The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Using Backboard to Gain An Advantage

Saw this a couple of weeks ago in Texas vs. ?? NCAA game. It appeared in rebounding action that I saw players push off the backboard so as to not go underneath/behind the backboard. I think the players tried to time a rebound for a quick put-back. The push off the backboard kept them in position for a subsequent rebound. It is a very athletic play and might not be seen often.

I looked up the rule, Section 6, Art. 1H. It is listed as a technical foul to put your hands on the backboard to gain an advantage. Is this one of those rules that is ignored as the penalty is thought to harsh?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Is this one of those rules that is ignored as the penalty is thought to harsh?

No. My guess is that they didn't see it the way you did / were surprised / missed it.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Usually that rule has been references in relationship to a shot not a rebound. So it would be highly technical in my opinion to give a T for what you describe. I would not advocate giving a T for this unless I saw it for myself and really thought the action mattered.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Usually that rule has been references in relationship to a shot not a rebound. So it would be highly technical in my opinion to give a T for what you describe. I would not advocate giving a T for this unless I saw it for myself and really thought the action mattered.

Peace
Playing devil's advocate here, how would using the backboard for advantage for a rebound (esp. an offensive one) not be "gain[ing] an unfair advantage not intended by rule" in like manner as using same backboard in same manner for a shot?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Playing devil's advocate here, how would using the backboard for advantage for a rebound (esp. an offensive one) not be "gain[ing] an unfair advantage not intended by rule" in like manner as using same backboard in same manner for a shot?
I guess then you need to explain to me how someone uses it as an advantage on a rebound? I would really have to see it. And if all a player did was touch the backboard then I would need something else to be convinced that was an "advantage." Again all the interpretations of this are based on a shot and slapping the backboard on a shot. Never seen an interpretation that says touching the backboard on a rebound is illegal.

Bottom line, do not be a plumber.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 03:03pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I guess then you need to explain to me how someone uses it as an advantage on a rebound? I would really have to see it. And if all a player did was touch the backboard then I would need something else to be convinced that was an "advantage." Again all the interpretations of this are based on a shot and slapping the backboard on a shot. Never seen an interpretation that says touching the backboard on a rebound is illegal.

Bottom line, do not be a plumber.

Peace
How is slapping the board on a shot gaining an advantage?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 03:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
To maintain "hang time" or to alter your own trajectory with the intent of getting a better angle for the shot or outlast an airborne defender. The same benefits apply to rebounders, IMO, but I agree it would have to be pretty clear.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess then you need to explain to me how someone uses it as an advantage on a rebound?
Peace
Concerning the play in the OP, I saw an A2 come flying in on a shot from inside the lane. The shot rebounded to the opposite side of the lane from A2. A2 timed it to likely dunk the rebound. A2's hands looked to contact the backboard, and A2's momentum/direction appeared to change. Instead of A2 landing under the backboard or even closer to the endline (and being out of the play for a rebound on the next shot), A2 is now sufficiently in front of the backboard to contend for a rebound on the next shot.

The backboard was not slapped, A2 just put his hands up to meet the backboard and stop his forward momentum.

I thought it a very athletic and smart play. Then I recalled a rule against using the backboard to gain an advantage, looked it up, and here we are.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
To maintain "hang time" or to alter your own trajectory with the intent of getting a better angle for the shot or outlast an airborne defender. The same benefits apply to rebounders, IMO, but I agree it would have to be pretty clear.
I don't believe htis is going to happen. They're not going to get ANY hang time improvement out of it unless they grab something and lift themselves up (rim)...pushing on the board will have no effect on hang time unless they have Spiderman's grip. And I've not seen any handles on the backboard for a player to grab onto.

Unless they're so high that thier center of gravity is near the level of the backboard (and that is beyond the height even the best jumpers can reach), a push on the board, if it is firm enough to have any effect, is more than likely going to spin their body out of balance....upper body will rotate away from the board while their lower body will go more towards the board.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 04:10pm.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If it is not to block a shot legitimately the rules says it is.

I guess you missed that part of the rule?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Concerning the play in the OP, I saw an A2 come flying in on a shot from inside the lane. The shot rebounded to the opposite side of the lane from A2. A2 timed it to likely dunk the rebound. A2's hands looked to contact the backboard, and A2's momentum/direction appeared to change. Instead of A2 landing under the backboard or even closer to the endline (and being out of the play for a rebound on the next shot), A2 is now sufficiently in front of the backboard to contend for a rebound on the next shot.

The backboard was not slapped, A2 just put his hands up to meet the backboard and stop his forward momentum.

I thought it a very athletic and smart play. Then I recalled a rule against using the backboard to gain an advantage, looked it up, and here we are.
Are you saying a player that jumps up and almost hits their head on the backboard and somehow uses their hands to prevent this from happening is doing something illegal? Because that is what is sounds to me. Now if that is what you want to call that is fine. I just think you will have some explaining to do and you better have tape to back it up. Because without a clear example on tape I think this is a stretch.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you saying a player that jumps up and almost hits their head on the backboard and somehow uses their hands to prevent this from happening is doing something illegal? Because that is what is sounds to me. Now if that is what you want to call that is fine. I just think you will have some explaining to do and you better have tape to back it up. Because without a clear example on tape I think this is a stretch.

Peace
After re-reading my post and not seeing any mention of a player about to hit their head on the backboard, I am sure I am not saying A2 was avoiding hitting his head on the backboard. What I am saying is, A2 used the backboard to stop his forward momentum and keep himself in play for a rebound. Additionally, when A2 landed he did not have to regain his balance, he seemed to land and be ready for the next rebound. It was almost as if this was practiced or at least had been done before.

Other than this type of use of the backboard, I can't think of any way to get an advantage from the backboard except to pull yourself up from the lip on the backside.

The rule reads as "placing a hand(s) on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage" is a class B technical foul.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it is not to block a shot legitimately the rules says it is.

I guess you missed that part of the rule?

Peace
The rules also say that the hit has to be violent enough to shake things up and the shot has to have a chance of going in.

This seems like a move from the matrix. Lucky for me my games still follow the simple laws of physics.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A player using the backboard to alter his landing spot? I'm not sure the advantage is immediately recognizable, but you were there. As rut is saying, though, this is one that you'll probably want to have on tape later due to its unusual nature.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A player using the backboard to alter his landing spot? I'm not sure the advantage is immediately recognizable, but you were there. As rut is saying, though, this is one that you'll probably want to have on tape later due to its unusual nature.
This would not be an issue in the games I officiate. If this is an intentional action and provides an advantage, others players will pick-up on it/copy it, and it will be noticed eventually. If it violates the rule, I presume we will here about it.