The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Again, let me know if I'm off my rocker here.
No, you are indeed firmly on your rocker.

Rock on!

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 06:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
A defender is now standing under the basket and tries to take a charge. His torso is facing the offensive player and is stationary for 10 seconds. That will be called a block this year in the NCAA, as most of the time it was called a block anyways w/o that rule being implemented.

John Adams says how can a defender legally stop a person for scoring if he is trying to take a charge right beneath the basket. Now how can a person be legally trying to play defense on an offensive player with his back turned? No way he is trying to play defense. Don't say he was thrown off by the shot fake, from the 3 POINT LINE. If he bites on the shot fake and the guy drives and he is still standing there waiting for the rebound after 20 ft of court covered, and not a single one of his teammates says something to him, or he hears the ball on the floor, or some commotion going on, your still going to reward him with a charge?
Were the original situations NCAA situations? If not, who gives a cr@p what John Adams says?
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
No, you are indeed firmly on your rocker.

Rock on!
It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong today. (Reference: Iowa Girls Experimentation with two halves) Sometimes I need a reality check

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then why are we calling it a block if a defender is under the basket? Because there is no way he can defend an offensive player under there, how is one expected to defender a player with his back to the offensive player? The kid is not even playing defense, lets go ahead and reward bad defense.

I'm going with what John Adams has said in the very room I was sitting. Defensive players job is to stop an offensive player. Not much defense going on with their back to the offense.

Yes I will call it a block
MO, how many players are there on the team with the ball? Is B2 only able to defend A1 or can B2 actually be defending someone else...denying them the ball?

By A1 running into the back of B2, A1 has prevented B2 from defending A2 or from getting a position for a rebound.

The problem with your position is that it opens a nasty can of worms. By your standard, the offense, in order to draw a foul on the defense, only has to find a defender with their back turned and crash into them....anywhere on the floor. How do you think that is going to work out?
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Because "under the basket" is now defined in NCAAM as not a spot the defender can get to legally first. It's just like having a foot OOB while "taking a charge." It doesn't change the rules on the rest of the floor.
...noting that the above only applies to secondary defenders, not primary defenders...and that the OOB foot issue only applies to LGP situations...

Neither rule gives the offensive team carte blanche to bowl over an opponent just because they are under the basket (they must be a secondary defender) or because they're OOB (the foul must depend on LGP..which the OOB player doesn't have).
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then why are we calling it a block if a defender is under the basket? Because there is no way he can defend an offensive player under there, how is one expected to defender a player with his back to the offensive player? The kid is not even playing defense, lets go ahead and reward bad defense.

I'm going with what John Adams has said in the very room I was sitting. Defensive players job is to stop an offensive player. Not much defense going on with their back to the offense.

Yes I will call it a block
Call it a block... and you will be calling it wrong. NFHS specifically has stated there is no resticted area, playing basketball underneath the basket is no different than playing basketball anywhere else on the floor....

Videotape is so prevalent at a ball games now I will not want to be the one that has the videotape sent in and have the call be obvious and have someone else see it... If the coach knows the rule try to explain "but coach he was under the basket he cant take a charge"....The coach will know you are wrong.... You have lost all credibility the rest of the game. Coaches question us all the time. Judgment has angles, perspective... Getting a rule wrong is something we never want to get wrong and we have the ultimate control over that...