The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

3 second rule

When does the three second count reset? Does it reset on the shot? We had a kid get knocked down in the lane and there were a bunch of offensive rebounds during the possession and we were called for 3 seconds. I asked if the three second resets on shot attempts and was told it did not. He told me that it doesnt reset for someone laying in the middle of the lane. I had a conversation with a referree about it and was just wondering what the call is. Thanks in advance for your time.

Also, someone tried to tell me once that it could reset on the referee's discretion on shot fakes. Is that true?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Shot fakes: no.
Every actual shot: yes.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampuppy View Post
When does the three second count reset? Does it reset on the shot? We had a kid get knocked down in the lane and there were a bunch of offensive rebounds during the possession and we were called for 3 seconds. I asked if the three second resets on shot attempts and was told it did not. He told me that it doesnt reset for someone laying in the middle of the lane. I had a conversation with a referree about it and was just wondering what the call is. Thanks in advance for your time.

Also, someone tried to tell me once that it could reset on the referee's discretion on shot fakes. Is that true?
Three seconds requires team control in the Front Court. There is no Team Control during a shot so the count would end every time Team Control is lost. A new count would start when Team control was established again in the Front Court (offensive rebound).

If a player dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal, the count is suspended. If the player ceases to try for goal, the count is picked up where it was suspended.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

You have to have team control in order for there to be a three second call. Team control doesn't exist on a try or tap or during the rebounding. Fans and coaches tend to get excited when there is no three second call with all those players in the lane trying to grab a rebound. There is also some discretion on a three second call when a player gets the ball in the lane and may make a move towards the basket. If it's the opinion of the official that the player may make a move towards the basket, the three second count can be suspended. It's one of those judgement things we run into from time to time. If the player winds up passing the ball, then you have a three second call assuming three seconds have passed. It happens quickly, but most officials don't pull the trigger on a three second call as fast as fans and coaches want sometimes. Must be a reason for that.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

The three second count begins when there is team control in the front court. The count resets each time there's a shot. It does not reset on shot fakes. If what you say is true, your officials were misinformed on the rule.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me as if they called a bogus 3-second violation in order to prevent anyone getting hurt -- either the player on the floor or someone falling over him.

If that's what happened, I don't regard it as good preventive officiating.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Still a bit confused about the shot fake or move towards the basket. Is that in the referee's discretion or is in the rule book?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampuppy View Post
Still a bit confused about the shot fake or move towards the basket. Is that in the referee's discretion or is in the rule book?
The rule book says nothing about a shot fake. It does say (paraphrasing) that the three-second count is to be suspended when a player makes a move to immediately attempt to score.

For example, if a post player gets the ball in the lane and begins a move to the basket, most officials will suspend the count. If the post player doesn't complete his move with an immediate shot attempt, though, the violation should be called if he (or another player) had been in the lane more than three seconds.

You'll here debate as to whether a shot fake can be considered within the 'immediate attempt to score' language. So the answer isn't real clear. What is clear, however, is that a shot fake does NOT reset the count. Only losing team control or leaving the lane resets the count.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, I would also not rush to call 3 seconds on a player that is on the floor and struggling to get up or out of the lane, as long as their safety is not at risk. (No real advantage being gained). If the player is in a position where their safety is at risk, stop play once someone controls the ball so the player can be looked after and restart play at the point of interuption.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 07:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Looks Like A Job For The Mythbusters ...

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. There is a three-second count during an interrupted dribble. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to AirSocata
I hope this thread is still active, I have a question I hope can be answered on this subject of 3 second violation.

I understand that the 3 second call is "suspended" during a shot attempt, that is the words used every time this is brought up, "suspended" That means it potentially could be restarted where that count left off by definition of suspended.

It has always been my understanding, from other sources, that it is suspended on a shot and when that shot touches the rim, the count is reset. That said, what about when a shot goes up but misses the rim, air ball if you will. That ball then comes down into the offensive players hand that is in the paint, and I had nearly reached the 3 second count at the time of the shot? If I read the rules as saying "suspended" when do I continue the count from being suspended and when do I reset it? Could I potentially now call that offensive rebound-er with a 3 second if they do not immediately put up another shot or leave the paint?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSocata View Post
I hope this thread is still active, I have a question I hope can be answered on this subject of 3 second violation.

I understand that the 3 second call is "suspended" during a shot attempt, that is the words used every time this is brought up, "suspended" That means it potentially could be restarted where that count left off by definition of suspended.

It has always been my understanding, from other sources, that it is suspended on a shot and when that shot touches the rim, the count is reset. That said, what about when a shot goes up but misses the rim, air ball if you will. That ball then comes down into the offensive players hand that is in the paint, and I had nearly reached the 3 second count at the time of the shot? If I read the rules as saying "suspended" when do I continue the count from being suspended and when do I reset it? Could I potentially now call that offensive rebound-er with a 3 second if they do not immediately put up another shot or leave the paint?
Whether or not the shot hits the rim has no bearing on when the count resets and whoever your sources are that told you this misinformed you.

Criteria for a 3 second count:
1. Team control
2. Ball must have a frontcourt status

If you judge a throw to be a try, by rule there is no team control, and therefore no three second count. If what you said was true, situations where a team rebounds and continually puts the ball back up without hitting the rim, would be a three second violation (which it is not).

Last edited by APG; Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 03:35pm.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSocata View Post
This is incorrect. The 3-second count is suspended on a drive to the basket, and resumed if the drive is not followed with a try (shot). If a player in the paint takes a pass, I'll count 1-2 and stop when he turns and drives to the hoop. If he stops, he has 1 more second to pass or shoot. Your rule reference is 9-7-3.

Once the ball is released on a try, the 3-second count is reset. That is, reset to zero. It does not matter what happens to the try: air balls, made baskets, and anything in between are treated the same.

It's officials' judgment whether a thrown ball is a try.

Last edited by mbyron; Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 07:31am.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to AirSocata
Ok, so basically this is a partial misuse of the term "suspended". That has been what has been confusing me because suspended means it can be resumed. I understand now that if a player drives to the lane it is suspended but if that player never actually puts a shot up then the count can resume. But once a player puts a shot up, actually in the air, and I deem it a shot the 3 second count is reset. The rim has nothing to do with this call at all.

Thank you for the clarity.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I reset the count everytime I hear a coach counting aloud "1...2...3..."
Closed Thread