The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 04:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy It never changes

Although I was looking forward to taking this weekend off from games, I got a call this morning to see if I could fill in and take two. I must have been nucking futs because I accepted. The first game was sixth grade boys and the second was eighth grade girls. The only up side was that I worked with a guy I never worked with before and we got along great. Oh yeah - they play running clock halves and the timeouts are only two 30s per half with no carryover.

In the first game, one team was clearly superior to the other. They scored the first 14 points of the game. The losing coach then decided to blame us for his team's poor performance. Frankly, the boys weren't really that bad, but he was making absolutely no adjustments to counteract the other team's play. Middle of first half, I told him to knock off the comments and he gave me one of those depreciating sweeps of his arm and hand. I just stared at him for a few moments, hoping he would get the picture. He didn't. With about two minutes to go in the half, he screamed at my partner about a three second call and I whacked him. After reporting it, I told him he was seat belted for the rest of the game. He thought I was making that rule up. He lasted about six minutes into the second half when my partner Teed him up again. Buh-bye. His assistant took over and he got a T with about two minutes to go in the game. Oh yeah - they lost by almost 30.

Second game was almost a replay. One team up big early. One warning, not a T, to the losing coach in the first half. Second half, my partner tosses her with a flagrant T. I didn't hear any of it while it happened, but according to my partner, the coach used profanity twice in a complaint about a block call. The profanity was directed at my partner, so he sent her packing.

Gee - I hope the rest of the rec season is as much fun as today.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I just stared at him for a few moments, hoping he would get the picture.
This early in the year and you gave the coach, "the look?" You are in mid-season form!
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!

Kick 'em out, kick 'em out, WAAAAAAAYY OUT!!
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:23pm
M.A.S.H.

There's good news - right, Mark?

No overtime?!
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This early in the year and you gave the coach, "the look?" You are in mid-season form!
This was the "look" I gave him. I can't understand why he didn't get it.

Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gee - I hope the rest of the rec season is as much fun as today.
Why does Padgett always get to have all the fun!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

PPPlllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Why does Padgett always get to have all the fun!
Please, let him keep all those kinds of coaches out there on the left coast!!
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:48am
certified Hot Mom tester

And two more on Sunday! No problems except one coach was "absolutely positive" (direct quote) that following a timeout in the last two minutes of either half his team could advance the ball to the division line for the throw-in. I explained this was an NBA rule and when he gets to coach in the NBA, he can have the throw-in there.

Also had a eighth grade boy ask me if a punch "counted" if it missed the other guy. I asked him why he wanted to know. He just shrugged. I told him it did count just the same as if it connected because the intent was the deciding factor. At first, he said "Oh", then after a moment or two, said "What's "intent" mean?" I looked at him and said, "You really don't know what the word "intent" means? He shrugged again. I said, "You must go to public school." He said he did.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 12:44pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
And two more on Sunday! No problems except one coach was "absolutely positive" (direct quote) that following a timeout in the last two minutes of either half his team could advance the ball to the division line for the throw-in. I explained this was an NBA rule and when he gets to coach in the NBA, he can have the throw-in there.

Also had a eighth grade boy ask me if a punch "counted" if it missed the other guy. I asked him why he wanted to know. He just shrugged. I told him it did count just the same as if it connected because the intent was the deciding factor. At first, he said "Oh", then after a moment or two, said "What's "intent" mean?" I looked at him and said, "You really don't know what the word "intent" means? He shrugged again. I said, "You must go to public school." He said he did.
Wow!
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Wow!
You have NO idea! I'm a youth pastor and a basketball official and I have to explain words like intent all the time!!!
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 05:31pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post
You have NO idea! I'm a youth pastor and a basketball official and I have to explain words like intent all the time!!!
Oh, I believe ya! I'm a community college teacher and I see the problem as well. Just I never thought to ask a kid if he/she went to public school if they didn't understand a word.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 06:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

No, I am not making this up. About 10 years ago, I was working a girls V rec game with a female official (no, not Juulie). During a TO, one of the girls came up to us and asked us to watch a certain girl on the other team because, as the girl told us, "She keeps grabbing my boob".

I looked at my partner and she looked back at me, each of us wondering how to reply. Finally, she told the girl she'd watch for it. I told her that if she saw it happen, I couldn't wait to see what mechanic she'd use.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point-of-view, it didn't happen again.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 04:39pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Maybe he was more familiar with FIBA, because we advance the ball to half in final 2 minutes of the game. Since you don't make reference to the team being local or a travelling team from Canada, it could be a possibilty. Probably not but why limit his knowledge to only the NBA.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 05:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Maybe he was more familiar with FIBA, because we advance the ball to half in final 2 minutes of the game. Since you don't make reference to the team being local or a travelling team from Canada, it could be a possibilty. Probably not but why limit his knowledge to only the NBA.
These guys only know what they see on TV. Which means - no FIBA. They watch the NBA.