The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

situation last night we may have gotten wrong

I'm the Lead, my partner's the Trail. Layup, shooter gets fouled. I'm looking at the players involved while hoping my partner would catch whether the ball went in or not. The two players (the player the committed the foul and the player who got fouled while shooting) are getting at it that I quickly run in to settle it. After waiting for things to calm down, I pass my partner on my way to the table and ask "did that go in?" He said "I don't know", but I only heard "know", interpreting that as "no, it did not go in". I go over to the table, reported the foul and said "two shots".

My partner, before giving the ball to the shooter, says "we're shooting two shots". So far, so good. First shot goes up and hits the rim. A teammate of the shooter jumps up while everyone else stayed still, rebounds it and I quickly blow my whistle before he put it up and his shot went in. Then the coach of the fouled player says "that basket went in!!!!!". I got together with my partner, and he told me "I said that I didn't know" and that's where I realized I messed up a bit. We went to the table to ask if the ball went in and all three table crew said that it did go in during the foul.

After talking about it, we decided that since white obtained possession after the first shot was taken and before shooting it back up, we gave it to white underneath the basket. Oh, forgot to say that we counted two points from the foul because that is a correctable error and it was before the second dead ball became live.

Varsity officials are there watching, and after our game and before their game, they met us in the officials' room to say that we should have gone with the AP arrow because only one player went in the lanes while everyone else thought there would be two shots. That made sense to me. However, I couldn't find this in the rulebook myself and wasn't sure if we did the right thing or not.

What are your thoughts?
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 03:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Check out 8.6.1.

When one team is clearly put at a disadvantage, stop play and to to AP.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Check out 8.6.1.

When one team is clearly put at a disadvantage, stop play and to to AP.
ok, thanks. That does make sense to me now. we messed up but the game was a blow out game already at that point. I'm sure the coaches didn't know whether it should go to the arrow as well.

JV game took almost 2 hours to complete, because the players were playing like 10 year olds, reaching all the time. I had a biddy game today that was more enjoyable to officiate than that game last night.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

In addition the citation from jar, I'd just add that the best learning point from this situation is what you should have done. You obviously thought the basket may have been scored, your partner said he didn't see it. That's the time to head to the table and get the call right, not after administering the first throw.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 03:48pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
In addition the citation from jar, I'd just add that the best learning point from this situation is what you should have done. You obviously thought the basket may have been scored, your partner said he didn't see it. That's the time to head to the table and get the call right, not after administering the first throw.
This part is forgiveable, I think. One official asked a question and received an answer from the other. It just so happens that he misunderstood the answer. This is one time, however, when I do welcome input from the table.

BUZZ! "The shot went in. What do mean two, you idiot??"

Where's chseagle when you need him.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 04:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

100% Sure Thing ...

Quote:
Where's chseagle when you need him?
I guarantee that he would never let this happen if he were part of the table crew in this game. I don't know if he would call the reporting official an idiot, but it wouldn't be too long until the horn sounded.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This part is forgiveable, I think. One official asked a question and received an answer from the other. It just so happens that he misunderstood the answer. This is one time, however, when I do welcome input from the table.

BUZZ! "The shot went in. What do mean two, you idiot??"

Where's chseagle when you need him.
Good call - I didn't read clearly enough to see that he though "I don't know" was "no." Definitely forgiveable.

And I agree - an experienced table there probably sees this and hits the horn and asks the question to make sure. Would be a much better outcome.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Good call - I didn't read clearly enough to see that he though "I don't know" was "no." Definitely forgiveable.

And I agree - an experienced table there probably sees this and hits the horn and asks the question to make sure. Would be a much better outcome.
I am hearing-impaired, wearing two hearing-aids. So in a loud gym after the fans got a little crazy with the possible fight about to break out, I only heard "know" which I heard as "no". So yeah, definitely forgivable!

Thanks for all the comments. There were 5 people that screwed up, me, my partner and the three at the table not realizing I said 2 shots instead of 1.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I am hearing-impaired, wearing two hearing-aids.
Just wondering? Do you pregame this with your partners? In a loud gym, some other arrangement might need to be in place.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 06:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe Deaf, But Certainly Not Dumb, Or Blind ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I am hearing-impaired, wearing two hearing-aids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Just wondering? Do you pregame this with your partners?
I enjoy often working with a partner who is deaf. He uses sign language. I don't know sign language. I always use a pad and pen to facilitate communication between us for our pregame, halftime pow wow, and post game discussion. Once we're out on the court, it's all about proper mechanics, good signals, and lots of eye contact. Working with him always makes me a better official. Of course, during our captains/coaches/officials pregame meeting, I always tell the coaches that if they intend to do any yelling at the officials, to please yell at my partner rather than me. My partner always follows up my statement with a nod, a smile, and an OK sign.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I enjoy often working with a partner who is deaf. He uses sign language. I don't know sign language. I always use a pad and pen to facilitate communication between us for our pregame, halftime pow wow, and post game discussion. Once we're out on the court, it's all about proper mechanics, good signals, and lots of eye contact. Working with him always makes me a better official. Of course, during our captains/coaches/officials pregame meeting, I always tell the coaches that if they intend to do any yelling at the officials, to please yell at my partner rather than me. My partner always follows up my statement with a nod, a smile, and an OK sign.
Haha I always tell my partner that I don't mind coaches yelling at me because I can't hear them half the time. However if they say something way out of place and my partner thinks I may have missed it, I tell him/her to feel free to give out a T on my behalf.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Just wondering? Do you pregame this with your partners? In a loud gym, some other arrangement might need to be in place.
Most of the officials in my chapter knows this already from working with me before or just being friends with me at chapter meetings, but I do usually just give a reminder "hey, don't forget I'm hearing-impaired".

My partner did realize he may have not said it clear and loud enough for me because of my hearing-impairment when we were having our post-game discussion.