The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Nfhs -> ncaa

Got a call yesterday, one of the local assignors asked me if I would be willing to work a local D3 scrimmage today.

Of course I am!

However...seeing as I am still actually a sub-varsity official (albeit one with several years experience) I am bit surprised to get this call. I told him earlier in the year I would be interested if he ever needed someone, but I have to admit I didn't actually think I would get a call.

Doesn't mean all that much, I imagine, beyond him not being able to find one of the regular college guys willing to work another scrimmage for free, but I am not going to complain - if nothing else, it gets me out on the floor in front of some college coaches, officials, and of course the assignor.

But I am pretty nervous. I know they will be a LOT bigger and faster than what I am used to. Rules differences. Mechanics differences - three man mechanics even!

I am probably a bit out of my depth here - any pointers to try to keep from looking like I am not prepared for this, even if in fact I am not really prepared for this?

It is just a scrimmage though...right?
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Just run the floor, watch the L for rotations, go where there's nobody on switches, and let'em play. Don't complicate it, it's just basketball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 10:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Call the obvious and be where you are supposed to be.

Don't go searching for any calls. Let 'em play basketball.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thats not uncommon and maybe the assigner sees something in you. Just be yourself, stay in your primary and referee basketball as well as what others have said. Good luck to you!
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
The key to getting to the next level isn't what you DO call but what you DON'T.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Sooooo?
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, didn't think anyone really cared for an AAR.

It went reallly well, I thought. The third official never made it, so we did the scrimmage two man. As expected, it was very fast compared to what I was used to. I was pretty nervous to start, but after a couple minutes I just told myself "This isn't any different really - they bounce the ball, the pass the ball, they shoot the ball - ok, sometimes they dunk that ball, and that is different, but still..." and after that it was a hell of a lot of fun.

In a lot of ways, the game was easier to officiate I thought - the players didn't dribble the ball of their foot, or get out of control (much), or do weird stuff, for the most part.

Going back to a JV and Varsity scrimmage was weird - the players seemed so small!

Anyway, I had a good time, the assignor said he thought I did an outstanding job, so I think I will maybe consider going to a college camp this summer, and seeing what happens.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Sorry, didn't think anyone really cared for an AAR.

It went reallly well, I thought. The third official never made it, so we did the scrimmage two man. As expected, it was very fast compared to what I was used to. I was pretty nervous to start, but after a couple minutes I just told myself "This isn't any different really - they bounce the ball, the pass the ball, they shoot the ball - ok, sometimes they dunk that ball, and that is different, but still..." and after that it was a hell of a lot of fun.

In a lot of ways, the game was easier to officiate I thought - the players didn't dribble the ball of their foot, or get out of control (much), or do weird stuff, for the most part.

Going back to a JV and Varsity scrimmage was weird - the players seemed so small!

Anyway, I had a good time, the assignor said he thought I did an outstanding job, so I think I will maybe consider going to a college camp this summer, and seeing what happens.
Good for you man, keep up the good work!
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 02:15am
Archaic Power Monger

Sounds like it went very well, congrats! Any idea if this performance might help get you a varsity schedule too?
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Sounds like it went very well, congrats! Any idea if this performance might help get you a varsity schedule too?
Given the way the local board works, probably not. Not terribly unusual around here to see people get into college ball before they break into varsity.

Can't hurt though, right?
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Given the way the local board works, probably not. Not terribly unusual around here to see people get into college ball before they break into varsity.

Can't hurt though, right?
Seems backwards to me
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 10:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Seems backwards to me
You'd be surprised.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Had a blast e-mail a few weeks ago from local assignor looking for officials (high school varsity) to do a Northwestern scrimmage. Filled immediately. Would have been sweet.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You'd be surprised.
Not really. A college assingor has no shortage of people willing to take ANY of their games. They don't have to manage a lot of officials (at least not to the same degree) and keep them all sufficiently happy.

A HS assignor may have to cover their varsity games, JV games, Soph. games, Fresh. games, and even MS games....only a small fraction of the games are varsity. If everyone is moved up to varsity quickly, they have to find that many more new people to cover all the other games. You can either have pipeline that moves people to varisty in 3-4 years, and push people back out of out of varisty after 3-4 years (and that's not going to go well) or where you have to recruit large numbers of poeple just to keep the bottom full.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Nov 28, 2009 at 04:54pm.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
We have had numerous female officials break into women's college basketball without getting a full varsity schedule, and even break into D1 in less than 4 seasons out of college!!!! You will find the games are more black and white and have to watch for less "messy" plays as the players are stronger and can handle the basketball better. Continued luck and being here for positive feedback is one step toward bettering your officiating career!