The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I agree 100%. It's beginning to look like the association is all about politics. Which nowadays everything is evolving into politics. You would think the association would want every coach/player to act accordingly, respectfully, and in a mature manner. If they can't they should be penalized and used as an example to show the image/behaviour we accept and approve of. Its bad when an official has to always keep the association in the back of their head when making a decision.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Same here Snaq.

CDurham,

It seems to me that one of the hardest things for officials to learn is that a T is just another kind of foul - once they do, it's usually pretty easy to put it into perspective. The officials aren't responsible for the T, the player or coach is by conduct that violates the rules. I agree with the others here - one warning maximum, then penalize. And there are some situations where they won't even get the warning if their conduct is egregious enough!
This is very true TT. I am a 2nd yr varsity official and it's just starting to hit me that a T is not an indictment of my officiating, but a tool I have that just needs to be used from time to time. I have felt for a few years now that if I give a T it's because I lost control of the game. So far from the truth.

CDurham, your assoc needs to reevaluate. That kind of policy is strangling the power away from the officials and hurting the game/kids. Like Tomegun says, sportsmanship is #1 in scholastic athletics. We are trying to build character in these young adults, not teach them how far they can push while still getting away with it.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Same here Snaq.

CDurham,

It seems to me that one of the hardest things for officials to learn is that a T is just another kind of foul - once they do, it's usually pretty easy to put it into perspective. The officials aren't responsible for the T, the player or coach is by conduct that violates the rules. I agree with the others here - one warning maximum, then penalize. And there are some situations where they won't even get the warning if their conduct is egregious enough!
Agreed. The first time you give a technical is always the hardest technical you will ever give. After that, it gets easier when the situation warrants a technical foul. I will never forget my first technical, I struggled with myself to give the T while the coach was yelling at me all night. Finally did it, it felt good and never heard a word from him the rest of the night.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Durham,

For the last two years in the rules meeting and every area meeting we've been told by the state, by our assigner (in several emails per year too), and by our area supervisor that we collectively are letting waaaay too much unsporting behavior slide w/o enforcement. We are being told at every turn in the road that we as a group are not calling nearly enough technical fouls for unsporting behavior. Last year, an area AD even wrote a letter to the state complaining that no officials were enforcing coaching box restrictions or enforcing rules on coaches unsporting behavior!

The problem, and this may deserve a thread of it's own, is that we are selected for post season by votes of coaches. Every coach you T is one more coach that isn't voting for you.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 07:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Durham,

The problem, and this may deserve a thread of it's own, is that we are selected for post season by votes of coaches. Every coach you T is one more coach that isn't voting for you.
No problem. You can still look at yourself in the mirror after the game, can't you?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
No problem. You can still look at yourself in the mirror after the game, can't you?
Exactly! As our commissioner likes to say, "Don't sell your soul for a bowl of porridge."
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Yep. I can look at myself in the mirror when I am done for the night. During post season, I look at myself in the mirror at home, and I'm just fine with it.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Right. To be clear, I'm not going to target that player either.
As soon as they broke the huddle from the intermission I would have targeted his a$$ for a quick conversation.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I will never forget my first technical, I struggled with myself to give the T while the coach was yelling at me all night. Finally did it, it felt good and never heard a word from him the rest of the night.
My first T was against my son!

Yep, pressed into service several yrs back due to lack of officials - B12U Rec Game. My son is the point guard and as he does a dribble-drive he falls on the horribly slippery gym/cafeteria floor and goes down hard while holding the ball. Me, TWEET! Travelling.

He slams the ball down in frustration and the ball goes about 15-20' in the air as I recall. WHACK!

Sad part was, my wife and my parents were in the gym. It was a rather quiet, chilly ride home........

We can joke about it now (and I'm still married to the same understanding gal).
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
My first T was against my son!

Yep, pressed into service several yrs back due to lack of officials - B12U Rec Game. My son is the point guard and as he does a dribble-drive he falls on the horribly slippery gym/cafeteria floor and goes down hard while holding the ball. Me, TWEET! Travelling.

He slams the ball down in frustration and the ball goes about 15-20' in the air as I recall. WHACK!

Sad part was, my wife and my parents were in the gym. It was a rather quiet, chilly ride home........

We can joke about it now (and I'm still married to the same understanding gal).
HAHAHA! That might be the best T story I've heard so far!