The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

double personal foul

Heres the situation: Lead gives ball to A1 for throw in(ball becomes live), then sees two girls push each other and blows whistle, double personal foul. I say we go to arrow, then point of interruption. Guy that blew whistle has no idea, and my partner says no arrow, point of interuption only. Heres what I find in the rule book...please help.

Rule 10 summary states that a double personal foul and double technical foul go to point of interruption...mentions nothing about the arrow.

Rule 4 section 12 art. 6 it states neither team contol nor player control exists during a dead ball, throw-in, a jump ball or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

Rule 4 section 36 art 2c (point of interruption) states an alternating-possesion throw-in when neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra perios is involved when the game is interrupted.

Are there any other rules that may clarify better? Please let me know whos correct, we have a game tomorrow night and we want to get this straight. Thanks in advance~~
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheske44 View Post
Heres the situation: Lead gives ball to A1 for throw in(ball becomes live), then sees two girls push each other and blows whistle, double personal foul. I say we go to arrow, then point of interruption. Guy that blew whistle has no idea, and my partner says no arrow, point of interuption only. Heres what I find in the rule book...please help.

Rule 10 summary states that a double personal foul and double technical foul go to point of interruption...mentions nothing about the arrow.

Rule 4 section 12 art. 6 it states neither team contol nor player control exists during a dead ball, throw-in, a jump ball or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

Rule 4 section 36 art 2c (point of interruption) states an alternating-possesion throw-in when neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra perios is involved when the game is interrupted.

Are there any other rules that may clarify better? Please let me know whos correct, we have a game tomorrow night and we want to get this straight. Thanks in advance~~
POI would be resuming with the throw-in which was interrupted according to 4-36-2b. You probably skipped over that rule.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Im not sure that explains what Im looking for...

Art 2: Play shall be resumed by one of the following methods:

b. A free throw or a throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.

It wasnt a free throw so that means its a throw in, but do we go to the arrow?~

Last edited by hugheske44; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 09:50pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Even though there is no team control during a throw-in, Team A is still in control of the ball.

We do NOT got to the arrow. The POI is the throw-in for team A. Team A keeps the ball for a new throw-in.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you...I guess in a round about way they try to make sense of it. But I wish they would do away with the fact that their is no team control during a throw in then, make it less confusing!! Thanks again~
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Team control isn't an issue. Point of interruption mean what were we doing when the ball became dead? We were in the middle of a throw-in. So we go back to that throw-in.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Im not sure that explains what Im looking for...

Art 2: Play shall be resumed by one of the following methods:

b. A free throw or a throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.

It wasnt a free throw so that means its a throw in, but do we go to the arrow?~
This rule tells you to return to either the free throw OR the throw-in which was interrupted. The AP arrow has nothing to do with it.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

So I just looked in the Rules by Topic book and under Throw-Ins (topic 6)

Alternate-possession throw ins shall be from the out-of-bounds spot nearest to where the ball was located. An alternating-possesion throw-in shall result:

Double personal, double technical or simultaneous fouls occur and the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved (6-4-3a-g;7-3).

Since during a throw in, the rule clearly states there is no team control, then why wouldnt we go to the arrow?

Is 'such that neither team is in control' and 'no team control' the same thing? I think thats where Im splitting hairs.

I am sorry to be a pain but I am a trainer with an association and I know most of the people are under the assumption we go to alternate-possesion, I need to be very clear in explaining the correct way. ~~
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

The Rules by Topic book is a new concept that the NFHS started in 2006-07.

Consequently there are still some kinks in it which need to be worked out. The first year that it was published it was riddled with errors. So I'm not a big fan of this book.

However, in your case, rather than an outright error, I believe that you are just not taking what is written in the proper context. You are reading the section under "Topic: Alternating Possession" so all of the accompanying text assumes that the situation is one for which it is proper to award an alternating possession throw-in. You need to move forward in the book to "Topic: Point of Interruption" and read what it says there. It clearly states, "When point of interruption is required, play shall be resumed by...a free throw or a throw-in when the point of interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such..."
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am sorry to be a pain but I am a trainer with an association and I know most of the people are under the assumption we go to alternate-possesion, I need to be very clear in explaining the correct way. ~~
BktBallRef is exactly right, POI simply means you go back to what you were doing before you were interrupted. This is absolutely not the same concept as the inadvertent whistle rule. The rule book uses a couple of phrases I find helpful in explaining the concept of POI: "play shall be resumed from the point of interruption" or "continued from the point of interruption." In other words, you were doing something, you got interrupted, now you're going to go back to what you were doing before the interruption.

Perhaps your explanation can be made clearer by breaking down POI like this: The POI definition (NFHS 4-36-2) tells us how to resume play in three specific situations.

Situation 1: The ball is live and clearly in team control. Play is resumed by giving the ball back to the team in control for a throw-in at the spot nearest where the ball was when the interruption occurred.

Situation 2: The ball is dead and we were about to make it live in one of the three possible ways (NFHS 6-1-1): a free throw, a throw-in or a *jump ball; or the ball had just become live via one of those three methods (NFHS 6-1-2), but the activity was interrupted before it ended (NFHS 4-20-3, 4-42-5, 4-28-3 respectively); or something just happened during play and by rule the next activity is a free throw or throw-in (e.g., foul, violation, made basket). Play is resumed by returning to that activity (free throw, throw-in or jump ball).

Situation 3: The Last Resort. The only-when-all-else-fails case. We are not in either Situation 1 or 2. There is no goal, infraction nor end of quarter/extra period is involved (other rules tell us how to resume play from those situations). Normally this happens when the ball is live, play is going on, but no team is in control. Play is resumed by an alternating-possession throw-in.

*I added the jump ball to this situation both to make it tie more naturally to NFHS 6-1-1, and also because it has obviously and clearly been accidentally omitted from 4-36-2. If the game is interrupted before or during a jump ball and the specified way to resume play is to return to the point of interruption, you have to return to the jump ball. There is no team control and therefore you cannot have a regular throw-in. The AP arrow has not been established and you cannot have an AP throw-in. You either jump it up, or you turn off the lights and go home. Unless you are BillyMac, in which case you flip a coin

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 03:13am.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
POI simply means you go back to what you were doing before you were interrupted. This is absolutely not the same concept as the inadvertent whistle rule.
Ummm... isn't POI used following an accidental whistle?
So isn't the procedure exactly the same?
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Ummm... isn't POI used following an accidental whistle?
So isn't the procedure exactly the same?
The problem here is that too many officials get one aspect of the pre-POI inadvertent whistle rule (as I remember it) mixed up with POI. So when it's a throw-in that gets interrupted, they immediately respond with "no team control, go to the arrow." At least that's the only reason I can come up with why folks blow right past 4-36-2b in their zeal to get right to the darned arrow.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

We see this every season: "Is it POI or AP?" The question betrays a misunderstanding of POI that BITS and others have been trying to correct.

POI is a complex procedure for getting the ball back in play, and it includes as one of its possible procedures the AP arrow. In some cases, POI will invoke the AP arrow, in others it won't; the rule specifies which are which (not a judgment call).

Kudos to the OP for going to the rule book with this question, even though the approach is backwards. We don't want to look up all the times the AP is used and try to fit one to the situation given.

Instead, the order you want is: double foul -> POI -> definition of POI -> applicable provision. Since a throw-in was in progress when the DF was called, resume with the throw-in. Easy as pie.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 07:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Someday, Over The Rainbow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Unless you are BillyMac, in which case you flip a coin.
By rule, I'm not allowed to do this at this point in time, but, someday ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I just looked in the Rules by Topic book and under Throw-Ins (topic 6)

Alternate-possession throw ins shall be from the out-of-bounds spot nearest to where the ball was located. An alternating-possesion throw-in shall result:

Double personal, double technical or simultaneous fouls occur and the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved (6-4-3a-g;7-3).

One of those last three items had to be involved, or there wouldn't be a throw-in. Since one of those items was involved, the condition isn't met and the resulting action (AP throw in) isn't followed.

Just go to the POI rule, and follow the methods in order:

a) If there was team control, give it back to the team in control.

b) If there was no team control, but it was during a FT or throw-in, or during a try which results in a throw-in, go back to the FT or throw-in.

c) If neither a nor b, then go to the arrow.