The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 01:13am
Never Stop Learning

Game Fees

I have a question about game fees in some states. We are in the process of bidding a contract with some schools and these states were mentioned. Arizona, Montana, Washington, Nevada, and Oregon. I'm just checking their figures with some of you because I know some of these states don't work three person and their numbers were for three person. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

This gets talked about quit a bit here. Do a search. Here is the most recent Game fees

Last edited by Indianaref; Fri Oct 16, 2009 at 06:57am.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Pa

ALthough around the state they are slightly different in my district here is the pay scale: Varsity (3 man/woman crew) 65, JV 45 (2man) Jr. High single game 42; Junior High Double header 71 (2 Man) We get NO travel money
Old Sat Oct 17, 2009, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
I have a question about game fees in some states. We are in the process of bidding a contract with some schools and these states were mentioned. Arizona, Montana, Washington, Nevada, and Oregon. I'm just checking their figures with some of you because I know some of these states don't work three person and their numbers were for three person. Any help would be appreciated.
AZ, 2-person, Varsity is $55 plus travel and Sub-V is $35 plus travel (usually 2 game assignments, frosh and JV). In Phoenix, travel is $7 for all metro area. Outside metro area, travel is about $0.40 per mile.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

2man

I can't believe some states and areas are still doing 2-man for varsity. All varsity games in my area are 3-whistle crews. I think it makes the games a lot better.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
I can't believe some states and areas are still doing 2-man for varsity. All varsity games in my area are 3-whistle crews. I think it makes the games a lot better.
Tell that to the school boards who have seen their athletic budgets hammered in the last year and a half.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Most of us feel that three officials makes for a better called game. However, we don't get to make the decision. Principals, coaches, athletic directors, state associations, all have a say. Cost is a factor. What they're used to is a factor. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is a factor. Politics is a factor. Number of officials is a factor.

It's a fight worth fighting, but it's still a fight.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Most schools around here could use 3 for varsity games, but choose not to in order to give the impression that they're really making an effort to save money.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Tell that to the school boards who have seen their athletic budgets hammered in the last year and a half.
True, but only to such a small degree that if they did the games with no officials all, the hole they were in would only be a very tiny fraction less deep. They wouldn't even make a dent in the budget. Official's budgets are simply an easy target. Now, teacher's unions on the other hand....they'll continue to get contracted raises while everyone else "helps" by getting their pay frozen or cut....many with a some amount of cooperation.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Official's budgets are simply an easy target
Bingo.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

I

I would rather makes 5 bucks less a game and have 3 on it than make more doing it with only 2. I few yrs. back 3 was an option for the school to choose. Some chose 3 some chose 2. Then for us we were going back and forth between the 2. So the following year our contract with the district that determined fees was up. Instead of raising fees we kept them the same (we have since raised them) and made an agreement that their would be 3 on every league game. Although now, they can still choose to have only 2 on non-league games none of the teams do.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
I would rather makes 5 bucks less a game and have 3 on it than make more doing it with only 2. I few yrs. back 3 was an option for the school to choose. Some chose 3 some chose 2. Then for us we were going back and forth between the 2. So the following year our contract with the district that determined fees was up. Instead of raising fees we kept them the same (we have since raised them) and made an agreement that their would be 3 on every league game. Although now, they can still choose to have only 2 on non-league games none of the teams do.
I would totally expect that, and I'm heartened to hear you say it. I've long believed that once you get three person widely established, once you get momentum on your side, it is unlikely anybody would want to go back to two person. We're trying hard to make the switch in my state, and I'm just waiting for the day when we're finally "over the hump."
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

a different spin on it

The reason most states go to 3 man officiating is because their 2 man crews don't know how to watch off-ball.

There have been several conversations on this board that have suggested there aren't really that many games that require 3 officials.