The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Possession Arrow

Here is the situation:

Jump ball called. We take the ball out. Our inbounds pass is terrible and goes out of bounds without being touched. Our opponent is given the ball and the possession arrow switched too. Now I am not 100% on this, but I argued that the possession arrow should have not been switched. What is right?
I thought the ball had to be touched inbounds to switch the arrow.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampuppy View Post
Here is the situation:

Jump ball called. We take the ball out. Our inbounds pass is terrible and goes out of bounds without being touched. Our opponent is given the ball and the possession arrow switched too. Now I am not 100% on this, but I argued that the possession arrow should have not been switched. What is right?
You violated by not completing a legal throw-in. That ends your "use" of the arrow. It was correctly switched.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 02:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Here is the situation:

bob's right, so were the officials. You were incorrect. You can't just make up your own rules.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't make up any rules... I was not for sure about it. But I was just wondering why they always tell the scorers table to wait until the ball is caught inbound before they switch the arrow. Now I get it , but thanks for the smart mouth response snaqwells it was greatly appreciated.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But I was just wondering why they always tell the scorers table to wait until the ball is caught inbound before they switch the arrow.
They do that because if the defensive team violates or fouls, the arrow stays with your team. Lets say one of your players had gotten fouled before the ball was inbounded. Then your team would have gotten the ball, plus the arrow would have stayed.

Quote:
Now I get it , but thanks for the smart mouth response snaqwells it was greatly appreciated.
He was joking. Ease up.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Wasn't make up any rules... I was not for sure about it. But I was just wondering why they always tell the scorers table to wait until the ball is caught inbound before they switch the arrow. Now I get it , but thanks for the smart mouth response snaqwells it was greatly appreciated.
fiasco got it, but I'm not sure you caught it, coach.

For the reference to this inside joke, see the other thread you started, and your own smart mouth comments about the officials in that game.

Just in case you have a hard time finding them:
Count it?

Count it?

Last edited by Adam; Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 03:04pm.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

For clarification I NEVER said to the official in question 'you can 't change the rules'. But that is, in essence, what he did. I don't know how stating what happened is smartmouth. Even Snaqwells admitted that in his posts that the travel and counted basket was incorrectly ruled. I said at the beginning of this post that I wasn't for sure about the possession arrow so I asked in this forum. I was pretty sure I was wrong, but just wanted to understand the rule.

That said, I know that I will never coach a 100% perfect game and my players will never play a 100% perfect game. So I always tell my players there has never been a 100% perfectly refereed game so don't expect to see one tonight. Get over the calls they are PART of the game. I have and will never blame a loss or credit a win to a referees call. So, I really wasn't complaining about the calls just trying to get clarification. I truly believe that referrees are trying just as hard as coaches and players to get it right. So try not to be so defensive when I question a refs call, we are all gonna make mistakes man up and admit when you did.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I always tell my players there has never been a 100% perfectly refereed game so don't expect to see one tonight. Get over the calls they are PART of the game.
You pregame with your players about the officiating????
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
So I always tell my players there has never been a 100% perfectly refereed game...
Then you've never seen me work a game by myself.

BTW - since the ball went OOB untouched, the subsequent inbound spot would be the same as where you originally took the ball out, not where it "went" out. Was this the case?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I never suggested you said it to the officials, or I would have suggested he should have served some T.

I also agree the shot should not have counted.

I did, however, consider your comment, "you can't just make up a rule," to be a bit harsh under the circumstances. I won't re-explain that opinion here, though, as I noted that in the appropriate thread. Repeating it here doesn't help you, frankly. He didn't change the rules, he misapplied them. There's a big difference.

Here, I was just needling you a bit.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

No I don't mention the referees in a pre game talk. But invariably high school kids and parents always want to blame the referees for outcomes of games. So that is what I meant when I said I always tell them to remember that calls are PART of the game.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:55pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
They do that because if the defensive team violates or fouls, the arrow stays with your team. Lets say one of your players had gotten fouled before the ball was inbounded. Then your team would have gotten the ball, plus the arrow would have stayed.
fiasco is correct. Just to add, the same is true if the offensive team commits a foul before the throw-in ends. The arrow would not change.

6.4.5 Situation A Comment
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No I don't mention the referees in a pre game talk. But invariably high school kids and parents always want to blame the referees for outcomes of games. So that is what I meant when I said I always tell them to remember that calls are PART of the game.
This is a good point. We miss stuff; not only because we're human and sometimes forget or misapply a rule, but sometimes we get caught out of position or other players get in our line of sight.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 04:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
They do that because if the defensive team violates or fouls, the arrow stays with your team. Lets say anyone had gotten fouled before the throw-in ended, then the arrow would have stayed.

He was joking. Ease up.
Fixed it for you.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 04:10pm.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Fixed it for you.
Good call to you and tjones....I had actually forgotten about that...