The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Tinnitus anyone?

I know for a fact the ringing in my ears is not from the whistle. Because the summer league games I had, no issues after 3 back to back games.

Come November, I attend a concert and wear no hearing protection, I don't even think to wear any, ringing in my ears since.

Now, after each game, the ringing is louder for about 24-36 hours, then goes back to the same level. I am going to a ENT Doctor in two weeks.

I am just wondering if anyone else has Tinnitus, because this is my first year, and I would really dislike not being able to continue reffing because of it

Oscar
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

If you have an iPhone, you can test your own hearing with uHear:
Hearing Loss - Treatment - Test Yourself
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If you have an iPhone, you can test your own hearing with uHear:
Hearing Loss - Treatment - Test Yourself
I do not. AT&T don't like us down here in my area!
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quietus

I have tinnitus but it comes from shooting guns for over 30 years and using power equipment. Anyway, there is something on the market now called Quietus (Quietus for Tinnitus Relief | Welcome! Find Tinnitus relief products, as well as other ear health products and information.) that is advertised to silence the ringing. I don't know if it works or not since I haven't tried it yet, but it might be worth a conversation with your doctor.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Bp

High blood pressue will cause T.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
High blood pressue will cause T.

Yeah, I read that also. AFAIK, my last checkup everything was solid, but that was back in late August.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
I have tinnitus but it comes from shooting guns for over 30 years and using power equipment. Anyway, there is something on the market now called Quietus (Quietus for Tinnitus Relief | Welcome! Find Tinnitus relief products, as well as other ear health products and information.) that is advertised to silence the ringing. I don't know if it works or not since I haven't tried it yet, but it might be worth a conversation with your doctor.
I have already read up on that, and am highly thinking about purchasing it. As of now, at 150 dollars for 3 bottles, I am willing to spend that cash just to see if it stops, or reduces the ringing. Since this will be the first time I will see a ENT, I am waiting to hear what he has to say, before purchasing Quietus.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
There is another thing out now, I actually just heard it advertised on the radio today. Can't remember what it is called. I think you go to the doctor and he'll put headphones over the ear with the T and will play a series of loud, annoying sounds through your ear. It's supposed to get rid of it somehow, but not sure what the success rate would be. If I hear it on the radio again, I'll let you know of it. Mention it to your doctor if you'd like, but it seems to be pretty new so he/she might not know about it yet.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
There is another thing out now, I actually just heard it advertised on the radio today. Can't remember what it is called. I think you go to the doctor and he'll put headphones over the ear with the T and will play a series of loud, annoying sounds through your ear. It's supposed to get rid of it somehow, but not sure what the success rate would be. If I hear it on the radio again, I'll let you know of it. Mention it to your doctor if you'd like, but it seems to be pretty new so he/she might not know about it yet.
A lot of stations play that loud, annoying sound all the time. No need to look far or pay a doctor for it.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 07:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I spoke with someone who used to work for an otolaryngologist (eye, ear, nose and throat doctor) and while she isn't a doctor or a nurse, she is very familiar with how tinnitus is treated. The "headphone" treatment mentioned earlier is called "Noisebreakers". It forces loud tones into the patients ears that have a different frequency than the frequency of the noise he or she is hearing. My source says it's not extremely successful, especially if the tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noises and not by fluid buildup in the ear canal.

Unfortunately, she said sometimes it just isn't curable. She also noted there are "tinnitus clinics" in some major cities which also sponsor support groups.

DISCLAIMER: Please note I am not representing this information as medical advice. Only a licensed medical professional can provide that.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 09:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
High blood pressure will cause T.
Okay. Certain abbreviations on this forum usually mean one thing. Not to take away from the gravity of the OP's concerns, but I immediately thought that coaches with high blood pressure get the most technical fouls called on them.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely wait until you see the ENT before spending your cash. As a couple of the others said high blood pressure can cause this. I know in my case once I got my blood pressure under control I very rarely have any ringing in my ears. As you have experienced it is not a pleasant condition.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

I smashed my head into a concrete wall 27 years ago. BAD BICYCLE ACCIDENT! My right has been ringing ever since. Nerve damage. Doctor says no cure. I can not hear soft sounds nor high pitch sounds.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbo View Post
I know for a fact the ringing in my ears is not from the whistle. Because the summer league games I had, no issues after 3 back to back games.

Come November, I attend a concert and wear no hearing protection, I don't even think to wear any, ringing in my ears since.

Now, after each game, the ringing is louder for about 24-36 hours, then goes back to the same level. I am going to a ENT Doctor in two weeks.

I am just wondering if anyone else has Tinnitus, because this is my first year, and I would really dislike not being able to continue reffing because of it

Oscar
Showbo,
I have had a very bad case of Tinnitus for many years -- way to many concerts: Who, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Jethro Tull, Styx, Kansas, Genesis, Black Sabbath, Journey, Asia, Yes, Rolling Stones, Michael Stanley and the list goes on and on.

I have gotten fairly used to it over the years. It also gives me a good excuse for not hearing at certain times of the day.

I have heard the ads for Quietus on the radio. I may give it a try -- I think XM subscribers might be eligible for a free trial. I am not counting on it. The way I look at it is the ringing makes it more difficult for me to make out the other voices in my head.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I am a music teacher, an avid hunter and official. I have always been concerned with my ears/hearing. I have gone to an audiologist and have been fitted for a pair of special custom ear plugs. These plugs filter the sounds that cause problems and cut sounds of certain frequency - lowering decibel's to a safe range.

Basically they work like this - once you put them in you can stand if front of a pep band, on a firing range, or with a person blowing whistle in your ear - yet still hear a normal conversation with the person standing next to you. They h ave been great, and are comfortable. No problems with normal conversation with or without other noise around. You can have them customized for shooting, music, gunfire, etc or for all. They are not cheap - I paid around $300 for the first set - but upgraded so that one set would cover everything. However - they last. I've had them for 17 years and they are still good. I work with the wife of the guy that fitted them and see him fairly often. He has checked them - and they are still like new. Just follow the directions for cleaning and you'll have no problems. he told me that the only thing you need to worry about is not losing them. I'd ask when you go to the ENT.