The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Achilles Tendinitis

Anyone else troubled with it? What do you do to treat and prevent it? Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Get to a podiatrist who specializes in running sports. Don't even hesitate. Do it today!
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

JUULIE is right. These things can be slow to heal - not much blood flow there. Stay on top of it and don't be surprised if the doc tells you to lay off all running for awhile. A change of shoes can sometimes help as well.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I've been struggling with this for a year next month. Tweaked it playing indoor soccer, 2nd worst pain I've ever felt, took the week off from play, felt great walking around etc, went and played the following weekend, feeling great til I somehow tweaked it, now the worst pain I've ever felt, I'm talking, pale, sweating type pain.. Doc verified nothing torn, and say's it'll never be the same but shouldn't tear on ya.
I took nearly a month off from playing/running. After a couple attempts of coming back too soon, I got it through my thick head, let it settle down, plenty of ice/heat for that month, with stretching exercises in between, lots of em. I was able to finish up the BB season and migrated into and made it through a tuff softball season as well.
Happy to say though it's not the same, it certainly works (achilles I'm talking about).
High maintainence to say the least. Began doing my stretching/strengthening exerecises religiously. I'm 51 on Superbowl Sunday, playing on two adult basketball teams during the week, and gym rat-n, every Sat AM and making it work. Doubt I'll ever play soccer again, fun but just to easy to get your body out of normal positions IMO.

You can not stretch it often enough nor too much IMHO. Warm up is the key for me, I gotta start early and really stretch it and warm it up and I must continue to do so throughout the activity and after I'm done or "pay the price for a few days".
Get your 4X4 block or two, I've a couple, one in my office at work and one in my gym bag. I'm on it every minute I can, stairs work, curbs work, bleachers, benches, I've become a freak about it, but it's working for me.
Hang in there "rest it" if you need, then stay on top of it and hopefully your back to 100% soon.
And ah just remember; "pain is just fear leaving the body".
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 02:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Step Stretch ...

Edit: I just looked at my post and it really looks like spam. It isn't. I am not employed, nor am I paid in any way, by Step Stretch, or Footsmart.com, nor are any members of my immediate family. I have used this successfully for both plantar fasciitis, and Achilles tendonitis. I would highly recommend it as both a therapy, and as a preventative measure, this being said by someone who is not a doctor, nor does he play one on television.

This will help. About $30.00. Will fit in a large equipment bag. Relieves pain associated with plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, ankle strain, arch pain and other chronic conditions. A double one is also available for two feet.

Step Stretch : Stretching Aids : Heel & Achilles Pain : Footsmart.com
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 24, 2010 at 02:39pm. Reason: To Make Post Look Less Like Spam
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Good site, BillMac. The night splint might be of a help also. It helped my plantar fasciitis and that is relieved by the same stretching action as achilles tendonitis, lifting the toes.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 07:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Night Splint ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
Good site, BillMac. The night splint might be of a help also. It helped my plantar fasciitis and that is relieved by the same stretching action as achilles tendonitis, lifting the toes.
The Futuro Night Plantar Fasciitis Sleep Support worked the best for me. It was around $30.00 and I believe that I purchased it a CVS.

Futuro | Night Plantar Fasciitis Sleep Support

The Thermoskin Plantar FXT (ankle and foot wrap with elastic strap) just didn't provide enough stretch for me. In order to get my foot stretched enough I had to practically cut off the circulation in my ankle and foot, and I thought I would wake up with gangrene. The Thermoskin Plantar FXT went in the trash as soon as I purchased and tried the Futuro Night Plantar Fasciitis Sleep Support, which is more rigid, and provides a better night stretch.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 24, 2010 at 08:04pm.