The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ever been laughed at?

7th grade boys rec tonight...

Called a shooting foul for a push in the back on a breakaway. A1 was just beginning his shooting motion, when he got pushed, which caused him to travel.

This is right in front of Team B's bench, so of course both coaches wanted a travel.

The HC asks during the free throws about the travel, and I tell him that the push preceded and caused any travel violation. Then the assistant coach starts laughing at me (no joke). Unfortunately I felt I had to T him. Didn't want to in a rec game, but I felt he crossed a line.

Didn't hear a word from either of them the rest of the game. It's a shame, too, because of the 6 coaches I dealt with tonight, they were the only ones who gave me any trouble at all.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:31pm
This IS My Social Life

Hand's on the Other Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
. . . they were the only ones who gave me any trouble at all.
They didn't give you any trouble, if it indeed happened as you stated. They gave themselves trouble by doing what you stated.
Did that make sense?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
They didn't give you any trouble, if it indeed happened as you stated. They gave themselves trouble by doing what you stated.
Did that make sense?
Sure did.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then the assistant coach starts laughing at me (no joke). Unfortunately I felt I had to T him. Didn't want to in a rec game, but I felt he crossed a line.

Didn't hear a word from either of them the rest of the game.
Why "unfortunately?" There's no bad luck here: you correctly addressed behavior intended to show you up.

And this is one of the benefits of taking care of business (esp. in rec ball).
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Why "unfortunately?" There's no bad luck here: you correctly addressed behavior intended to show you up.

And this is one of the benefits of taking care of business (esp. in rec ball).
I say unfortunately because it's rec league. It should really never even come to that, but unfortunately it did.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7th grade boys rec tonight...

Called a shooting foul for a push in the back on a breakaway. A1 was just beginning his shooting motion, when he got pushed, which caused him to travel.

This is right in front of Team B's bench, so of course both coaches wanted a travel.

The HC asks during the free throws about the travel, and I tell him that the push preceded and caused any travel violation. Then the assistant coach starts laughing at me (no joke). Unfortunately I felt I had to T him. Didn't want to in a rec game, but I felt he crossed a line.

Didn't hear a word from either of them the rest of the game. It's a shame, too, because of the 6 coaches I dealt with tonight, they were the only ones who gave me any trouble at all.
I hope that you didn't think twice before T'ing him up. Youth wreck leagues....IMO are where you seem to encounter on a regular basis some of the most hideous behavior on the part of coaches....HC's & AC's.
It's one of the things I found that basketball officiating has in common with baseball/softball umpiring.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
I hope that you didn't think twice before T'ing him up. Youth wreck leagues....IMO are where you seem to encounter on a regular basis some of the most hideous behavior on the part of coaches....HC's & AC's.
It's one of the things I found that basketball officiating has in common with baseball/softball umpiring.
I really didn't think twice about it at the time. But looking back on it, I just can't help but think how pitiful it is that it got that far. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with some of the stories I've read on here.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I really didn't think twice about it at the time. But looking back on it, I just can't help but think how pitiful it is that it got that far. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with some of the stories I've read on here.
I wouldn't even regret the situation. That assistant will learn more from that T than he will everything else about basketball all season.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I wouldn't even regret the situation. That assistant will learn more from that T than he will everything else about basketball all season.
I sure hope so. Both he and his head coach could use some basketball 101
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 06:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I sure hope so. Both he and his head coach could use some basketball 101
Half the time at the rec level, I'd settle for them getting some Human Being 101.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Half the time at the rec level, I'd settle for them getting some Human Being 101.
That might work better.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 06:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The only thing that was unfortunate about this was, unfortunately, you didn't put his butt out.

Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 07:15pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I had a similar situation Fri night where I called a foul on a push on the endline.

After I report, Coach says, "He was out of bounds."

I said, "And the push from your player is how he got there."

Coaches......
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Called a shooting foul for a push in the back on a breakaway.
This is a would have to be there situation. But I would consider an intentional foul if there was no play on the ball. In these situations an intentional foul can draw a line on what is acceptable and prevent escalation of rough play and tempers.

I had an intentional foul on a firm but not very hard push in the back with the player retrieving the ball near the sideline and being forced out of bounds. The response to a question from the coach was that he pushed him in the back and did not attempt to play the ball.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
This is a would have to be there situation. But I would consider an intentional foul if there was no play on the ball. In these situations an intentional foul can draw a line on what is acceptable and prevent escalation of rough play and tempers.

I had an intentional foul on a firm but not very hard push in the back with the player retrieving the ball near the sideline and being forced out of bounds. The response to a question from the coach was that he pushed him in the back and did not attempt to play the ball.
Let me clarify my push in the back. I do see what you're saying though, and agree that in that situation, an intentional foul is appropriate.

These were 7th grade boys, so most kids aren't at the ability level yet to where they can go "coast-to-coast" and lay it up without slowing down at the end to gather themselves (if that makes sense). The push was when the dribbler was slowing down and had a defender chasing him, and the defender essentially rear-ended the kid.