook up with a certain scoreboard operator and have a good pre-game.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 09:35am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Don't make a hasty decision based on one or two incidents and the emotion of the moment.

If you still enjoy the game and add value - stick it out. All sports need good officials.

I had a B12 player break his wrist in a game I officiated last yr. It was an awkward foul that occurred in a heap along a sideline. I had the foul.....but so what. I knew it was bad when it happened.

Next week the boy was out practicing with his team and on the bench watching and cheering them on (obviously he couldn't play because of the cast). Great kid, super parents. Turns out he broke the same wrist a few yrs back during football. It happens. Let it go.

Be an official if you want to be an official. If you're heart is truly not in it, don't.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 09:35am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
And if it doesn't, one or two blocking (no contact) calls will probably clean it up.
How can you call a personal foul for blocking when no foul was actually committed because there was no contact?

Here's a suggestion:
1) learn the rules
2) make the correct call by the rules.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignats75 View Post
look, everyone on here has booted a call. I don't think that's the issue here. Fwiw, i'm not sure you are emotionally ready to referee a basketball game. This assessment is based on both this thread and the other one.
this thread imho is a request for some ego stroking. Sorry, if your ego needs stroking, you are in the wrong avocation. The problem partners i have had in the past all had out of control ego's.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
How can you call a personal foul for blocking when no foul was actually committed because there was no contact?

Here's a suggestion:
1) learn the rules
2) make the correct call by the rules.
That's what I was thinking but few have told me they would call it that way before T'ing up the flopper. So I'm incorrect there...
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
My son broke his ankle a couple weeks ago -- in practice!!! Landed awkwardly on a fast break lay-up. All injuries in sports cannot be prevented. That said, we can all learn from mistakes we make every game -- we make mistakes EVERY game (in basketball and in soccer).

One other thought, and this is just an observation that may be completely wrong -- so take it for what it is: someone's opinioin. I think that you tend to get emotional about offiiciating. Officiating, like coaching, requires a level head. The more heated a game gets, the calmer you, as an official, need to be. We tend to make poorer decisions when we get emotional.
I'm taking it for what it is, but you are wrong on my emotional state of mind during a game. I do keep a level head during officiating. It's after the game that I start getting emotional about certain things. Like one game I had a few years ago. I T'd up a coach for running his mouth all game. No problem, kept my cool, went to the table to report it. After the game he initiated a stare-down competition with me on my way to the locker room. I stood my ground, and eventually he walked away. Then after the game I went to a cafe with a friend and just started analyzing the situation and got all emotional about it, thinking whether if I should have T'd him up for the stare-down thing.

To be honest, I am an emotional guy. Sometimes VERY emotional. But I don't let it get in the way of work. The emotions stays in the locker room when I walk to the gym to ref.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 598
MORE BAD NEWS:

I just checked my schedule for the season and saw that I got this same JH/FM team two more times this season, once at home. I'm already hearing the AD and coaches are badmouthing me, so it should be interesting to see what happens.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Injured player tymorton Basketball 1 Mon Dec 28, 2009 08:40pm
Injured player ... how do you Johnny Ringo Basketball 7 Mon Dec 10, 2007 07:03pm
injured player stewcall Basketball 4 Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:11am
Injured Player Huskerblue Basketball 5 Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:05am
'Injured' Player Rookie Basketball 7 Wed Jan 03, 2001 12:52am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1