The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hey "Nike Pants" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56011-hey-nike-pants.html)

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 19, 2009 04:52pm

Hey "Nike Pants"

Eighth grade girls rec game this morning. One of the players was wearing long shorts with "NIKE" lettering arched across the back. The girls on her team, and her coach, called her "Nike Pants" the whole game. It was weird to hear the coach say to a girl, "Go in for Nike Pants".

During a free throw lineup, I asked one of her teammates, "So, you all call her Nike Pants?" She replied, "Yeah, except at practice. Then we call her Nike Butt. But the coach told us not to call her that at games because of all the parents." :D

bob jenkins Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 644201)
Eighth grade girls rec game this morning. One of the players was wearing long shorts with "NIKE" lettering arched across the back.

Illegal uniform. Not that I'm suggesting you ask her to take them off, lest you be excoriated in the local fish wrap.

representing Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 644212)
Illegal uniform. Not that I'm suggesting you ask her to take them off, lest you be excoriated in the local fish wrap.

Rec games, I never worry about illegal equipment except those under the "dangerous" section in the rulebook (i.e. jewelry, necklaces, etc.)

Having said that, I realized at the end of one of the rec games I did a girl was wearing an earring. I didn't catch this during the game so I just told the coach "make sure she's not wearing that earring in their your game, she just got away with it today because I didn't catch it".

just another ref Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 644212)

Illegal uniform in a rec league??

For once I'm not listening to Bob.

representing Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 644217)
Illegal uniform in a rec league??

For once I'm not listening to Bob.

are you saying having "NIKE" isn't illegal? Or are you just saying that you wouldn't worry about that in a rec game like me?

just another ref Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 644219)
are you saying having "NIKE" isn't illegal? Or are you just saying that you wouldn't worry about that in a rec game like me?

I'm saying in a rec league be happy if they all have numbers.

representing Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 644222)
I'm saying in a rec league be happy if they all have numbers.

I would be more happy if they have numbers on the front of the jersey too haha. The two different biddy leagues I regularly officiate, they only have numbers on the back. I'm sure this is to save on money, which I don't blame them. But there's something uneasy about telling little boys and girls "turn around" so I can get their number.

just another ref Sat Dec 19, 2009 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 644223)
I would be more happy if they have numbers on the front of the jersey too haha. The two different biddy leagues I regularly officiate, they only have numbers on the back. I'm sure this is to save on money, which I don't blame them. But there's something uneasy about telling little boys and girls "turn around" so I can get their number.

True, and while some catch on, it's often comical to try to walk around behind the kid to read the number, only to have him turn around and around and continue to face you.

grunewar Sat Dec 19, 2009 06:21pm

I hate that too

Quote:

But there's something uneasy about telling little boys and girls "turn around" so I can get their number.

Did it all summer during Rec League. ARGH!

My son's current team has dark purple jerseys with black numbers.....no way to see the numbers unless you're within a few feet of the player. Brilliant choice by the league!

BillyMac Sat Dec 19, 2009 06:24pm

You'd End Up On A List, And Not Santa's List ...

Quote:

But there's something uneasy about telling little boys and girls "turn around" so I can get their number.

Better than saying, "Turn around so that I can get a better look at you".

fullor30 Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 644201)
Eighth grade girls rec game this morning. One of the players was wearing long shorts with "NIKE" lettering arched across the back. The girls on her team, and her coach, called her "Nike Pants" the whole game. It was weird to hear the coach say to a girl, "Go in for Nike Pants".

During a free throw lineup, I asked one of her teammates, "So, you all call her Nike Pants?" She replied, "Yeah, except at practice. Then we call her Nike Butt. But the coach told us not to call her that at games because of all the parents." :D

Nice butt...

Just don't do it.

representing Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 644229)
True, and while some catch on, it's often comical to try to walk around behind the kid to read the number, only to have him turn around and around and continue to face you.

Been there quite a few times haha.