The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

The perception that one coach can bully you into making calls will definitely cause you problems. The coach cannot be allowed to persist in calling the game from the bench. A quiet word very soon after the behavior begins should do the job. If not, take stronger measures.

Also, if you are repeatedly on the hot seat because of the new FT mechanic, my advice is to force a switch to get yourself out of a bad situation. Then when your partner calls the next hand check, it should diminish the perception that you personally are being controlled.

Just my $0.02
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Don't sweat it. A simple, "Why are you yelling when you are getting calls? Just stop." would most likely work. The film will show the other coach the the calls were correct. Film is your best friend when you are right.
There are a lot of things you could say in your bid to disarm the coach. I'm not sure this is one of the better ones. Also film may be your friend in the long run, but it won't help the immediate situation.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 01:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Question, would any of you handled this situation specially? Would any of you perhaps said anything to A's coach about toning it down? Since the home team had the ball when A's coach was yelling it was quiet enough for the whole gym to hear. I'm sure it appeared (to some biased viewers) that my whistle was prompted by the A coach's plea. When in fact, he was just anticipating B being too aggressive and fouling and I was, of course, reacting to the players' actions.
Before or after reporting the first foul I would have addressed Coach A, probably with a subdued, subtle message. If happened again, it would be addressed with a prominent "That's enough Coach!". Don't think there would be a 3rd time.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburt View Post
Why were you the T in all instances? Maybe a switch on the fouls would have given your partner a chance to make one of the calls.
New two person mechanic. Calling official stays table side when FTs are to be shot. We were in bonus.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I agree that in this situation, forcing a switch may have been useful, but it's covering up the problem rather than addressing it. They should've shut the coach down earlier.

You and others are right, Rich. I should have said something to A's coach the first time. We had a good rapport going throughout the game and I bet he would have responded favorably. Shoot! Luckily the situation didn't send the game into a talespin, (far from it, I think my post sounds more severe than it really was) but it's definitely a good learning experience for a new V official.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 02:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
We had a good rapport going throughout the game and I bet he would have responded favorably.
You'll learn.

That "good rapport" will go right in the dumper as soon as you make a key call that he doesn't like. Just do your job. And part of doing your job is not letting any coach try to do it for you, no matter how friendly they might try to be while doing so.

There's all kinds of different tactics that coaches will use to try to influence your calls. Killing you with kindness is one of 'em.

Be polite, say as little as possible and stay away from the coaches unless necessary to do your job. That's the best rapport that you'll ever have imo.