The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

double foul

I guess if you live long enough you see everything. I've gone to more basketball games than I care to count. Got the bug when my daughter played, and have two D1 programs, two different conferences, here in sunny Buffalo, NY.

Last night was my first time witnessing the always fun "blarge" at men's game. Point guard bringing ball down left side...contact with defender at midcourt...simultaneous whistles...closest official has block, official on opposite side of court has charge. All three meet and come up with double foul.

I won't editorialize about the aftermath...don't need the 'fanboy' spears thrown at me! But it was kinda cool to see.

Let's see...questions? Is this double-call as rare as it seems from my experience? How often do the refs decide to instead go with just one call versus the double?

Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Going with one call is NOT an option in NCAA-Mens and NFHS. The rules require a double foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wow...I knew the rules ALLOWED for the double foul call, but didn't know they REQUIRED it. Interesting. Thanks.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier View Post
Wow...I knew the rules ALLOWED for the double foul call, but didn't know they REQUIRED it. Interesting. Thanks.
Only in the specific case of the block/charge, where 2 officials signal two different calls.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure I don't wan to ask this...but here goes...was use of video confirmation ever considered to reconcile this?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

That is not one of the allowable uses of the monitor.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all. I'm done! It's a good day when you learn something, my grandma used to say.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 12:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks all. I'm done! It's a good day when you learn something, my grandma used to say.
Then every day you should have a good day.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Oops.

I forgot to ask what the result of this rare call should be. The refs at the game went with the arrow. Apparently this was in error according to today's Buffalo News. I'm still learning the nuances of the game, so thanks again.

Buffalo News:
"Officiating sources say the referees made an error with 1:28 remaining in the UB-Canisius game and the Bulls holding a three-point lead. One official called an offensive foul on Bulls guard John Boyer, another ruled a block against Robert Goldsberry. It's unusual, but it happens. However, the ball should have reverted to UB because it had possession. Instead, the officials awarded the ball to Canisius based on the alternate possession arrow. The Griffs' Greg Logins proceeded to nail the tying three 19 seconds later, the final points until Turner drove the length of the floor for the winning basket with 1.5 seconds left.

Mid-American Conference officials worked the game, which explains a lot. The league's pay is low scale and there's no reimbursement for expenses incurred. Therefore, the MAC gets officials who can't get many games elsewhere. The officiating in the MAC has been substandard for years."

I'm not sure why this article had to include the snarky editorializing, but this is the thing in its entirety. Huh.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I forgot to ask what the result of this rare call should be. The refs at the game went with the arrow. Apparently this was in error according to today's Buffalo News. I'm still learning the nuances of the game, so thanks again.
Double foul -- go to Point of Interruption. That gives the ball back to the team in control (assuming there was one).

that's true in both FED and NCAA
Old Tue Dec 01, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, that was my guess, but only a guess. This is why I ask the experts here! Looks like this crew booted the call (well, the disposition of the call anyway) this time...oh well.

Last edited by bellnier; Tue Dec 01, 2009 at 12:23pm.