The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question 1st year questions

1. Why do some vets use the minimal verbal signals when administering free throws and reporting fouls, but say "Going Down" or "Staying here." on throw ins? It's very confusing for jr high especially.

2. Am I in the minority in my belief that more Delay of Game warnings and DOG technical fouls should be called for knocking the ball away after scoring a basket?

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 08:24am. Reason: clarify after reading first respones
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

1) I am a vet and I have never said, "going down." I don't even know what that means. I know what "staying here" means, but I never use that either. When a ball goes out of bounds, I raise my arm to stop the clock and then point the direction while verbalizing the color. Don't assume that every "vet" does things right or even that they are high quality officials. In fact, if they are still doing a lot of jr. high ball, there may be a reason (not that there is anything wrong with working lower levels whatsoever).

2) I would have to see specific plays to say whether or not a delay-of-game should be called. Was the game delayed due to the action? I have seen offensive teams tap the ball towards the endline after a basket when it actually assisted the other team in getting a quicker throw-in. No delay there (although I usually tell them to "leave the ball alone after a made hoop" as we're coming up the floor).
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. For throwins, point and "color" is all I do. Normally, I just point. On free throws, only give what's needed (again). No one is listening anyway, so there's no point in getting verbose.

2. zebraman nails it. I would add that if you see one you need to call, call it and don't worry about the other guys. Make sure it's delaying the game, though. If they just tap it and it doesn't delay, then I warn them once. Normally, it's just one player doing it so he/she tends to stop with the warning. If the first tap delays the throwin, by all means issue the official warning.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

1) I'm assuming "going down" means the same as "that way". Technically incorrect, but still used. Especially by "vets".

2) If possible, before I even think about a DOG warning I'm going to tell the kid to leave the ball alone first.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 07:08am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
1) I was taught to say very little when administering foul shots - bounce the ball and announce the number of shots "two." (or whatever the number). I was told not to coach - i.e, "Wait until it hits" or "watch your feet," etc. As for reporting, I was taught to report - color, number and infraction and use proper hand and arm signal. Be brief and be gone. I have never heard, "Going Down" or "Staying here" used. I used to have the habit of saying, "off blue, white" (or whatever the colors) and was told just to point and say color. I try to listen to what I am told and do what is expected in my area/association.

2) I am in the camp where I like to do preventative officiating here. "Let it alone son" or "Don't do that," especially at the younger levels and early in the year. I think I have less tolerance and give more DOG warnings as the players get older and the season gets longer - i.e., they should know better.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
1. Why do some vets use the minimal verbal signals when administering free throws and reporting fouls, but say "Going Down" or "Staying here." on throw ins? It's very confusing for jr high especially.

2. Am I in the minority in my belief that more Delay of Game warnings and DOG technical fouls should be called for knocking the ball away after scoring a basket?
You can learn a lot by watching vets. Sometimes you learn what not to do (and why). It's a form of "do as I say, not as I do." Sometimes it's because these "vets" are working JH games for a reason (although that depends on the area and the specific person -- there are lots of exceptions).

And, I'd venture to guess that in 10 years or so, someone will be (or could be) writing a similar post after having observed one of your games. We all have bad habits.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You can learn a lot by watching vets. Sometimes you learn what not to do (and why). It's a form of "do as I say, not as I do." Sometimes it's because these "vets" are working JH games for a reason (although that depends on the area and the specific person -- there are lots of exceptions).

And, I'd venture to guess that in 10 years or so, someone will be (or could be) writing a similar post after having observed one of your games. We all have bad habits.
Bob, that's a good point. I am sometimes too quick to note deficiencies in other officials. I will try to learn from the good things I see and not focus on idiosyncracies.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Mark,
You must be sick or away hunting, I thought for sure you would grab onto some of the verbage at the beginning of this thread and add some humor.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob, that's a good point. I am sometimes too quick to note deficiencies in other officials. I will try to learn from the good things I see and not focus on idiosyncracies.
It is both appropriate and useful to note other officials' deficiencies when watching them work. It's what you do with those "notes" that is important.

Using those notes to trash a fellow official, is obviously bad. Using those notes as evidence in your own mind that you are better than that official, will usually prove harmful to you.

Using those notes as examples of what not to do in your game, is good. Using those notes to form your own conclusion about how good an official is, and by extension how useful incorporating parts of his or her game into yours, is also good.

So don't ignore negative observations about fellow officials, just keep them in their proper place.

One other bit of wisdom from the trenches (that you're free to consider or discard, obviously). You will sometimes see vets with terrible mechanics and horrible habits working big games. And perhaps you will wonder why. Reasons they get those games include: They have become masters of managing a game, they have been around a long time and are widely trusted, they are there to keep an eye on their younger partners and help bring them along.

Just because a "vet" lacks some of the mechanical polish you and I are working to acquire doesn't mean he or she isn't a great official. However, if you and I can become equally masterful at managing a game and as widely trusted, and we also develop great mechanics, I think eventually we'll find there is room at the top for us too.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 01:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Mark,
You must be sick or away hunting, I thought for sure you would grab onto some of the verbage at the beginning of this thread and add some humor.
In the opening thread, I saw the words "vet" and "DOG" and thought I was on a board about animals - and I don't mean the kind that coach.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was evaluating a Girls JV game last night where one official used the verbage, "Going Down". On one occassion a girl stood in front of the official and just looked at him with a blank stare. She was confused on what the official meant. Communication is the key, Between partners, with the players & coaches and table personnel.

We got it corrected by the second half.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
It is both appropriate and useful to note other officials' deficiencies when watching them work. It's what you do with those "notes" that is important.

Using those notes to trash a fellow official, is obviously bad. Using those notes as evidence in your own mind that you are better than that official, will usually prove harmful to you.

Using those notes as examples of what not to do in your game, is good. Using those notes to form your own conclusion about how good an official is, and by extension how useful incorporating parts of his or her game into yours, is also good.

So don't ignore negative observations about fellow officials, just keep them in their proper place.

One other bit of wisdom from the trenches (that you're free to consider or discard, obviously). You will sometimes see vets with terrible mechanics and horrible habits working big games. And perhaps you will wonder why. Reasons they get those games include: They have become masters of managing a game, they have been around a long time and are widely trusted, they are there to keep an eye on their younger partners and help bring them along.

Just because a "vet" lacks some of the mechanical polish you and I are working to acquire doesn't mean he or she isn't a great official. However, if you and I can become equally masterful at managing a game and as widely trusted, and we also develop great mechanics, I think eventually we'll find there is room at the top for us too.
Great point BITS. I thought of this yesterday watching a college vet doing a closely guarded count with his arm extended and using his fingers count.

Watch the vets and do what works for you...
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 08:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Or The Moderators Have Been Very Busy Deleting ???

Quote:
"Going Down"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
"going down."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
"going down"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Mark, I thought for sure you would grab onto some of the verbiage at the beginning of this thread and add some humor.
I can't believe it. Mark Padgett, and the rest of you guys, are showing a tremendous amount of restraint. Three straight lines and not a single "zinger"? I still can't believe it. Am I on the wrong website? Is this the NFHS forum?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)