The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Way Back when

I remember back to my second year the opening weekend was crazy and we didn't have enough officials. On Friday I had 2 JV games. They Saturday I had a JV game at noon, another at 3:00 and then another at 6:00. All were at different places. At the last one, my partner didn't show. I did the whole game alone. I go into the locker room, exhausted and the varsity official says your partner that didn't show was suppose to ref the varsity too. You have to. So I did the varsity as well. Went home and sat in the hottub! Oh and that was my first varsity game too.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Starting tonight, I've got 8 games in the next 6 days. What's the most you've ever done in a week?
Outside of a camp or summer league setting where I've had 4-8 games a day, the most I've had in a week is 10.

Was going to have 10 this week, but two games today got cancelled after schools were closed because of, um, heavy rain? Wind? I'm still not sure. This is South Carolina, and funny things happen. I did wake up to tornado sirens this morning at 4:00 a.m., but never would have guessed school would be cancelled...
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
A First For Me......and I hope a last

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Was going to have 10 this week, but two games today got cancelled after schools were closed because of, um, heavy rain? Wind? I'm still not sure. This is South Carolina, and funny things happen. I did wake up to tornado sirens this morning at 4:00 a.m., but never would have guessed school would be cancelled...
While it rained hard here yesterday too, my HS V game was not cancelled, just slightly delayed, because the Visiting Team school was on "lockdown" as it was across the street from the below incident....

Student tries to shoot math teacher at Va. college

A disgruntled 20-year-old student walked into a classroom at the Northern Virginia Community College campus in Woodbridge on Tuesday afternoon and fired at least two shots from a high-powered rifle at his math teacher, authorities said.

washingtonpost.com

Sad.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Was going to have 10 this week, but two games today got cancelled after schools were closed because of, um, heavy rain? Wind? I'm still not sure.
Our local kids rec league is supposed to start this weekend. The weather dudes are predicting light snow flurries mixed with freezing rain for Saturday. Here in Portland, that means the entire town shuts down and hibernates, so our Saturday games might be canceled.

Gee, back in Chicago where I grew up that would be considered just another day.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:16pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
In DC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Our local kids rec league is supposed to start this weekend. The weather dudes are predicting light snow flurries mixed with freezing rain for Saturday. Here in Portland, that means the entire town shuts down and hibernates, so our Saturday games might be canceled.

We'd all be stocking up on milk, bread, and toilet paper....I mean gosh, who knows how long we'll be home bound?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

16 this week

Sun - 1 youth travel league, then 2 CYO
Mon - bowling night!
Tue - 8th grade scrimmage, 7th grade scrimmage, 2 youth travel league
Wed - off
Thu - poker night!
Fri - 9th grade game, 8th grade game, 2 youth travel league
Sat - 2 youth travel league, 3 Men's Rec

16 with three off days is pretty impressive!

As of now, I'm only on for 7 next week.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 02:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Just got scheduled for one MS tourney this weekend, six games. Still have another tourney those days and also rec league yet to be scheduled.

My wife said to me, "You're pretty much not going to be home this weekend, are you?" I'm not quite sure why she wanted to know.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Chicagoans know how to drive in weather.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 03:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I know. Ever since I came to the Portland area (1971) I have just been stunned on how little knowledge there is here in how to deal with snow. I mean, we only get about 1/4 inch every 5 years or so, but when we do, the entire town shuts down.

In all my years in school in Chicago, I only missed one day due to weather and that was because the boiler broke at the school.

I guess here in Portland, we don't make snowmen, we make rainmen.

Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, the Rain Man was from Utah. A place where the population is divided into three roughly equal categories.

1. Those who know how to drive on snow, and even how to have a little fun with it
2. Those who bridge the knowledge gap with equipment (i.e., buy a monstrous truck or SUV, assume 4 wheel drive equates to "invincible on snow", and gun it!)
3. California natives attending college driving the new BMW daddy bought them with no clue how to drive on snow.

Those in group 1 despise those in the other groups.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Damn straight. Nearly slid off the expressway last night on my way home from a game. But I saved it. 4-wheel drive and all!
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Actually, the Rain Man was from Utah. A place where the population is divided into three roughly equal categories.

1. Those who know how to drive on snow, and even how to have a little fun with it
2. Those who bridge the knowledge gap with equipment (i.e., buy a monstrous truck or SUV, assume 4 wheel drive equates to "invincible on snow", and gun it!)
3. California natives attending college driving the new BMW daddy bought them with no clue how to drive on snow.

Those in group 1 despise those in the other groups.
Those three groups are in equal representation here, as well. #3 is broken into subcategories, though. 3a. college students. 3b. Retirees from the south and CA. 3c. Military from the south and (a few) CA.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 05:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

My wife said to me, "You're pretty much not going to be home this weekend, are you?" I'm not quite sure why she wanted to know.
Did you detect a glimmer of hope in her voice?

You guys in snow country want hilarity? Imagine 4" of snow hitting Houston like it did last Friday.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 05:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

So far, it appears my busiest week will have me topping out at 10 games spread out over four days. That will be a fun week.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 05:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I have a few Saturdays this season where I'm doing a 2:45PM or 3PM varsity game and then doing another at 7:30PM. To me, that's a full day.

My busiest scheduled week this season is 6 varsity games over 5 days (M-T-Th-F-Sx2). It's enough for me.