The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Remember 201-78?

Last weekend D3 Lincoln beat Ohio State Marion 201-78.

Sunday Georgetown College(KY) beat Ohio State Marion 138-27.

It was 63-15 at the half.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:02am
M.A.S.H.

This is a good way to have to enforce the last sentence in 4-19-4.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

This was written in an article on ESPN.com. I thought it might be interesting to someone.

Quote:
Ohio State-Marion, a troubled program, dressed six players; Ohio State-Marion had lost its previous contest by 80 points; Lincoln University coach Garfield Yuille had his players full-court press in the second half to humiliate a helpless opponent. One Lincoln player attempted 41 three-pointers, continuing to launch treys when the school was ahead by more than 100 points. This is bottom-of-the-barrel behavior, and I give a lot of credit to Ohio State-Marion coach Mark Sisler and his six men for not simply walking off the floor so the game would end as a forfeit. What of the Lincoln coach? He's a victim! Yuille feels sorry for himself because people are criticizing his lack of sportsmanship. When coaches without class run up the score, instead of saying "I apologize" they invariably have a million excuses why they weren't responsible for their own actions. Lincoln University's basketball coach has made his school's name nationally synonymous with bad sportsmanship, and instead of apologizing, he's all about excuses. But then it is people with dignity who apologize. Bad sports claim they weren't responsible.

And where were the gents in the funny shirts while all this was happening? The NFL and NCAA football rulebooks contain broadly worded provisions granting officials nearly unlimited authority to prevent coaches from engaging in actions that make a travesty of the game. My guess is there's a similar clause in the NCAA basketball officiating manual. Why didn't the officials order Yuille to show sportsmanship, and enforce such an order by, say, ejecting any Lincoln player who pressed or shot a three? Officials are not supposed to be passive bystanders. Among their duties is protecting the integrity of sport.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Who wrote that piece of ill informed trash?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree totally with the article. I agree that the winning team showed poor sportsmanship, but I know there is no way I'm calling a game a travesty because of shot selection and the type of defense a team plays.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This was written in an article on ESPN.com. I thought it might be interesting to someone.
Right. The bottom line is ALWAYS "it's the ref's fault".

What an @sshole.

Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:01pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I agree with everybody saying that we can't really penalize tactics. But before you go and label this guy an a--hole (oops, too late), he's serious about trying to reduce unsportsmanlike action in scholastic games. He also called out the coach of the HS football team when he left his running back in to set the high school record for rushing yards in a game, even though his team was winning by 60 points or something like that. In that article, too, he wondered if there wasn't some remedy in the rules that the officials should have (could have) applied to prevent an obviously unsportsmanlike tactic. He suggested that the officials could've called an unsportsmanlike penalty every time the winning team did anything other than take a knee or punt. Obviously, we disagree on that; but he's not in the business of busting officials. He's just serious about sportsmanship.

He's not blaming the refs. He blames the coaches. And he correctly berates them when they try to shift the blame off of themselves. He'd like to see officials "do something" about these tactics; but we know we can't.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I agree with everybody saying that we can't really penalize tactics. But before you go and label this guy an a--hole (oops, too late), he's serious about trying to reduce unsportsmanlike action in scholastic games. He also called out the coach of the HS football team when he left his running back in to set the high school record for rushing yards in a game, even though his team was winning by 60 points or something like that. In that article, too, he wondered if there wasn't some remedy in the rules that the officials should have (could have) applied to prevent an obviously unsportsmanlike tactic. He suggested that the officials could've called an unsportsmanlike penalty every time the winning team did anything other than take a knee or punt. Obviously, we disagree on that; but he's not in the business of busting officials. He's just serious about sportsmanship.

He's not blaming the refs. He blames the coaches. And he correctly berates them when they try to shift the blame off of themselves. He'd like to see officials "do something" about these tactics; but we know we can't.
Oh, I get it now. He's a genuinely good guy who's knee-jerk parting shot is at "the guys in the funny shirts" that can't seem to run the world the way HE wants it run.

Sorry scrapple, I aint buying. He obviously realizes there's a rule book somewhere because he thinks the funny shirt guys are not reading all of it. What he lacks is the brain capacity to get that the guys in the funny shirts don't write the books. He should focus his one man crusade on the coaches who demand (or at least condone) this type of stuff and the rules book writers who leave it unaddressed.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

We must be talking about Mr. TMQ. He is one of my favorited columnists but he normally goes way off base when it comes to officiating.

But he's definitely no dummy.