The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Resumption of Play

I was sent this situation and wondered what you all thought:

"I have a question for you all and would like your opinions. Situation: Both teams delay after a timeout and you are shooting free throws. Using the resumption of play procedure, you place the ball on the FT line and walk away, starting the 10 second count. The 10 seconds expire with both teams still in the huddle. Do you:
a. have a double violation since both teams delayed
b. have an immediate violation on the defense for not occupying the first marked lane space, thereby negating the violation on the offense and giving them another 10 seconds to break the huddle?

I guess my gut feeling is it would be a double violation and any further delay by either team would be a technical foul, but wanted to get your feelings on the matter as I don't think this situation is specifically addressed by the rules."

Thanks

-Josh
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 10:07am
#thereferee99

top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

"I have a question for you all and would like your opinions. Situation: Both teams delay after a timeout and you are shooting free throws. Using the resumption of play procedure, you place the ball on the FT line and walk away, starting the 10 second count. The 10 seconds expire with both teams still in the huddle. Do you:
b. have an immediate violation on the defense for not occupying the first marked lane space, thereby negating the violation on the offense and giving them another 10 seconds to break the huddle?

I guess my gut feeling is it would be a double violation and any further delay by either team would be a technical foul, but wanted to get your feelings on the matter as I don't think this situation is specifically addressed by the rules."

Thanks

-Josh
is that you have a violation on the thrower and a violation on an opponent of the thrower for not occupying the space. I believe this is covered by the rules.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

That would be my take too, simultaneous free throw violations. Cancel the first shot per the prescribed penalty, and move on to the second shot. Any further delay be either team is a team technical, or a double technical if both teams delay. If either team still continues to delay, then I think one official goes into the huddle (or into each huddle) and threatens to drop "f bomb" on them. The "f bomb" being "forfeit", which is the prescribed penalty for continuing to delay after the T. I can't imagine it ever going that far, but we ought to at least know what to do if it does.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 12:21pm.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Can you have a free throw with out the bottom 2 spaces being filled?
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Yes, you can. During a ROP situation when the defense hasn't come out of thier huddle. Let the offense shoot with a delayed lane violation signal. If he/she misses and the defense still doesn't line up, you T 'em.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 08:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Has This Ever Really Happened ???

Quote:
Yes, in the rare event that there is only one player left on the defensive team and that team has a chance to win the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Add the following (foir the general case of when you shoot FTs with no player in the lowest spots):
  • FT's for a Technical, Intentional, or Flagrant Foul
  • FT's for a foul that occurs with no time remaining on the clock
  • FT's for a foul that were deserved but not awarded and the error was disocvered after there had been a change of possession and before....
  • FT's for a foul that were deserved but not awarded and the error was discovered after time expired and there had been no change of possession and before...
  • FT's that are to be followed by the administration of some other penalty (e.g., FT's or a throwin for another foul)
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Why not just get them back on the floor?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

Thanks

-Josh
Double violation. Cancel the FT and move on to the next or resume the game with the AP arrow, if this was to be the final attempt.

This is clearly covered in the rules.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you own a Case Book?
Examine 9.1.2 Situation A.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Do you own a Case Book?
can't seem to find mine
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Why not just get them back on the floor?
You are right, of course. If we can get them back out on the floor, we should do that. IMHO the RPP is best used as a last resort, or to send a message if a team repeatedly delays. But, the OP was asking about the rule...
Old Thu Nov 19, 2009, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Do you own a Case Book?
Quote:
can't seem to find mine

FREE THROW DELAY FOLLOWING A TIME-OUT
9.1.2 SITUATION A: Following a time-out by Team B, A1 is given the ball for the
first of two free throws even though Team B is still huddling at the bench and the
first marked spaces on each side of the lane are not occupied. In this case, the
lead official uses the resumption-of-play procedure even though the first spaces
are not occupied, whereas in other cases, the spaces would have to be properly
occupied before the official would proceed with the free throw administration.

A1’s first attempt is successful. The lead official then bounces the ball to A1 for
the second attempt. Team B is still at the sideline. The official again gives the signal
which indicates a violation by Team B if the attempt is missed. A1 misses the
second free-throw attempt. RULING: The violation will result in A1 being given a
substitute attempt. Team B will be assessed a technical foul if they delay further
by not occupying the first marked spaces on each side of the lane before the ball
becomes live for the substitute throw. (4-38; 8-1-2; 10-1-5b)