The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Question Players directed to leave and timeouts during the 20 sec period

These are two other questions presented by Rulebox, I am not 100% on the wording but I am sure I have the intent of the questions right:

Scenerio 1: Player A-1 is bleeding and directed to leave the floor. At the end of the time out A-1 is ready to play. He is allowed to play.

Scenerio 2: Player A-1 is bleeding and directed to leave the game. Prior to A-1 being replace, Team A requests a time out and is denied.

I understand both rules... so when does the coach call the time out? Once the official directs the player to the bench a replacement needs to be made before a time out but if the player is replaced then he needs to sit for a tick before reentering...

How does this truely play out in real life? Is it that the coach has the timeout/replacement option prior to the 20 second clock starting?

Thanks again.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams View Post
How does this truely play out in real life? Is it that the coach has the timeout/replacement option prior to the 20 second clock starting?
The coach can "immediately" request a TO. If s/he doesn't, then start the 20-second clock. The bleeding player must sit out, and a sub must be ready by the end of the 20-seconds.

If s/he does, then the player must be ready to go at the end of the TO, or a sub must be "immediately" ready.

(Both "immediatelies" in quotes because you should use good judgment on the timing.)
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams View Post
These are two other questions presented by Rulebox, I am not 100% on the wording but I am sure I have the intent of the questions right:

Scenerio 1: Player A-1 is bleeding and directed to leave the floor. At the end of the time out A-1 is ready to play. He is allowed to play.

Scenerio 2: Player A-1 is bleeding and directed to leave the game. Prior to A-1 being replace, Team A requests a time out and is denied.

I understand both rules... so when does the coach call the time out? Once the official directs the player to the bench a replacement needs to be made before a time out but if the player is replaced then he needs to sit for a tick before reentering...

Thanks again.
NFHS | Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2009-10
Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2009-10

SITUATION 4: A1 is injured and bench personnel are beckoned onto the court. Once A1 has been removed from the court, the official notifies the Team A coach that a replacement is required. The official then instructs the timer to begin the 20-second replacement interval because a substitute is not made available immediately. Team A’s head coach then requests a time-out to keep A1 in the game. RULING: Incorrect procedure. The time-out request must be made when the official informs the coach that a replacement is required. Once the 20-second interval has begun and A1’s replacement is pending, a time-out shall not be granted. Once A1 is replaced by a substitute, Team A may request and be granted a time-out, if desired. (2-12-5 Note; 3-3-6; 5-8-3b)
SITUATION 5: During a dead ball, an official notices that A1 is bleeding. The official notifies the Team A coach that a replacement is required. The official then instructs the timer to begin the 20-second replacement interval because a substitute is not made available immediately. Team A’s head coach then requests a time-out to keep A1 in the game. RULING: Incorrect procedure. The time-out request must be made when the official informs the coach that a replacement is required. Once the 20-second interval has begun and A1’s replacement is pending, a time-out shall not be granted. Once A1 is replaced by a substitute, Team A may request and be granted a time-out, if desired. (2-12-5; 3-3-7; 5-8-3b)

SITUATION 6: During a dead ball, an official notices that A1 and B1 are both bleeding. The official notifies both the Team A coach and the Team B coach that a replacement is required for A1 and B1, respectively. The Team A coach requests a time-out to keep A1 in the game. Team B elects to enter a substitute for B1. The official then instructs the timer to begin the 20-second replacement interval for B1 because a substitute is not made available immediately. RULING: Correct procedure. A substitute must enter the game for B1 prior to the official granting the time-out for Team A. A1 must be ready to play by the end of the time-out. (2-12-5; 3-3-7; 5-8-3b)