The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What exactly does this mean? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55218-what-exactly-does-mean.html)

Back In The Saddle Thu Oct 29, 2009 07:21pm

What exactly does this mean?

From NFHS 4-12-1 "...There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

So, during a jump ball, A2 jumps towards B2, catches the ball in the air, then lands on B2 before returning to the floor. Is this not a PC foul because A2 has not touched the floor? Or does it become a PC foul the moment A2 touches B2 who is a non-jumper?

If this is not a PC foul then ... the possession arrow is set to A when the ball is put at B's thrower for the ensuing throw-in or free throw? If this is a PC foul, then the arrow is set to B immediately?

Welpe Thu Oct 29, 2009 07:24pm

Wouldn't this be a violation as soon as A2 caught the ball, making the ball dead and A2's contact nothing (unless deemed to be the level of a technical foul)?

BillyMac Thu Oct 29, 2009 08:15pm

This Could Happen, Probably Not, But It Could ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 633724)
From NFHS 4-12-1 "...There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble. So, during a jump ball, A2 jumps towards B2, catches the ball in the air, then lands on B2 before returning to the floor. Is this not a PC foul because A2 has not touched the floor? Or does it become a PC foul the moment A2 touches B2 who is a non-jumper?

Back In The Saddle: You've got way too much time on your hands. Good question. I've never heard anyone ever discuss this situation before. I hope the NFHS rules committee, and the rules editor, see your post. It will give them the mother of all headaches.

BillyMac Thu Oct 29, 2009 08:17pm

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" (The Rolling Stones, 1968) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 633727)
Wouldn't this be a violation as soon as A2 caught the ball, making the ball dead and A2's contact nothing (unless deemed to be the level of a technical foul)?

I think that Back In The Saddle was referring to nonjumpers.

Scratch85 Thu Oct 29, 2009 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 633724)
From NFHS 4-12-1 "...There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

So, during a jump ball, A2 jumps towards B2, catches the ball in the air, then lands on B2 before returning to the floor. Is this not a PC foul because A2 has not touched the floor? Or does it become a PC foul the moment A2 touches B2 who is a non-jumper?

If this is not a PC foul then ... the possession arrow is set to A when the ball is put at B's thrower for the ensuing throw-in or free throw? If this is a PC foul, then the arrow is set to B immediately?

What exactly does this mean? :)

In your sitch, are A2 and B2 the jumpers or non-jumpers? I am assuming they are non-jumpers otherwise you would have called them A1 and B1.

If so, you can't have A2 catching the ball "during" a jump ball. When A2 catches the ball the jump ball has ended and all normal rules apply. If A2 happens to be a jumper then 6-3-7(c) applies.

I think.

Back In The Saddle Thu Oct 29, 2009 08:31pm

Reading is so fundamental.

Yep, I blew it. I completely missed the word "jumper" in there. I was envisioning a non-jumper jumping, catching the ball, and landing on another non-jumper opponent.

I'm going to go find Dick, Jane and Spot and work on my fundamentals.

:o

Scratch85 Thu Oct 29, 2009 08:42pm

Many thanks BITS! You have provided me some great entertainment today.

I have been accused of a lot of things but today was the first time I have ever been accused of "shoehorning." That along with your post in "How does this stupid noose work" has made today priceless.

Man, I love this forum! :D

Juulie Downs Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 633737)
I think that Back In The Saddle was referring to nonjumpers.

Right. It means that if one of the jumpers catches the ball before the jump ball is ended, there's no Player Control and thus no Team Control. That's what it means.

FrankHtown Fri Oct 30, 2009 01:43pm

Because if the jumper A1 caught the ball and it was considered player control, you'd have to give B the ball for the violation, and then give B the arrow, because A had initial possession.

Back In The Saddle Fri Oct 30, 2009 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 633744)
Many thanks BITS! You have provided me some great entertainment today.

I have been accused of a lot of things but today was the first time I have ever been accused of "shoehorning." That along with your post in "How does this stupid noose work" has made today priceless.

Man, I love this forum! :D

I'm happy to be of some use ;)

Zoochy Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:03am

Jump Ball/ AP arrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown (Post 633827)
Because if the jumper A1 caught the ball and it was considered player control, you'd have to give B the ball for the violation, and then give B the arrow, because A had initial possession.

Frank, do I read your statement correctly? This ruling changed a few years ago. There is no longer a double penality if a "Jumper" catches the ball.
If A1 catches the ball before the 'Jump Ball' requirements end, then Team B would get the ball Out of Bounds and Team A would get the AP arrow.

mikeacosta Sat Oct 31, 2009 02:20pm

Jump Ball

I agree with Zoochy!

Adam Sat Oct 31, 2009 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 633925)
Frank, do I read your statement correctly? This ruling changed a few years ago. There is no longer a double penality if a "Jumper" catches the ball.
If A1 catches the ball before the 'Jump Ball' requirements end, then Team B would get the ball Out of Bounds and Team A would get the AP arrow.

That was Frank's point. If there was player/team control on that intial catch, the ruling Frank gives would be correct. Since there is no player control there, it's different.

mikeacosta Sat Oct 31, 2009 03:04pm

The Basketball

Is this a trick question? The Basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled coverwith any number of horizonally shaped panels.
the book doesn't state how many panels, so I think the anser is TRUE???
Am I missing something here?

Adam Sat Oct 31, 2009 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeacosta (Post 633964)
Is this a trick question? The Basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled coverwith any number of horizonally shaped panels.
the book doesn't state how many panels, so I think the anser is TRUE???
Am I missing something here?

It used to be specified. Does that help?