The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Unsportsmanlike?

This happened Fri night BV game. Right at the end of 1st quarter two players go to the ground and one of my partners saw that one sort of pushed and the other pulled him down. Horn goes off and said partner goes to get the two of them basically to warn them to knock it off. One kid stays there to listen the other basically blew him off and turned and walked away...set aside for a moment the question as to why didn't he call the push and/or pull to begin with, what if anything do you do to the kid who blew you off?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:45pm
M.A.S.H.

Sounds like your partner handled the way I would. I probably wouldn't of have a double here. Talk to them and tell them to knock it off. The player that blew your partner off I wouldn't have done anything there. However, that player just showed me he doesn't want to listen; therefore, I'm probably not going to talk to him any longer throughout the game. I'll just blow the whistle.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:49pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
However, that player just showed me he doesn't want to listen; therefore, I'm probably not going to talk to him any longer throughout the game. I'll just blow the whistle.
I agree. Though I won't be targeting the player, he has surrendered his benefit of a doubt card for the rest of the game.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I agree. Though I won't be targeting the player, he has surrendered his benefit of a doubt card for the rest of the game.
Right. To be clear, I'm not going to target that player either.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

Of course. I hope you didn't take it that I was saying that you would.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:08pm
M.A.S.H.

No, no Welpe... certainly not. Just thought I'd clarify before someone did... how I wrote it I suppose one could possibly think that. No worries.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

There was really no need to talk to the players. Just go into the locker/dressing room and discuss the match up with partner(s). Kinda keep an eye of how competitive it is.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

In a JV game this year my partner warned a player in the first half for his mouth after each time he committed a foul. In the 4th quarter he was called for a foul. During the timeout that followed the foul he began to mouth off to me. I warned him and he waved me off over his shoulder as he walked to his bench. That was enough for me after repeated warnings (one in the first half and one before I administered the Tech).

Needless to say, if you try to have a conference with them they probably will walk off. I would run over and sternly say "knock it off" or "calm it down" and then stay with them until they go their seperate ways.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:42pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
In a JV game this year my partner warned a player in the first half for his mouth after each time he committed a foul. In the 4th quarter he was called for a foul. During the timeout that followed the foul he began to mouth off to me. I warned him and he waved me off over his shoulder as he walked to his bench. That was enough for me after repeated warnings (one in the first half and one before I administered the Tech).

Needless to say, if you try to have a conference with them they probably will walk off. I would run over and sternly say "knock it off" or "calm it down" and then stay with them until they go their seperate ways.
For furture reference, that's one too many warnings. A player/coach/bench personal gets one warning from the entire crew. After that, if it occurs again, it's time to take care of bidness.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Tjones thats probably true. However, the last resort for me is giving a Tech. If I give one warning that is all I give. Thats the one I gave him before he waved me off and questioned the call leading to the Tech. He mouthed a little, but I mainly got him for waving me off in the manner he did. Best 10th grader I've seen play, but his attitude will run him into a dead end.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 04:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Tjones thats probably true. However, the last resort for me is giving a Tech. If I give one warning that is all I give. Thats the one I gave him before he waved me off and questioned the call leading to the Tech. He mouthed a little, but I mainly got him for waving me off in the manner he did. Best 10th grader I've seen play, but his attitude will run him into a dead end.
Tjones' point is that your partner's warning was all that was needed. You're a team/crew, and when a player or coach is warned by one, more warnings only perpetuate the problem.

Once he began to mouth off, you T it if he's already been warned.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

I definately see the point. Our association stresses preventive officiating and that we should do everything we can not to administer a technical. Personally, I don't like this point when it comes to technicals. For 3 seconds, little hand checks, and minimum rough post play off the ball I can understand. But we cannot be expected to give mutiple warnings that have no meaning behind them if we are not going to enforce a penalty. My partner in my situation warned the player in the 1st quarter, for me that was a while before the problem I encountered. That is why I gave him a little warning before eventually whacking him.

We had a situation where a official T'd a coach for accusing him of cheating and rigging the game because of the foul differential. And also being on the court when doing so. The official took this and T'd him for "flagrantly" disrespecting an official and for coming onto the court. The association didn't like the way he handled the situation and felt that the coach should have received a warning before being whacked. With a coach accusing an official of cheating I can see that as flagrant in a sense of being a serious act of false accusation, don't know if you could sell it or not though.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 05:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If a coach directly accuses me of cheating, he's done for the night. Flagrant T.

Your association is stupid, IMO. Around here, that would have been an easy one and the association would back me 100%. Sounds to me like coaches there have too much control.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If a coach directly accuses me of cheating, he's done for the night. Flagrant T.

Your association is stupid, IMO. Around here, that would have been an easy one and the association would back me 100%. Sounds to me like coaches there have too much control.
Same here Snaq.

CDurham,

It seems to me that one of the hardest things for officials to learn is that a T is just another kind of foul - once they do, it's usually pretty easy to put it into perspective. The officials aren't responsible for the T, the player or coach is by conduct that violates the rules. I agree with the others here - one warning maximum, then penalize. And there are some situations where they won't even get the warning if their conduct is egregious enough!
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 08:25pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
I definately see the point. Our association stresses preventive officiating and that we should do everything we can not to administer a technical.
Does your association realize this is a scholastic competition and sportsmanship is important? Unsporting acts from a player will get a T from me 95% of the time (no absolutes). Unsporting acts from a coach will get a T from me about 60% of the time.

Your association should never encourage preventative officiating to the point where a T is the last resort.

"I can help someone stop calling Ts, but I can't get someone to start calling Ts." - Donnee Gray