The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game

We all know how important "pregames" with our partners are during a basketball season, especially if we are working with someone new or that we are not familiar with. Last year I had a great pregame list to go through that was putout by NCAA. In looking through my stuff last night, it must have walked away over the summer. Anyone have the NCAA pregame checklist? I think they publish one in some manual/rule book but can't seem to stumble on it. Thanks ladies and gents

-Josh
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Person High School Pregame Conference ...

PREGAME CONFERENCE

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Post play. Illegal screens at elbows

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area “works the arc”. Rebound coverage. Drives starting in primary. Last second shot, basket interference, goaltending. Bring subs in

Stay in your primary, it must be obvious to come out of your primary. Seldom should have four eyes on the ball. If something is there that needs to be called, call it. We’re not going to have too many double whistles if we are doing this right. Keep in mind your boundary line responsibilities and last second shot responsibilities. Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds or where the foul is.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal. Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll talk about it.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

On throwins, count five players each team, check the table, check the clock, good eye contact before putting ball in play. A hand up in the air by the off official means not ready.

Be consistent with each other. Let’s try to remember what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game.

Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot the bonus. If we know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more likely to remember our shooter. Off official should help identifying free throw shooter.

Check the clock after every whistle to make sure the clock stops properly. Check the clock every time it should start to make sure it does so.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling time-outs and be sure to inform them after they have used all their time outs. Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes: That wouldn’t be consistent with the way we’ve been calling the game. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be the ones who decide the game by ignoring obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn't get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player, we should consider an intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

Discuss coaches personalities and how to manage them. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped, players wearing uniforms properly, practice good sportsmanship.

NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES:
During state championship series contests, game or replay officials are permitted to use a replay monitor to determine when a try for goal at the expiration of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00 on the game clock) should be counted, and if so, determine if it is a two- or a three-point goal.
When a red light behind the backboard or an LED light on the backboard is present, it is permitted to signal the expiration of time in the quarter/extra period. If no red/LED light is present, the audible timer’s signal will continue to signal the expiration of time.
Clarified that the imaginary rectangle designates the area to be used for time-outs.
A note was added to clarify when the 20-second interval begins to replace an injured player.
Clarified that any item, in the referee’s judgment, that constitutes a safety concern is not permitted.
Clarified that a player leaves a marked lane space when he or she contacts any part of the court outside the marked lane space (36 inches by 36 inches).
Clarified that a player occupying a marked lane space must have one foot positioned near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line with the other foot positioned anywhere within the designated 36 inch lane space.

NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS:
1. Traveling
2. Closely guarded
3. Three-seconds
4. Block/Charge
5. Free-throw administration

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS:
Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions. Officials will direct players to free throw line area in front of respective benches.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.
Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur from 5 to 10 minutes prior to start of game. If the head coach refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary or Commissioner, who will notify the school Athletic Director and CIAC.

IAABO MECHANICS CHANGES
Verbalize “designated spot” for designated spot throwin.
Always hand ball to player on frontcourt endline.
Keep hand away from face when reporting foul to table.
Switch on all fouls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone have the NCAA pregame checklist?
Quote:
Two Person High School Pregame Conference
Looks like BillyMac forgot how to read again. At least he still knows how to copy and paste.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 03:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Don't forget the three most important parts of any pregame checklist:

1. Zip fly
2. Take meds
3. Duct tape coach's mouths shut

Not necessarily in that order.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Don't forget the three most important parts of any pregame checklist:

1. Zip fly
2. Take meds
3. Duct tape coach's mouths shut

Not necessarily in that order.
They have more than one mouth each in your area?
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 04:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
They have more than one mouth each in your area?
I consider each orifice they talk out of as a "mouth".
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 05:05pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I consider each orifice they talk out of as a "mouth".
Man oh man...talk about your Technical "Fouls"
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Looks like BillyMac forgot how to read again. At least he still knows how to copy and paste.
I used to have an NCAA one. But anyone helps...Wish I could find the stupid thing

-Josh
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA pregame

Try looking through the CCA manual if you have it. The pregame might be different from the Men's to the Women's manual because of style of play, but it should still be listed in section 4.7 of the book. I'll see what I can find tonight if I have anything saved or any else I know has it that will allow me to publish it.

JB
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

BillyMac, thanks for posting that. I know it was not what the OP requested but it sure helps this newbie.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Picky, Picky, Picky ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Last year I had a great pregame list to go through that was putout by NCAA. In looking through my stuff last night, it must have walked away over the summer. Anyone have the NCAA pregame checklist? I think they publish one in some manual/rule book but can't seem to stumble on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
From the original post, I thought that jdmara was using his NCAA pregame list for both his high school games, and college games. I thought my high school pregame list might offer him some guidance, at least until he found his NCAA pregame list.

I learned how to read with Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot, and Puff. Most posters on this Forum probably have no idea who, or what, I'm talking about.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
Try looking through the CCA manual if you have it. The pregame might be different from the Men's to the Women's manual because of style of play, but it should still be listed in section 4.7 of the book. I'll see what I can find tonight if I have anything saved or any else I know has it that will allow me to publish it.

JB
Now that you mention it, that's probably where it is...I'll have to check there when I get home tomorrow. I had a photocopy of it as well because I didn't always take my college book with me to high school games

-Josh
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

I don't remember Puff. But I remember Dick, Jane, and Spot.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 07:25pm
Official & Member

Puff was the cat.
I remember: See Spot run. Run Spot, run.

I can't remeber what Puff did. Probably just cough up hair balls.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I have last year's NCAAW pregame in a PDF. It's too big to attach, but if you send me an email, I'll send you the file.