The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

PC/TC foul NCAA vs. NFHS

In the bonus, is there a difference when the offending team (team called for the "offensive" foul) it was my impression that in NCAA the 1 and 1 (or 2 shots if in the double bonus) would be shot. I thought was a major difference between NFHS and NCAA. Is that not correct?
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

No. The one and one or 2 shot bonus will not be shot for fouls that occur during player control or team control.

Where the difference comes into play between NCCA-M and NFHS is WHEN player control ends. In high school, player control fouls apply to the airborne shooter. In college, player control ends upon release of the shot.

Thus any foul after player control ends (in NCAA-m) is no longer a PC foul and the one and one or double bonus will be shot at the other end of the court.

Regards,

Jim
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 08:41pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
In the bonus, is there a difference when the offending team (team called for the "offensive" foul) it was my impression that in NCAA the 1 and 1 (or 2 shots if in the double bonus) would be shot. I thought was a major difference between NFHS and NCAA. Is that not correct?
If you're asking if the offended team is ever awarded free throws for a player control or team control ("offensive") foul, the answer is no in both NFHS and NCAA.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhhhhhhhh.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNY25 View Post
No. The one and one or 2 shot bonus will not be shot for fouls that occur during player control or team control.

Where the difference comes into play between NCCA-M and NFHS is WHEN player control ends. In high school, player control fouls apply to the airborne shooter. In college, player control ends upon release of the shot.

Thus any foul after player control ends (in NCAA-m) is no longer a PC foul and the one and one or double bonus will be shot at the other end of the court.

Regards,

Jim
Confused, in NFHS there is no team control during a shot. How is that different than NCAA?
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Also is there a difference between NCAA-M and NCAA-W? My thought is no but am I correct
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:48pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Also is there a difference between NCAA-M and NCAA-W? My thought is no but am I correct
Minor difference dealing with the airborne shooter and whether a made basket counts when a PC foul is called.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNY25 View Post

There's also a difference on throw-ins. In NCAA, a foul by Team A during a throw-in is a team control foul.

Quote:
Confused, in NFHS there is no team control during a shot. How is that different than NCAA?
Team control ends when a shot is taken in NFHS, NCAA-M and NCAA-W.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not.

But the defition of a PC FOUL is different between FED and NCAAM (NCAA W is the same as Fed).

In FED and NCAAW you can have a PC Foul, even without having PC, if the airborne shooter commits a common foul.