The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I was wondering and have been asked in my basketball leagues if an offensive fouls counts towards team fouls? I was under the assumption that it doesn't... But I can't find it in the rule books to support my assumption.

Does any one know where to find the rule that states when a fouls is made it goes to them personally and to the team?
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 06:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpball6
I was wondering and have been asked in my basketball leagues if an offensive fouls counts towards team fouls? I was under the assumption that it doesn't... But I can't find it in the rule books to support my assumption.

Does any one know where to find the rule that states when a fouls is made it goes to them personally and to the team?
For NFHS rules,read the first line of Rule4-19,then read Rule 4-19-2,6&12.For NCAA rules,read Rule 4-9-1&2.Both rulebooks state exactly what you're looking for-it's charged to the player and the team.
Don't know or care about NBA rules.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!!

In NFHS ruling; What type of foul doesn't count as a team foul?
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 07:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks!!

An indirect technical foul that is charged to the head coach along with another technical foul.Examples are dunking before the game,a T called on someone on the bench,players coming off the bench to fight,etc.The coach gets an indirect T for each separate act,but they don't get charged towards the bonus.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2002, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Thanks!!

An indirect technical foul that is charged to the head coach along with another technical foul.Examples are dunking before the game,a T called on someone on the bench,players coming off the bench to fight,etc.The coach gets an indirect T for each separate act,but they don't get charged towards the bonus.
You might want to make it a little clearer JR. The direct T that is called in association with the indirect T you talk about DOES count toward the bonus. I know you know this, but quickly reading your post could have led others not so knowledgeable to think that nothing went toward the bonus in these situations.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2002, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle

You might want to make it a little clearer JR. The direct T that is called in association with the indirect T you talk about DOES count toward the bonus. I know you know this, but quickly reading your post could have led others not so knowledgeable to think that nothing went toward the bonus in these situations.
To add even more commentary to the already correct information...

Each of these infractions count as 1 team foul, 1 T to the offender and 1 indirect T to the head coach. All fouls count against the individual and the team and a few of them also count indirectly against the coach.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2002, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Each of these infractions count as 1 team foul, 1 T to the offender and 1 indirect T to the head coach.
I hate to be Mr. Grammar, but you don't really mean "each", do you Camron? The indirect T does not also count as a team foul. . . I think. I think you meant to say something like "collectively" the T to the offender and the indirect to the coach count as only 1 team foul. Am I right?

Chuck
Old Thu Aug 01, 2002, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I know I should know this but...

How do the techs against coaches accumulate? I mean, I know if I get two direct T's, I'm gone. How do indirect T's fit into the picture?

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Aug 01, 2002, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
I know I should know this but...

How do the techs against coaches accumulate? I mean, I know if I get two direct T's, I'm gone. How do indirect T's fit into the picture?
Three indirects, and you're history. One direct and two indirects, and you're history.

One direct and one indirect - we'll let you stay, but you're hangin' by your toenails
Old Thu Aug 01, 2002, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Each of these infractions count as 1 team foul, 1 T to the offender and 1 indirect T to the head coach.
I hate to be Mr. Grammar, but you don't really mean "each", do you Camron? The indirect T does not also count as a team foul. . . I think. I think you meant to say something like "collectively" the T to the offender and the indirect to the coach count as only 1 team foul. Am I right?

Chuck
Mr. Grammar is certainly welcome since you've misunderstood what I intended to say.

By each infraction, I meant each incident or act that warrants the T. The infraction is the yelling at the official or a pregame dunk, not the recording of the penalty.

My original statement said another way:

Each single incident involving bench personnel (but not the coach) is recorded/counted once in 3 seperate places (the offender, the team, and indirectly to the coach).
Old Thu Aug 01, 2002, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Got it. Thanks. I had indeed misunderstood you.