The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Did they get it right? AZ/Lipscomb

Lipscomb 82, Arizona 83 OT

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Nic Wise hit a 3-pointer with 0.1 second left in overtime Monday to give Arizona an 83-82 victory over Lipscomb.
After Lipscomb's Adnan Hodzic missed the second of two free throws to make it 82-80 with 4.7 seconds left, Arizona got the rebound and scrambled downcourt for a final shot. Wise threw up his desperation shot just as the buzzer sounded. It hit nothing but net.Wise finished with 26 points for the Wildcats (5-5), who are 2-1 in overtime games this season.Hodzic had 34 points for Lipscomb (4-7).The Bison led most of the game before UA's Derrick Williams scored off an offensive rebound to tie it at 52.Lipscomb's Brian Wright hit a 3-pointer with 1.5 seconds left after Jordan Burgason missed a 3-pointer with 3 seconds left to tie it at 69 and send it into overtime.
========================================
Did anyone else see the finish of this game?

I'm convinced that this try was not released in time. It will be nice to have another look at it when the video hits ESPN and youtube. I can't understand why the coutside monitors are so dang small. On a play as close as this, that has to make it extra difficult for the officials.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Lipscomb 82, Arizona 83 OT

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Nic Wise hit a 3-pointer with 0.1 second left in overtime Monday to give Arizona an 83-82 victory over Lipscomb.
After Lipscomb's Adnan Hodzic missed the second of two free throws to make it 82-80 with 4.7 seconds left, Arizona got the rebound and scrambled downcourt for a final shot. Wise threw up his desperation shot just as the buzzer sounded. It hit nothing but net.Wise finished with 26 points for the Wildcats (5-5), who are 2-1 in overtime games this season.Hodzic had 34 points for Lipscomb (4-7).The Bison led most of the game before UA's Derrick Williams scored off an offensive rebound to tie it at 52.Lipscomb's Brian Wright hit a 3-pointer with 1.5 seconds left after Jordan Burgason missed a 3-pointer with 3 seconds left to tie it at 69 and send it into overtime.
========================================
Did anyone else see the finish of this game?

I'm convinced that this try was not released in time. It will be nice to have another look at it when the video hits ESPN and youtube. I can't understand why the coutside monitors are so dang small. On a play as close as this, that has to make it extra difficult for the officials.
Did you find a video of it anywhere? I'd have to see it, I didn't actually watch the game on TV
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

ESPN showed this play this morning.
The 'Red light' behind the backbosrd was lit before the ball was released, but the game clock showed .1 when the ball was released. They counted the basket. Oh it was also a 3 point shot. AZ wins by 1 point.
If we had replay in Missouri for a State championship game, then per NFHS rules we would use the red light. No Basket.
What does NCAA rules say?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Here are the relevant NCAA rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
ESPN showed this play this morning.
The 'Red light' behind the backbosrd was lit before the ball was released, but the game clock showed .1 when the ball was released. They counted the basket. Oh it was also a 3 point shot. AZ wins by 1 point.
If we had replay in Missouri for a State championship game, then per NFHS rules we would use the red light. No Basket.
What does NCAA rules say?
NCAA rule 2-13.
Art. 3. When there is a reading of zeros on the game clock and after making a call on the playing court, the officials shall use such available equipment in the following situations:
a. Determine whether a try for field goal entering the basket was released before the reading of zeros on the game clock at the end of the first half, or at the end of the second half/extra period only when necessary to determine the outcome of a game. (See Rule 5-7.2.b.) When it is determined that the try for goal was successful, the official is permitted to put the exact time back on the game clock as to when the ball passed through the net.
Art. 4. In games with a 10th-of-a-second game clock display and where an official courtside monitor is used, the reading of zeros on the game clock is to be used to determine whether a try for goal, a shot-clock violation or a foul occurred before or after the expiration of time in any period. When the game clock is not visible, the officials shall verify the original call with the use of the red/LED light(s). When the red/LED light(s) are not visible, the sounding of the game-clock horn shall be utilized. When definitive information is unattainable with the use of the monitor, the original call stands.

NCAA rule 5-7.
Art. 2. Each period shall end when the red light or LED lights have become activated. When the light fails to operate or is not visible, each period shall end with the sounding of the game-clock horn.
a. In games when the red light is not present, the game-clock horn shall terminate players’ activity.
b. In games with a 10th-of-a-second game clock display and where an official courtside monitor is used, the reading of zeros on the game clock is to be used to determine whether a try for goal occurred before or after the expiration of time in any period. When the game clock is not visible, the officials shall verify the original call with the use of the red/LED light(s). When the red/LED light(s) are not visible, the sounding of the game-clock horn shall be utilized. When definitive information is unattainable with the use of the monitor, the original call stands.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Saw it on ESPN, the game clock (above the board) said 0.0, and the light had gone on. The clock display on the monitor, however, showed 0.1 when he released. I'm guessing they missed this due to the small monitor size.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Here it is.

YouTube - Lipscomb getting game taken away from them against Arizona, 12/21/09
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a Lipscomb grad, and I think they got the call right. If the standard is "conclusive evidence to overturn," the replay just doesn't have it. If the shot is ruled late on the floor, I suspect that call would have been upheld too.

There were plenty of calls the refs missed, of course. Arizona went 15 minutes of the second half between team fouls, all while Lipscomb was pounding the ball inside to their big man. At the end of OT, Lipscomb was still in the 1+1.

So maybe "we wuz robbed," or maybe we're just bad at closing out close games.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Saw it on ESPN, the game clock (above the board) said 0.0, and the light had gone on. The clock display on the monitor, however, showed 0.1 when he released. I'm guessing they missed this due to the small monitor size.
What makes me scratch my head is... How can the game clock (above the board) said 0.0, and the clock display on the monitor, show 0.1 when he released.
Two different clock, showing two different times at the same time.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

The comments from the guy who posted the video says: "The refs had been giving every call to UofA the entire game..."

So the box score will show Arizona was called for no violations or fouls?

Another county heard from.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The comments from the guy who posted the video says: "The refs had been giving every call to UofA the entire game..."

So the box score will show Arizona was called for no violations or fouls?

Another county heard from.
Here's a link to the box score; for the second half it isn't much off of that. Too bad they don't put the nature of turnovers in the box score or we'd have a better picture of it. (Didn't see the game myself and stats don't tell all the story.) But they also don't tell you that this game was called fairly.
Lipscomb vs Arizona (12/21/09 at Olson Court, McKale Center, Tucson, AZ)
________
BEAUTYTITS live

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:12pm.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Look at the game clock on the bottom of the screen and the clock on the shot clock area?

Clock disparity

According to ESPN, the officials used the clock on the bottom of the screen.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I heard them say that this morning, but I don't trust their explanation unless they're quoting sources.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
So the box score will show Arizona was called for no violations or fouls
Close, in the second half at least. 3 violations (non-steal turnovers) and 1 foul between the 18 minute mark and the last media timeout.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
What makes me scratch my head is... How can the game clock (above the board) said 0.0, and the clock display on the monitor, show 0.1 when he released.
Two different clock, showing two different times at the same time.
Most of the time, the clock on the TV screen is run by some guy (or gal) in the truck. It periodically gets reset to match the clock in the arena. In many games, you can see the clock time change a few times between what it shows when they go to commercial and when they come back, for intstance.

When the above is true, the clock on the screen can NOT be used for official timing or the monitor review.

In some instances (and probably more now than before), the clock on the TV screen is synchronized with the official clock in the arena. In these instances, it can be used during the monitor review.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 05:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Most of the time, the clock on the TV screen is run by some guy (or gal) in the truck. It periodically gets reset to match the clock in the arena. In many games, you can see the clock time change a few times between what it shows when they go to commercial and when they come back, for intstance.

When the above is true, the clock on the screen can NOT be used for official timing or the monitor review.

In some instances (and probably more now than before), the clock on the TV screen is synchronized with the official clock in the arena. In these instances, it can be used during the monitor review.
This example was an actual picture of the game clock where the clock was a .01 off from the shot clock. Not talking about the graphic clock that is on many games you see in both football and basketball that is apart of the of the graphics score that is on the bottom.

Peace