The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm a Ball Watcher...

"Watching balls go by."

Well according to a fellow official that was waiting for his game after mine, I was doing a bit of ball watching outside of my PCA. He didn't offer any specific details after I asked but said he noticed I was doing it at both lead and trail. We don't often get other officials observing us so this is good information to hear. I thought I was doing a good job of focusing in my area too as I was picking up off ball contact and talking with the post players at lead but maybe not as well as I thought.

Does anybody have any tips to ensure you are staying in your PCA?

A couple of situations where I'm wondering if my fellow official noticed what I was doing and felt I was ball watching too much. I'd appreciate any feedback on these:

I've been trying to feel out where the ball is to know if I should have on-ball coverage or not by using occasional, quick glances towards the ball. Is this a bad idea?

Also, I find while at lead and a player attempts a 3-point shot, I will mark the attempt, follow the shooter up and down and then take a quick glance to the basket to indicate if the shot is successful or not. I then look back to the shooter to see if there's any late contact. Should I be doing something different here?

Thanks!
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

GJV yesterday. My partner was definitely ball watching. He called a held ball in my PCA that I was passing on because one player was pulling the ball out. He killed the play . At halftime I mentioned that I was intentionally passing on the call in my PCA. He started to get defensive/explain his side of it. I dropped it and didn't give him any other input. Second half, we had two double whistles. FIrst one, we came togewther and without hearing his side I firmly said, "Its my Primary, we're going with a foul, not a travel." Second one I didn't even get with him when when he called held ball, I just said out loud, "No. I had a travel first." He never got any of the hints. Hope I don't see him again this year. Nice guy. Poor ref.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
A couple of situations where I'm wondering if my fellow official noticed what I was doing and felt I was ball watching too much. I'd appreciate any feedback on these:

I've been trying to feel out where the ball is to know if I should have on-ball coverage or not by using occasional, quick glances towards the ball. Is this a bad idea?
Ball watching means you're following the ball and not your PCA.

It sounds as if you're almost trying to NOT see the ball. There's no reason for that. Knowing where the ball is and being able to see it is not ball watching. You should stay wide enough to officiate your area but still be able to see the ball in most situations and offer your partner(s), help if needed.

Quote:
Also, I find while at lead and a player attempts a 3-point shot, I will mark the attempt, follow the shooter up and down and then take a quick glance to the basket to indicate if the shot is successful or not. I then look back to the shooter to see if there's any late contact. Should I be doing something different here?
You either have the shot or the shooter, not both. Trust your partner(s).

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Watching balls go by."

Well according to a fellow official that was waiting for his game after mine, I was doing a bit of ball watching outside of my PCA. He didn't offer any specific details after I asked but said he noticed I was doing it at both lead and trail. We don't often get other officials observing us so this is good information to hear. I thought I was doing a good job of focusing in my area too as I was picking up off ball contact and talking with the post players at lead but maybe not as well as I thought.

We have 1 evaluator in our area that always says we all are ball hawking. This is from the very best officials we have to the ones working their first varsity game. When I started hearing this I started watching guys, and I think this is part of the problem. 1) yes sometimes guys do watch the ball, and should concentrate on PCA, but not always. There are times that the ball is "behind" your PCA and while watching the PCA you also are "facing the ball" giving the perception that you are watching it while in reality, it just happens to also be in your line of sight.
IMHO
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Welpe - I find that I get into the "bad habit" of ball watching when I do a lot of Wreck Ball with none-so-experienced officials.

I find when I get to my HS games a good pregame gets my mind straight and I work really hard in that area. Sometimes I catch myself and concentrate real hard not to do it....and of course my partners will tell me if I'm having issues in that area. It's an area of my game I constantly work on.

For me; More Rec = More Ball watching.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:33pm
Huck Finn

Watch the defense and find competitive match-ups in your primary. Find the numbers of the defenders in your primary and know what they are doing.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Welpe;647387Does anybody have any tips to ensure you are staying in your PCA?[/QUOTE]

Make some "play-byplay" announcer talk to your self. "Her's blue 21 coming to set a screnn -- that was legal. Now blue 21 is rolling to the basket --white 15 is contacting him but not impeding -- no foul. Oh -- they're getting ready for a rebound -- blue 13 has good position. White 3 has his hands in blue's back -- there's the displacement and no rebound. Tweet."
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Watching balls go by."

Thanks!

I confess, I find myself doing it from time to time. Hard habit to break
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Make some "play-byplay" announcer talk to your self. "Her's blue 21 coming to set a screnn -- that was legal. Now blue 21 is rolling to the basket --white 15 is contacting him but not impeding -- no foul. Oh -- they're getting ready for a rebound -- blue 13 has good position. White 3 has his hands in blue's back -- there's the displacement and no rebound. Tweet."
I agree with Bob. Talk with yourself. One of the outstanding college officials that worked with me this summer stood behind me and talked outloud so I could hear what he "would be saying in his head". It's improved my game tremendously, especially on traveling violations.

-Josh
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
You either have the shot or the shooter, not both. Trust your partner(s).
I was under the impression that in 2-person mechanics, that if the three point attempt is in your primary, you are responsible for indicating if it is successful or not. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks folks for the feedback, that is just what I was looking for.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:45pm
This IS My Social Life

Start In PCA to Stay In PCA

Quote:
Try this:
Make an effort to start in your PCA in order to more regularly stay in your PCA. Emphasis upon "start."
Upon setting up in your initial position, be it L, C, or T, manually, subtlely, and briefly raise your arms so that they each point down the approximate line of the left and right borders of your PCA. Then say to yourself, "I've got this area right here." When setting up as C, say to yourself, "I've got the action on this side of the court." In other words, once you've established for yourself the area that is your primary, it's easier to focus on that area while remaining aware of where the ball is outside of your PCA as necessary.
The problem many may have (and me, too, until doing this every time) is that they initially set up with their eye on the ball outside their PCA, then never get a chance to determine the approximate borders of their PCA. They start outside their area and never get themselves back in. They start out ill-focused, and keep that ill-focus throughout whatever play develops thereupon. They get caught up in the game and never draw their focus into their PCA until something happens there, and then it's often to late to observe a play develop or see what's been happening that demands attention.
Do this not only when the ball changes ends, but upon each rotation also.
Stay in your PCA by visually establishing for yourself your PCA upon setting up on every play.
Might be overly simple, a bit ridiculous or it might not work for others. But it works for me. And, as always, I'd be interested in any critique to this method that may come along in response.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Dec 31, 2009 at 02:55pm. Reason: to see if BillyMac is online
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Try this:
Make an effort to start in your PCA in order to more regularly stay in your PCA. Emphasis upon "start."
Upon setting up in your initial position, be it L, C, or T, manually, subtlely, and briefly raise your arms so that they each point down the approximate line of the left and right borders of your PCA. Then say to yourself, "I've got this area right here." When setting up as C, say to yourself, "I've got the action on this side of the court." In other words, once you've established for yourself the area that is your primary, it's easier to focus on that area while remaining aware of where the ball is outside of your PCA as necessary.
The problem many may have (and me, too, until doing this every time) is that they initially set up with their eye on the ball outside their PCA, then never get a chance to determine the approximate borders of their PCA. They start outside their area and never get themselves back in. They start out ill-focused, and keep that ill-focus throughout whatever play develops thereupon. They get caught up in the game and never draw their focus into their PCA until something happens there, and then it's often to late to observe a play develop or see what's been happening that demands attention.
Do this not only when the ball changes ends, but upon each rotation also.
Stay in your PCA by visually establishing for yourself your PCA upon setting up on every play.
Might be overly simple, a bit ridiculous or it might not work for others. But it works for me. And, as always, I'd be interested in any critique to this method that may come along in response.
Sounds like a good checkpoint to reinforce yourself on your area. Whatever works.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I agree with Bob. Talk with yourself. One of the outstanding college officials that worked with me this summer stood behind me and talked outloud so I could hear what he "would be saying in his head". It's improved my game tremendously, especially on traveling violations.

-Josh
Bob/Josh
Thanks for a great tip. As a 2nd yr. it's a part of my game where I no where close to being pleased with my progress in this area.
However, I've learned from reading some of the vets replies to the OP, that it's something that even the very experienced refs can slip into, and that evaluators at all levels are looking to see if you're guilty of doing it....whether they're evaluating newbies like me or seasoned vets.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 03:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Bob/Josh
Thanks for a great tip. As a 2nd yr. it's a part of my game where I no where close to being pleased with my progress in this area.
However, I've learned from reading some of the vets replies to the OP, that it's something that even the very experienced refs can slip into, and that evaluators at all levels are looking to see if you're guilty of doing it....whether they're evaluating newbies like me or seasoned vets.
I'm still working on it, and find myself slipping now and then. One thing I'm trying to do is constantly remind me of where my PCA is. Another thing I'm working on now is, if I see something outside my PCA, I don't call it.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was under the impression that in 2-person mechanics, that if the three point attempt is in your primary, you are responsible for indicating if it is successful or not. Am I wrong about that?
Yes. Also the trail will mirror the lead's sucessful 3 point goal signal.