The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

SubWay Blimp on the Court

This was a strange one to me, Jr High Tournamnet, FIBA rules

Team A has ball, Team B blows a defensive assignment. Team A player wide open in the paint, Team A hits him with the pass he is ready to shoot no defensive player within 30 feet of him.

and meanwhile the Subway blimp type balloon is falling over, I can see it out of the corner of my eye and I choose to pretend I don't see it and let the boy shoot. It will have no impact on the play at all and it is a close game, 4th quarter. I figured let him shoot, blow the whistle, fix the balloon

My partner blows it dead just as the ball is about to leave the shooters hands. Damn

Shooters coach, grinds his teeth and shuts his mouth.

I say point of interuption, Team A ball under the net. My partner argues it's possesion arrow, team B ball. Team B coach comes over and my moron partner discusses it him first over me and they argee.

Who is right?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

Team A has ball, Team B blows a defensive assignment. Team A player wide open in the paint, Team A hits him with the pass he is ready to shoot no defensive player within 30 feet of him.

and meanwhile the Subway blimp type balloon is falling over, I can see it out of the corner of my eye and I choose to pretend I don't see it and let the boy shoot. It will have no impact on the play at all and it is a close game, 4th quarter. I figured let him shoot, blow the whistle, fix the balloon

My partner blows it dead just as the ball is about to leave the shooters hands. Damn

I say point of interuption, Team A ball under the net. My partner argues it's possesion arrow, team B ball. Team B coach comes over and my moron partner discusses it him first over me and they argee.

Who is right?
If your partner had waited until the shot was released, and it missed, he'd have been right. As it reads, he was not. Team control was still in place, so an interruption like this would revert to the team who had control. In this case, A.

But gee, I'm glad he discussed it with the other coach first.

Your partner screwed team A twice here.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If your partner had waited until the shot was released, and it missed, he'd have been right. As it reads, he was not. Team control was still in place, so an interruption like this would revert to the team who had control. In this case, A.

But gee, I'm glad he discussed it with the other coach first.

Your partner screwed team A twice here.
Under FIBA rules?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Under FIBA rules?
I sure hope so.

Yeah, I didn't even see "FIBA" when I read it.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I sure hope so.

Yeah, I didn't even see "FIBA" when I read it.
I wuz wondering...probably because I don't have a clue what the right call would be under FIBA rules.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I wuz wondering...probably because I don't have a clue what the right call would be under FIBA rules.
Me neither FIBA is new to me

But I don't believe the rules could take the ball away from a team in such an advantageous position and give it to the other team, through no fault of their's.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Me neither FIBA is new to me

But I don't believe the rules could take the ball away from a team in such an advantageous position and give it to the other team, through no fault of their's.
The question to ask, and the rule to check, is what you do with an inadvertent whistle (accidental whistle). In NFHS rules, you go POI; which only reverts to the arrow in very few situations. We have some FIBA folks who will likely check this thread soon.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Who is right?
1st off, under FIBA rules there is no such provision defined for "point of interuption". Having said that how play is resumed depends on where the ball was at the time of your partner's whistle.

If...

- The shooter (Team A) had not released the ball (still had team control). Team A gets the ball back for the throw in closest point OOB with whatever time was left on the shot clock.

- The shooter had released the ball and scores, count the basket & Team B gets the ball on the endline (before the terminolgy flame war begins... endline is the correct FIBA term {2008 FIBA rules page 7 Rule 2.2.1}) for the throw-in.

- The shooter had released the ball and the try misses or the ball is touched by anyone while in flight, you'd use the AP procedure.

Hope that helps.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 01:49pm
M.A.S.H.

Thanks, Ref_in_Alberta.

Ok, so this is a situation under FIBA that's the same in Fed and NCAA?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

What the heck is a Subway Blimp, and what's it doing falling over onto the key?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:29pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm envisioning one of those little remote controlled blimps that fly around and drop t-shirts on the fans at professional and college games. I used to do athletic promotions at my alma matter (hehe sorry folks) and we had one we'd fly around the stands during dead ball periods. We never had it go Hindenburg on the court though.

Maybe this one drops sandwiches instead?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I guess I left that out

Subway sponsored the tournament and had a large (30 ft) promotional balloon (blimp) in the corner

The ropes gave way and it slooooooooowllly fell on the corner of the court.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Actually, I've seen many of these radio-controlled blimps used for advertising at sporting events:

Picture a "Subway" banner over the sides.

Which brings up an interesting scenario - what if the other team's followers found a way "hijack" the signal and purposely flew it unto the court at that time? Would it be a T on the team who had original control? A T on the team who hijacked the signal? Would Subway have to supply the refs with free sandwiches for a week for having to deal with this issue? Inquiring minds need to know...

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
LOL... there's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Look out Ted!!!! Bam - right in the eye! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Which brings up an interesting scenario - what if the other team's followers found a way "hijack" the signal and purposely flew it unto the court at that time? Would it be a T on the team who had original control? A T on the team who hijacked the signal? Would Subway have to supply the refs with free sandwiches for a week for having to deal with this issue? Inquiring minds need to know...
I think it's the latter. I'm fairly sure I could fit 2 or 3 sandwiches into my bag for the ride home.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!" - Arthur Carlson, WKRP in Cincinnati.

(Used with permission.)