The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Does anyone remember?

I went to watch my granddaughter's game (7th grade) today during a three hour break I had between bunches of my own games. They played at a middle school in a neighboring district that had an old gym with no three point lines. The girls weren't sure where to stand during free throws if they weren't along the lane and it was apparent the officials weren't sure either. The girls actually stood behind the mid-court line, but I know that's not the requirement.

Since my memory has gotten worse the closer I'm getting to turning 100, I can't remember the proper rule for this.

Help anyone? Thanks.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 08:45am
In Memoriam

In days of old.....

Before the 3-point arc, anyone not on a lane line had to stand behind the freethrow line extended to the sideline and outside the FT semi-circle.

And way back...iirc...they could stand below the freethrow line but had to stay some set distance from the lane line...like around 6' behind the end of the lane space. I could be wrong on that one.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:49am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
In days of old.....

Before the 3-point arc, anyone not on a lane line had to stand behind the freethrow line extended to the sideline and outside the FT semi-circle.

And way back...iirc...they could stand below the freethrow line but had to stay some set distance from the lane line...like around 6' behind the end of the lane space. I could be wrong on that one.
Not sure when the change was made, but the 3 ft 'spaces' actually included the semi-circle and it was legal to stand there. Or anywhere as long as you were 6 ft [it may have been less] behind those lined up on the lane line.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 01:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's 46 F In Toledo, Ohio ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
They played at a middle school in a neighboring district that had an old gym with no three point lines. The girls weren't sure where to stand during free throws if they weren't along the lane and it was apparent the officials weren't sure either. The girls actually stood behind the mid-court line, but I know that's not the requirement. Since my memory has gotten worse the closer I'm getting to turning 100, I can't remember the proper rule for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
In days of old, Before the 3-point arc, anyone not on a lane line had to stand behind the freethrow line extended to the sideline and outside the FT semi-circle. And way back, they could stand below the freethrow line but had to stay some set distance from the lane line, like around 6' behind the end of the lane space. I could be wrong on that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Not sure when the change was made, but the 3 ft 'spaces' actually included the semi-circle and it was legal to stand there. Or anywhere as long as you were 6 ft [it may have been less] behind those lined up on the lane line.
I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying by shortly. He'll complain about having to go up to his cold attic library to search through his old rule parchments, but curiosity, and loyalty to the Forum, will eat away at him, and he'll go up there, and come back down with a definitive answer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)