The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Names

I was just reading over the posts of pre-game introductions and wondered if any of you try to remember player's names? If so how do you go about it? Look at a roster prior to the game? Listen to the PA announcer when he/she introduces the starting line-up? Or just the captains' names when you meet them?
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have enough names to remember in my life, including my partners (which change every game). I don't even bother. Since I'm going to be in this city for some time now, I'm sure I'll start seeing repeat players and picking up on things; but I'm not going to make an effort to do so.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:39pm
M.A.S.H.

I have a hard enough time remembering my partners names if I haven't worked with them...not to mention the coaches. I don't even try to remember the player's names.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you need to remember the players names?
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

I tried to remember the captains names. If I had problems with a player I would get the captain, "Jason, tell #22 to cool it before he gets your team in trouble." To me, it could be good preventative officiating. Also, I found that it surprised the mud out of the player when he heard the ref calling him by his name and not his number.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Why would you need to remember the players names?
The times I have done it I really liked it. They seem to respond to me better. I can say "hey Fred can you help with the ball please" or "Bertha can you help me out with 34 he is pushing the limit" or "Paco they need you in the game, don't blow it now"

I'm sure you're just going to say that you can do all that without knowing their names, but I'm hopeful that there are some guys out there that have tried it and have also found positive responses.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I was just reading over the posts of pre-game introductions and wondered if any of you try to remember player's names? If so how do you go about it?
I remember as many of their names at intros as they probably do officials - ZERO. Just a formality.

That being said, when I do Rec Ball I do know many players and coaches names, as they do me, and address them by name.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe. As someone who takes great pride in being able to simply remember the number of the player I called a foul on from the point of the foul till I report it, I am never going to even attempt to remember any player's name. I have a terrible memory in general. If it works for you, then great.

I could see a potential problem if you tend to remember one team's names more than the other and then tend to call Team A's players by name and have to refer to Team B's players by number. They might feel slighted, or that you're favoring one team over another. Small point, but if I always treat both teams the same (referring to a player by number), then no one can say I'm favoring anyone over anyone else.

Unless someone slips me some money. Kidding.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I don't even care if the players have names, as long as they all have numbers. Besides, when they grow up, they'll just be a number anyway. They might as well get used to it.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I could see a potential problem if you tend to remember one team's names more than the other and then tend to call Team A's players by name and have to refer to Team B's players by number. They might feel slighted, or that you're favoring one team over another. Small point, but if I always treat both teams the same (referring to a player by number), then no one can say I'm favoring anyone over anyone else.
Agreed.....I usually will get two down from each team, but that doesn't mean I know all of the players and I have worried about a coach hearing me call the other team's player by name and being upset or feeling slighted.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Agreed.....I usually will get two down from each team, but that doesn't mean I know all of the players and I have worried about a coach hearing me call the other team's player by name and being upset or feeling slighted.
Seriously, just refer to them by their numbers. It's easier and it's what's expected.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 02:04pm
9 times

I try to remember the "speaking" captain's name for every game. I get much better response by using their name rather than their number. It works for me, but I have no problem with other officials not doing it. I only have to deal with the player myself and not as my partner.

If it doesn't work for you/fit in with your philosophy, don't do it.

BTW, last night's captains were Cole (home) and Garrett (visitor).

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I think what you're attempting to do could have a really positive up side. I'd encourage you to run with it and see where it takes you. Unfortunately I don't have any good memory aid ideas for you.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
I try to remember the "speaking" captain's name for every game. I get much better response by using their name rather than their number. It works for me, but I have no problem with other officials not doing it. I only have to deal with the player myself and not as my partner.

If it doesn't work for you/fit in with your philosophy, don't do it.

BTW, last night's captains were Cole (home) and Garrett (visitor).
I'll bet you've got one of those brains that's just hardwired to work like a salesman's brain.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I read an article in "Officials Quarterly" a while back. I don't remember the mans name, but it was written by a long time baseball umpire that works the HS level quite a bit. The article addressed this very thing and as BITS says, it has led to some positive things. The umpire related that coaches, players, officials, and others all respond differently when they know you care enough to remember their name.

I was working a tournament last night and had a few minutes between games. As I was waiting, a team entered the gym that had been to the tournament in prior years and as the coach entered, I said hello and addressed him by his first name. A while later, he came to me and told me thanks for remembering him and I can only assume that good things will come from that if I do one of his games. (like when I blow a call, he won't be quite so upset)