The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

One Technical or Two

Team A failed to supply the starters to the home scorekeeper by the 10:00 mark. The team had gone into the locker room at the 12:00 mark, therefore, there was no way to communicate with Team A.

In fact, the information provided to the home scorekeeper was actually the freshmen team instead of the JV team (the game in question was the JV game). Therefore, several players had to be added to the scorebook well after the 10:00 mark.

The question is, how many technical fouls should be assessed? Per the Rules Book:
Rule 3....
SECTION 2 ROSTERS, STARTERS, NUMBERS
ART. 1 . . . At least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time, each team
shall supply the official scorer with the name and number of each team member and designate the five starting players. Failure to comply results in a technical foul
(see 10-1-1 Penalty).
ART. 2 . . . After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1, a team is
charged with a maximum of one technical foul regardless of how many
infractions of the following are committed (see 10-1-2 Penalty):

a. Changing a designated starter, unless necessitated by illness, injury, illegal
equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw.
b. Adding a name to the team member list.
c. Requiring the scorer to change a team member' or player' number in the
scorebook.
d. Requiring a player to change to the number in the scorebook.
e. Having identical numbers on team members and/or players.

Per Case 3.2.A team A would be assessed one technical foul for 3-3-1 and for 3-3-2 (rule indicates a maximum of one technical foul for failing to comply with 3-3-2 regardless how many violations occur).

This brought about another question. If a team completely fails to supply any information to the home scorekeeper, would the team automatically be assessed two technical fouls? One for 3-3-1 and one for 3-3-2 since they will have to ADD every name to the book as prescribed in 3-3-2.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Failure to supply either the roster or designate the five starters prior to the 10 minute mark results in ONE team technical foul at the 10 minute mark.

The team is not penalized for adding all of the names to the scorebook when it does submit the roster late. That offense has already been punished. However, if the team does submit an incomplete roster at say 7 minutes before tip-off and then must add another name thereafter, then that would result in a second team technical foul and the only one which could be charged to that team for administrative infractions for the remainder of that game.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

One T. It seems clear to me based on the rule book and case plays that the intent is one TO for all the lineup stuff....

One Admin T... I had a game where the team added player after the start of the game (the assistant who was responsible messed up big time) We issued the admin T for adding one name. when it was discovered that another player had to be added three minutes later we added the name and moved on.

In a JV game I am going to figure out how not to call the T...
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

THIS IS DIRECTED TO CMH:
Your situation would have been properly penalized by charging ONE team technical foul.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 01:26am.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Thats all we had
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
One T. It seems clear to me based on the rule book and case plays that the intent is one TO for all the lineup stuff....

One Admin T... I had a game where the team added player after the start of the game (the assistant who was responsible messed up big time) We issued the admin T for adding one name. when it was discovered that another player had to be added three minutes later we added the name and moved on.

In a JV game I am going to figure out how not to call the T...
Kelvin,
I believe that it is the INTENT of the Rules to ONLY penalize ONE technical foul for all administrative line-up errors. At the same time, the Rules Book clearly indicates that ONLY ONE technical foul is to be assessed regardless how many 3-3-2 errors are made. In your case, ONLY ONE technical would be called for since they were BOTH associated with 3-3-2. In the OP -- a friend was the R -- BOTH 3-3-1 AND 3-3-2 were violated. Therefore, it would seem as though TWO TECHNICALS should be assessed in the first situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
THIS IS DIRECTED TO CMH:
Your situation would have been properly penalized by charging ONE team technical foul.
Nevada,
Are you saying only ONE TECHNICAL in BOTH violations in the case of the OP (team violates the 10 minute rule by not supplying starters AND is forced to add numerous JV players after the fact) since they, in essence, corrected BOTH items at the same time? Effectively saying that the team failed to provide the list of players with numbers and starters at the 10 minute mark.

To complicate matters a bit, after the coach added the six additional players and noted the starters at the five minute mark, my friend noticed TWO PLAYERS with the SAME NUMBER! Therefore, the coach made yet another change between the 10 minute mark and game start.

Is it reasonable to punish with a SINGLE technical for failing to provide the starters at the 10 minute mark (and complete list of players), and consider the subsequent changes in violation of 3-3-2 to be punished as part of violating 3-3-1 or do BOTH have to be punished separately?
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post

Nevada,
Are you saying only ONE TECHNICAL in BOTH violations in the case of the OP (team violates the 10 minute rule by not supplying starters AND is forced to add numerous JV players after the fact) since they, in essence, corrected BOTH items at the same time? Effectively saying that the team failed to provide the list of players with numbers and starters at the 10 minute mark.

To complicate matters a bit, after the coach added the six additional players and noted the starters at the five minute mark, my friend noticed TWO PLAYERS with the SAME NUMBER! Therefore, the coach made yet another change between the 10 minute mark and game start.

Is it reasonable to punish with a SINGLE technical for failing to provide the starters at the 10 minute mark (and complete list of players), and consider the subsequent changes in violation of 3-3-2 to be punished as part of violating 3-3-1 or do BOTH have to be punished separately?
There can only be TWO technicals for scoring issues.
At the ten minute mark the team receives ONE technical if it has failed to either supply the team roster to the scorer or to designate the five starters. Failure to do either of those two things at that time results in ONE T.
Anytime following that if the team needs to change a number or add a player or have a kid change to jersey to match the book, then that would result in another team technical foul and would be the second and final one which could be received for such in this game.

Please note that submitting the roster late, some time after the 10-minute mark, does not constitute adding an additional name to the team member list. That is not what that rules say. If there aren't any names in the book because the list was never submitted, then taking care of this late is only one T, not two at the same time because how can you add a name to something which has yet to be submitted?

Now in your specific situation, after the roster was submitted late another problem was noticed, the duplicate number. That would warrant a second T if the team member played. I didn't answer for that because you didn't state that problem earlier.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post

3.2A

(now, where is that thread on reading the case book)
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
3.2A

(now, where is that thread on reading the case book)
And Bob, if you look at my original post, I cited 3.2A justifying two technicals. I was attempting to ascertain how Nevada would only charge one technical or if I was misunderstanding his post.