The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Welmer Watch

56 Days, 51 games.

He took the 17th and 18th of December off as well as the 24th through the 26th.

He hasn't had a night off since.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 11:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
56 Days, 51 games.

Slacker!

He probably won't go deep in the tournament again this year for this very reason...... (sarc).
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Aren't there guys on here that claim to work that many games over 2-3 weekends?? I think Welmer's taking it easy!!! We only need to take notice once he starts doing 5-10 in a day.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 12:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
56 Days, 51 games.

Please cross reference the thread involving coaches perceptions of officials and how they rate them.

I've seen Welmer twice this season in person. At a full foot shorter I can cover a court better than him. He looks like he's in serious pain and struggles to get around. Do you think *any* of the coaches, AD's, and conferences notice that or care?
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Please cross reference the thread involving coaches perceptions of officials and how they rate them.

I've seen Welmer twice this season in person. At a full foot shorter I can cover a court better than him. He looks like he's in serious pain and struggles to get around. Do you think *any* of the coaches, AD's, and conferences notice that or care?
From what I've read, they don't care because he doesn't call a lot of fouls and he gladhands with the coaches. Coaches like that he "lets them play", but I have a feeling the NCAA looks at it differently.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I doubt any of his partners call 5 second inbounding calls from trail.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Welmer has scheduled 120 games for the season. The travel is what would wear me out.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 01:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I doubt any of his partners call 5 second inbounding calls from trail.
Doubtful.

I doubt any of my future partners will, either.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 01:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
From what I've read, they don't care because he doesn't call a lot of fouls and he gladhands with the coaches. Coaches like that he "lets them play", but I have a feeling the NCAA looks at it differently.
Well, he sure as heck called one in the last minute of the Cornell/KU game. Probably should have "let them play" on that one.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, he sure as heck called one in the last minute of the Cornell/KU game. Probably should have "let them play" on that one.
You have to think like Welmer in order to ref like Welmer.

Would you rather be chums with the Big XII assignor/coach or chums with the Ivy League assignor/coach?

Hmmm???
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know how he does this. I used to travel (a lot, and for long durations) on business. Two week, multiple city, multiple time zone, trips were at times the norm.

To be able to travel (even assuming first and business class air which domestically is sometimes not available and first class hotels) this much and maintain any sort of performance level is amazing. He apparently feels that he can still offer the best he has in these circumstances. God bless him.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Was at that particular game, lots of fouls called both ways in an attempt to get control of what was a pretty physical game. The one thing that really bothered me was when one of the other refs T'd up Self who wanted a traveling call. During the process, Self is giving Welmer an earful (Welmer didn't call the T) and he promptly goes over to the partner who passed on the traveling and then T'd up Self and - to the crowd - appeared to be explaining to the partner what he "missed" with gestures.

I am sure Welmer was simply telling him what Bill Self was complaining about, but the body language and movements used made it appear to the crowd (and even to a somewhat veteran official like me) that he was lecturing his partner. I would have preferred a less demonstrative discussion between the two officials at a less noticeable time.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmsn View Post
please cross reference the thread involving coaches perceptions of officials and how they rate them.

I've seen welmer twice this season in person. At a full foot shorter i can cover a court better than him. He looks like he's in serious pain and struggles to get around. Do you think *any* of the coaches, ad's, and conferences notice that or care?
no..Ref: 56 days, 51 games

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think they all care. I think each one wishes Welmer would fewer games. But only if fewer games means that he still works their games and rests on the days his other conferences play.