The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question 3rd & 4th grade

I am trying to get a few thoughts on how other handle this situation:

I was filling in doing a 3rd & 4th CYO game. I didn’t call too many violations because I figured that this was more fun and learning, than call every walking or double dribble. The coaches didn’t seem to mind as long as it was both ways. Of course parents in the stands had there opinions. Well, in between games a parent said,”I did a nice job but how will the kids learn if calls are not made to correct mistakes.”

Any thoughts?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

The best reply to the parent is: "Thanks for your kind words" and don't forget to smile. That works regardless of what they say.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

You won't get a clear answer. Some people advocate calling strictly by the rules regardless of skill level. Others advocate pretty much throwing them out the window. Most fall somewhere in between.

IMO, on a 3rd/4th grade level, the most important thing is for the kids to have fun playing while also learning about the game. Call the game in a way that allows that. If the kids finish the game with smiles on their faces and having become better basketball players, congratulations.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 02:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You'll get all versions from folks even in here; as well as "I don't work that level." Personally, at that level, I look more for the advantage/disadvantage with traveling. Others in here (Padgett) advocate calling it all by the book.

I think if you want to be "correct," you should talk to the folks who run that league and ask how they want it called.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

It also depends on the purpose of the league. If it's a "just for fun" league, then most people won't care if you let the travels go. But if it's an AAU competitive league, then you probably need to call it more by the book. There are actually AAU teams at that age group that can flat out play.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It also depends on the purpose of the league. If it's a "just for fun" league, then most people won't care if you let the travels go. But if it's an AAU competitive league, then you probably need to call it more by the book. There are actually AAU teams at that age group that can flat out play.
They've probably heard from a college coach or two already as well
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

i don't listen to parents at games.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
i don't listen to parents at games.
In rec league games, as 3rd and 4th grade games are, it's virtually impossible to avoid the parents. Like it or not, there usually are no mechanisms in place to keep the parents away from you in many rec league environments.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 03:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You'll get all versions from folks even in here; as well as "I don't work that level." Personally, at that level, I look more for the advantage/disadvantage with traveling. Others in here (Padgett) advocate calling it all by the book.
Just to explain, our local kids rec league has the policy of calling the game by rule even at 3rd and 4th grade, then explaining to the kid why the violation was called. The theory is this way they learn the proper way to play and they learn there is a consequence to violations and fouls. This has been the policy for over 30 years and it seems to work well.

Of course, because of that policy, those grade levels play running clock games.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 12:34am
#thereferee99

Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
IMO, on a 3rd/4th grade level, the most important thing is for the kids to have fun playing while also learning about the game. Call the game in a way that allows that. If the kids finish the game with smiles on their faces and having become better basketball players, congratulations.
I agree 100%. Well put. Succinct and to the point.