Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

anyone remember

when officals used horns and red flags?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I remember the red flags (just before my time), but don't actually remeber seeing (hearing) the horns used, though I'm aware they used them.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I began in 1972 and I believe that was the first year for yellow flags (NF). I had a red flag given to me in some hand-me-down stuff – I wish I had kept it! I seem to remember a starter pistol used to end the half/game in the NFL. Did I imagine that?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbref View Post
I seem to remember a starter pistol used to end the half/game in the NFL. Did I imagine that?
No you didn't. Our Mechanics in the UK expressly forbid the use of a starter pistol over here, in case any of our guys tried to copy that practice.

Last time I visited a buddy of mine in the US who officiated in the MAC, he had a bunch of officiating memorabilia in his study - an officials horn and a red flag were amongst that stuff.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:57pm
In Memoriam

I've still got some old horns in a box somewhere. There were several different kinds. There was one big honking mofo that Acme(I think) put out, called "The Bugle". There were smaller ones, including models attached to a wrist bracelet. Some were one-piece and had reeds built in; earlier models came in two parts and had reeds that screwed on and had to be replaced 2/3 times a year. It wasn't uncommon to have a reed start to go during a game too. You'd end up getting a toot that sounded like a duck being strangled.

Horns were a pain in the azz. Invariably ballplayers would stop when they heard one. And invariably new officials would get confused now and then and blow their whistle on an in-play penalty instead of the horn, thus killing play. I had that happen once on about a 65-yd. TD run. Not only did it kill the play before the runner scored, the damn penalty was for a defensive personal foul. Naturally, the home team was the team about to score too. As the white hat, I had the pleasure of trying to explain that one to the head coach. Note that I followed "team unity" principles though; I pointed at the official who blew his whistle and told the coach "That's the azzhole who did it."
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I remember my father having a horn when I was a very little kid. I did start out with a red flag. I think we then went to a flag with one half red and one half white before we went to yellow.

The NFL got rid of the starter pistol sometime in the 80's. One of the chain crew guys would hold it and then slip it to the line judge shortly before the half or end of the game.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbref View Post
I began in 1972 and I believe that was the first year for yellow flags (NF). I had a red flag given to me in some hand-me-down stuff – I wish I had kept it! I seem to remember a starter pistol used to end the half/game in the NFL. Did I imagine that?
REPLY: I began in '78. I guess I'm remembering the red (and red/white) flags from my school days. And I do remember the pistols.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

This is one of those discussions that make me feel so old. Fortunately I remember the horns from Canadian football only, but red flags & guns, yeah.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 08:56am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
The NFL got rid of the starter pistol sometime in the 80's. One of the chain crew guys would hold it and then slip it to the line judge shortly before the half or end of the game.
I think the NFL did away with it because the stupid thing was causing too many blooper moments for NFL Films. Hey, it is the No Fun League after all!
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
If you're ever in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, go to the official's section. They have the old horns and flags on display.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'll check with my dad, who started in the '50s, but I don't recall any mention of horns. They did use red flags, though, at least for a while. My mom would make his flags. She'd sew a washer in the corner for the weight.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

As a player in the 70's, I remember the (penalty) horns very well. They sounded a lot like kazoos and I would agree that in the heat of battle, they probably caused more than a few players to slow down or stop altogether!

As far as flags are concerned, I'm pretty sure they were red back then now but certainly not anymore...north of the border they're now all neon orange!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

I started in 1957. We used red flags but no horns. I remember the horns from high school days, though. Back to the red flags. I had a lady who worked with me who was a seamstress. She made a red flag for me out of silk cloth. Pretty neat, but she wasn't done. She put a white lace border around it and told me she would be highly disappointed if I didn't use it. The biggest game of the season for a local high school was their Shrine game complete with the Shriner's clown corps. I carried my silk/lace bordered flag concealed in my pocket. During a time-out one of the clowns was doing his thing behind me on the sideline. I tossed my pretty flag at his feet. Got a big laugh.
(Note to purists- we can still have a little fun at the right opportunity)
I still have the flag along with a couple red and white flags.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 08:03am
Chain of Fools

I posted these previously from our spring break trip to the HOF...

last year