The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 01:31am

Backpedaling

Why is it against good mechanics to backpedal while on a basketball court? Sometimes when I'm at trail I will begin to go to the other end with a back pedal and then turn and run after a few steps. I'm talking about a play when the defense gets the ball and is coming back up my sideline. I've just thought that if I stayed in a back pedal I'd have a better view for a longer period of time. Turning to run and looking back over your shoulder at times just doesn't seem to give you a view that allows you to process what's taking place as well. I wouldn't say it should be the only way to get back down court but I'm not understanding why it's so badly thought of. I guess the objection is the idea of falling over. But it's not a problem in football. Thanks.

Last edited by sj; Sun Dec 13, 2009 at 01:35am.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

You're right. It's much easier to fall over while backpedaling than running forwards.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

In addition, I don't know anyone who is as fast running backwards as they are forwards. The longer you run backwards, the more you'll get beat. If there is a play that you need to still cover in the backcourt, don't take off. If you need to get down the floor, turn, run, and look back.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Why is it against good mechanics to backpedal while on a basketball court? Sometimes when I'm at trail I will begin to go to the other end with a back pedal and then turn and run after a few steps. I'm talking about a play when the defense gets the ball and is coming back up my sideline. I've just thought that if I stayed in a back pedal I'd have a better view for a longer period of time. Turning to run and looking back over your shoulder at times just doesn't seem to give you a view that allows you to process what's taking place as well. I wouldn't say it should be the only way to get back down court but I'm not understanding why it's so badly thought of. I guess the objection is the idea of falling over. But it's not a problem in football. Thanks.
Some reffs have been seriously injured and in my opinion you look like a complete fool doing this on a basketball court. A direct sign of a beginning basketball reff, one should try to look as professional as possible. You will fall eventually backpedalling and if you don't injure yourself in the process, at a minimum you will look like a complete a$$.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

What's worse than looking dumb when you fall down is the seriousness of the injury you might sustain. Not just a sore bum: you can rip an achilles tendon and be out for a long and exceedingly painful while.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 11:26am
#thereferee99

Just worked a game...

... with a D1 football official. His position: back judge. Says to me he is a backpeddler and always will be. Says he knows how to run backwards and he is not going to fall down. In our game he avoided incident... and I suspect he knows how to manage himself on the court.

... with a high schooler (doing CYO games). This kid had a mop of blond hair, and had an exaggerated backpeddling gait. I suggested to him to turn around and run.... if only so I didn't get distracted by his bouncing hair!
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I agree with all of the above, and unless you are an NFL corner, why would you think that it would be better to do so than just "turn and run"?
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 05:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I went to a camp with a guy who did this. They filmed the game. He took a big tumble while running backwards. And there are two guys who now have this on tape. And if one guy could figure out how to get it to youtube.....
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 05:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
... with a D1 football official. His position: back judge. Says to me he is a backpeddler and always will be. Says he knows how to run backwards and he is not going to fall down. In our game he avoided incident... and I suspect he knows how to manage himself on the court.
That is a very flawed logic. For one in football they have a 25 yard start on the ball. And in football when you fall down, you fall down on a relatively soft surface. Also as a BJ, he is in the middle of the field and no one is supposed to be in his way. If you fall in basketball, the only thing you are going to hit is a very hard surface. Not a lot of give on a wood or sometimes harder surface.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you fall in basketball, the only thing you are going to hit is a very hard surface.
Or a cheerleader. Hopefully not one of those skinny cheerleaders, but a soft and squishy one.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 06:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

BJV game last night, transition and my partner ended up running into a GV player as the whole team was crossing the court. She was a few feet on the court when he hit her. If he'd been backpedaling, it would have been disasterous.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
BJV game last night, transition and my partner ended up running into a GV player as the whole team was crossing the court. She was a few feet on the court when he hit her. If he'd been backpedaling, it would have been disasterous.
What on earth were they doing there?
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 09:26pm
In Time Out

one of the very first things I was told when training to be a ref was not to backpedal. A ref told me he had a huge fall doing it and it was a big crowd.
Of course, I do it but only briefly and when I got space. ex- I'm lead and then other team gets it and I'm trail and ball is stolen, a few backpedals and I'm lead again. no biggie. but that's about it.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 09:30pm

Thanks. All good thoughts. What about shuffling sideways at times? Your body is square to the court and you don't have to turn your head all the way around.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Thanks. All good thoughts. What about shuffling sideways at times? Your body is square to the court and you don't have to turn your head all the way around.
I'll take a few shuffles if it's a slow transition and I'm watching it develop. Or after a rebound as I'm watching players clear out.

But in a quick transition, I'm turning and running to do my best to beat the play down the court.