The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 04:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Hey "Nike Pants"

Eighth grade girls rec game this morning. One of the players was wearing long shorts with "NIKE" lettering arched across the back. The girls on her team, and her coach, called her "Nike Pants" the whole game. It was weird to hear the coach say to a girl, "Go in for Nike Pants".

During a free throw lineup, I asked one of her teammates, "So, you all call her Nike Pants?" She replied, "Yeah, except at practice. Then we call her Nike Butt. But the coach told us not to call her that at games because of all the parents."
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Eighth grade girls rec game this morning. One of the players was wearing long shorts with "NIKE" lettering arched across the back.
Illegal uniform. Not that I'm suggesting you ask her to take them off, lest you be excoriated in the local fish wrap.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Illegal uniform. Not that I'm suggesting you ask her to take them off, lest you be excoriated in the local fish wrap.
Rec games, I never worry about illegal equipment except those under the "dangerous" section in the rulebook (i.e. jewelry, necklaces, etc.)

Having said that, I realized at the end of one of the rec games I did a girl was wearing an earring. I didn't catch this during the game so I just told the coach "make sure she's not wearing that earring in their your game, she just got away with it today because I didn't catch it".
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Illegal uniform in a rec league??

For once I'm not listening to Bob.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Illegal uniform in a rec league??

For once I'm not listening to Bob.
are you saying having "NIKE" isn't illegal? Or are you just saying that you wouldn't worry about that in a rec game like me?
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
are you saying having "NIKE" isn't illegal? Or are you just saying that you wouldn't worry about that in a rec game like me?

I'm saying in a rec league be happy if they all have numbers.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm saying in a rec league be happy if they all have numbers.
I would be more happy if they have numbers on the front of the jersey too haha. The two different biddy leagues I regularly officiate, they only have numbers on the back. I'm sure this is to save on money, which I don't blame them. But there's something uneasy about telling little boys and girls "turn around" so I can get their number.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 06:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I would be more happy if they have numbers on the front of the jersey too haha. The two different biddy leagues I regularly officiate, they only have numbers on the back. I'm sure this is to save on money, which I don't blame them. But there's something uneasy about telling little boys and girls "turn around" so I can get their number.
True, and while some catch on, it's often comical to try to walk around behind the kid to read the number, only to have him turn around and around and continue to face you.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 06:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I hate that too

Quote:
But there's something uneasy about telling little boys and girls "turn around" so I can get their number.
Did it all summer during Rec League. ARGH!

My son's current team has dark purple jerseys with black numbers.....no way to see the numbers unless you're within a few feet of the player. Brilliant choice by the league!
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You'd End Up On A List, And Not Santa's List ...

Quote:
But there's something uneasy about telling little boys and girls "turn around" so I can get their number.
Better than saying, "Turn around so that I can get a better look at you".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Eighth grade girls rec game this morning. One of the players was wearing long shorts with "NIKE" lettering arched across the back. The girls on her team, and her coach, called her "Nike Pants" the whole game. It was weird to hear the coach say to a girl, "Go in for Nike Pants".

During a free throw lineup, I asked one of her teammates, "So, you all call her Nike Pants?" She replied, "Yeah, except at practice. Then we call her Nike Butt. But the coach told us not to call her that at games because of all the parents."
Nice butt...

Just don't do it.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, and while some catch on, it's often comical to try to walk around behind the kid to read the number, only to have him turn around and around and continue to face you.
Been there quite a few times haha.