The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Game Cancellation Notification (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56569-game-cancellation-notification.html)

lloybra Tue Jan 19, 2010 06:45pm

Game Cancellation Notification

Background... Earlier today I called the high school to which I was assigned to confirm the game was still on as planned. The representative confirmed the time and location of the contest. Tonight (for the fifth time this season) I arrived only to discover the game cancelled. Since the coaches knew of the cancellation in advance, it is upsetting to waste my time preparing for the game only to be met with this disappointment.

My questions for you... Is this a widespread problem in your Chapter too? What policies/recourses/consequences has your organization put in place to prevent these communication gaps? Has it worked?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

jdw3018 Tue Jan 19, 2010 06:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloybra (Post 653490)
Background... Earlier today I called the high school to which I was assigned to confirm the game was still on as planned. The representative confirmed the time and location of the contest. Tonight (for the fifth time this season) I arrived only to discover the game cancelled. Since the coaches knew of the cancellation in advance, it is upsetting to waste my time preparing for the game only to be met with this disappointment.

My questions for you... Is this a widespread problem in your Chapter too? What policies/recourses/consequences has your organization put in place to prevent these communication gaps? Has it worked?

In previous jurisdictions where I've worked, schools who don't inform officials with enough advanced notice that they don't have to leave to travel to the site must pay the full game fee to the officials even if the game is cancelled.

I don't know if that's the policy where I am now, as I just moved here, but it makes sense.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 19, 2010 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 653492)
In previous jurisdictions where I've worked, schools who don't inform officials with enough advanced notice that they don't have to leave to travel to the site must pay the full game fee to the officials even if the game is cancelled.

I don't know if that's the policy where I am now, as I just moved here, but it makes sense.

Same here. If not notified, the official gets paid the full game fee and travel.

ODJ Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18pm

Get your money. Five times!!

bas2456 Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:25pm

You should probably let someone know as well if it's the fifth time.

JRutledge Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloybra (Post 653490)

First of all we do not have "chapters" and this has nothing to do with anyone but the state, the school and the assignor. And if you do not get contacted, usually the assignor will make an issue from the school for this. This does not typically happen because most assignments are online and all the contact information is shared there. So when there is a cancellation the schools have your information most of the time. Local associations play no role in this situation. They do not assign any games.

Peace