The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question "Countdown" allowed or not?

Had this the other night. Right before the end of the first quarter, the home team had the ball and they were up a few points. It's was obvious they were holding for the last shot of the quarter. This gym has only one scoreboard on the wall and it was "behind" them. When the clock got down to five seconds, the home book keeper at the table started yelling the seconds left really loud, apparently to help his team.

At the half, I told him he couldn't do that as he was part of the officiating crew and had to remain neutral. He apologized and that was that.

We had almost the same game situation near the end of the second quarter and I looked over at the guy. He looked back at me and smiled, then gave the "zip your lip" gesture while nodding his head. The clock went off and we both chuckled.

Would any of your guys done anything different? I didn't want to "punish" the team by blowing the whistle and stopping the clock when he did it, I thought just letting it go and then admonishing him was the best way to handle it.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's how I would have done it.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just a thought, but since there was only one scoreboard on one end of the gym, why wouldn't the clock operator do this anyway, and for both teams at the end of each period?

I do agree it's technically not the book keeper's responsibility, but perhaps they had set up that arrangement at the table because the book person has the louder voice?

Just thinking out loud. (Well, as loud as my keyboard gets.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Just a thought, but since there was only one scoreboard on one end of the gym, why wouldn't the clock operator do this anyway, and for both teams at the end of each period?
The answer that jumps to my mind is: that's not his job.

If coaches or players want to count down, I have no problem with that. Since it does constitute assistance, that's properly the job of a coach or teammate.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think it's a good idea for them to do that even if the agreement was that they would do it for both teams. If Team B never had the ball at that end of the gym as time was running out - it would still appear as if Team A was getting favoritism even if that was not the case - just different circumstances.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If coaches or players want to count down, I have no problem with that. Since it does constitute assistance, that's properly the job of a coach or teammate.
This is what happens during college games, especially with the shot-clock. I would allow that as it isn't in the rulebook that they could not do that. But I wouldn't allow the scorer to do that as it is not listed as one of their duties.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Totally agree
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

As long as we atre talking about the table workers being part of the officiating crew and have to remain neutral, can the person keeping the book for the visiting team assist his coach by answering questions regarding NFHS rules or give his teams coach advice?? If the table is part of the officiating crew most of the games I have seen they do not seem like they are aware of that.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

mb,
I agree. At the same time, ironically, in HS SOCCER games, the timer/announcer is to count down the final 10 seconds.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
As long as we atre talking about the table workers being part of the officiating crew and have to remain neutral, can the person keeping the book for the visiting team assist his coach by answering questions regarding NFHS rules or give his teams coach advice?? If the table is part of the officiating crew most of the games I have seen they do not seem like they are aware of that.
The visitor's book is not really part of the crew, but they are afforded the courtesy of a spot at the table. My only real requirement is that they refrain from commenting about the officiating. I'd have no problem with rules answers or such things, nor even coaching advise. It could be the coach for the next level up.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Concerning countdowns, the past couple of games I've done as shot clock operator in the main gym, it was at the officials' request that the countdown be done under 10-sec. on shot clock. This is done in case the shot clock buzzer goes off for shot clock violations so the timer can buzz as the shot clock buzzer isn't heard that clearly when the crowd is boisterous.

However, the only ones I hear doing the regular clock countdown are fans, coach(es), or teammates.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not talking about a situation where both teams have equal access to the clock(s) on both ends of the court; in that case I agree the table should not be providing extra assitance. I'm talking about this instance where there is only one clock/scoreboard on only one end of the floor, and (go figure) it happens to favor the home team in that it is within their view in the second half.

I had a similar situation come up in an NCAA game involving a shot clock, where one shot clock, on one end of the floor, did not work. We were told by the NCAA rules secretary at the time that it was indeed the table's responsibility to verbally count down the time when the shot clock neared expiration during the possessions on the side where the clock did not work. This was to be done for both teams, in both halves. It was determined that the table needed to provide the information equally to both teams, and it was an unfair advantage for one team to see a clock while the other could not.

I'm just extending that logic to this situation. If there's only one clock/scoreboard, and it's on the side of the court where both teams have to look to the side to see it, then both teams are equally advantaged/disadvantaged, and no additional table help is needed. If there's only one clock on one end, then I would have the table verbally count down (say, under 10 seconds) for each period, for both teams, when the offense is on the opposite end of the floor.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Concerning countdowns, the past couple of games I've done as shot clock operator in the main gym, it was at the officials' request that the countdown be done under 10-sec. on shot clock. This is done in case the shot clock buzzer goes off for shot clock violations so the timer can buzz as the shot clock buzzer isn't heard that clearly when the crowd is boisterous.

However, the only ones I hear doing the regular clock countdown are fans, coach(es), or teammates.
But you are talking about the shot clock operator counting it down for the timer, not so everyone on the court can hear.

Two totally different animals.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
But you are talking about the shot clock operator counting it down for the timer, not so everyone on the court can hear.

Two totally different animals.
Although the shot clock operator may be seated next to the team's bench who might get the violation & the coach can hear the countdown, or the coach can hear the countdown with their team on defense to hold the other team from shooting to make sure they get the shot clock violation.

So in some ways the coach might have an advantage.

Periodically, I've heard the coach start doing the countdown to their team with the shot clock less than 10-sec.

BTW in both gyms, there's a scoreboard on each endline to the left of the backboard (when looking at that backboard). The shot clock displays are located to the right of each backboard.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

What level of basketball was it? If it's a lower level game in a not-so-great facility with a clock the players couldn't see, I'd have no problem with the clock operator calling out the time at the end of periods for BOTH teams. I'd also reccomend if doing this, to let both head coaches know what is going on before the game.