The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Game Cancellation Notification

Background... Earlier today I called the high school to which I was assigned to confirm the game was still on as planned. The representative confirmed the time and location of the contest. Tonight (for the fifth time this season) I arrived only to discover the game cancelled. Since the coaches knew of the cancellation in advance, it is upsetting to waste my time preparing for the game only to be met with this disappointment.

My questions for you... Is this a widespread problem in your Chapter too? What policies/recourses/consequences has your organization put in place to prevent these communication gaps? Has it worked?

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloybra View Post
Background... Earlier today I called the high school to which I was assigned to confirm the game was still on as planned. The representative confirmed the time and location of the contest. Tonight (for the fifth time this season) I arrived only to discover the game cancelled. Since the coaches knew of the cancellation in advance, it is upsetting to waste my time preparing for the game only to be met with this disappointment.

My questions for you... Is this a widespread problem in your Chapter too? What policies/recourses/consequences has your organization put in place to prevent these communication gaps? Has it worked?

In previous jurisdictions where I've worked, schools who don't inform officials with enough advanced notice that they don't have to leave to travel to the site must pay the full game fee to the officials even if the game is cancelled.

I don't know if that's the policy where I am now, as I just moved here, but it makes sense.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
In previous jurisdictions where I've worked, schools who don't inform officials with enough advanced notice that they don't have to leave to travel to the site must pay the full game fee to the officials even if the game is cancelled.

I don't know if that's the policy where I am now, as I just moved here, but it makes sense.
Same here. If not notified, the official gets paid the full game fee and travel.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Get your money. Five times!!
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

You should probably let someone know as well if it's the fifth time.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloybra View Post

First of all we do not have "chapters" and this has nothing to do with anyone but the state, the school and the assignor. And if you do not get contacted, usually the assignor will make an issue from the school for this. This does not typically happen because most assignments are online and all the contact information is shared there. So when there is a cancellation the schools have your information most of the time. Local associations play no role in this situation. They do not assign any games.

Peace