The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I'm Back

After taking 8 months off from officiating BB because of burn out and discuss and considering given it up all togethere I got the itch again and came back with a bang.
I was working a 7th/8th grade league that the season is only 5 weeks long...doesnt mean anything and just a warm up for the up comning season.
I called 4 techs in 3 games. I wont get into details but they were all very warrented.
My question is: Were playing NFHS rules. I gave Techs to coaches and after the tech the coaches still were still standing and I told them they had to sit because that what I was taught thought that was the rule. Both coaches said they wouldnt sit and I ask the other official that actually was running this short league and he said it would be ok and if they get out of hand anymore we'll send them.
I read the rule book and didn't see anything about them having to sit but it did say they loose there coaching box privledge. What does that mean?
Thanks
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz View Post
After taking 8 months off from officiating BB because of burn out and discuss and considering given it up all togethere I got the itch again and came back with a bang.
I was working a 7th/8th grade league that the season is only 5 weeks long...doesnt mean anything and just a warm up for the up comning season.
I called 4 techs in 3 games. I wont get into details but they were all very warrented.
My question is: Were playing NFHS rules. I gave Techs to coaches and after the tech the coaches still were still standing and I told them they had to sit because that what I was taught thought that was the rule. Both coaches said they wouldnt sit and I ask the other official that actually was running this short league and he said it would be ok and if they get out of hand anymore we'll send them.
I read the rule book and didn't see anything about them having to sit but it did say they loose there coaching box privledge. What does that mean?
Thanks
The rule you seek is 10-5-1a. It defines when a coach may stand also after a tech.
The coaching box is rule 1-13-2 but can be modified by state association adoption (ie: in Texas we have a 6 foot coaching box)
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Splute is right on this one. The seat belt rule is by state adoption.

For years here in Iowa the boys side had the seat belt rule while the girls side did not. Once again, the joys of having two governing bodies.

-Josh
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 05:53pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

For years here in Iowa the boys side had the seat belt rule while the girls side did not. Once again, the joys of having two governing bodies.

-Josh
The boys started the game with the center circle ball toss, while the girls started with the coin toss.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
The boys started the game with the center circle ball toss, while the girls started with the coin toss.
There is another fine example. The rules differences are 5 or 6 now

-Josh
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 07:27pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
There is another fine example. The rules differences are 5 or 6 now

-Josh
Actually, I can't think of much rules differences other than the coaches standing. Am I forgetting something? (Forgive me, but most of my games are on the Nebraska side of the river)
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 08:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Heads I Win, Tails You Lose ...

Quote:
The girls started with the coin toss.
Now you have my undivided attention.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:51am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Now you have my undivided attention.
Coin toss determined who took the ball out of bounds at the division line to start the game. No center jump.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

-Josh
Not exactly true. The ability to stand and coach (i.e., the coaches box) is by state adoption. But after the first T to the head coach, direct or indirect, s/he is no longer allowed to stand to coach. And there is no provision for the state to change that.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, I can't think of much rules differences other than the coaches standing. Am I forgetting something? (Forgive me, but most of my games are on the Nebraska side of the river)
I'll find the sheet this afternoon. The list is becoming minimal and nothing to really worry about

-Josh
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I know I would forget this afternoon so I just did it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ighsau.org/hoops/2010/910bbadaptations.htm
2009-10 Iowa Adaptations for Girls’ Basketball

Adaptation #1 Home uniforms shall be white in color and shall have even numbers. Away uniforms shall be a color other than white and shall have odd numbers. (Required for varsity only)

Adaptation #2 In addition to the numbers allowed by National Federation rule, the numbers 01, 02, 03, 04, and 05 are legal. The numbers 0 and 00 are considered as the even number alternative to 1 and 01. A team shall not use 0 and 00 etc., in the same game. Beginning in 2012-13, the NF rule will be followed making these numbers illegal.

Adaptation #3 COACHES SHALL REMAIN SEATED ON THE BENCH AT ALL TIMES DURING THE GAME WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS:

a) During a time-out, coaches may leave the bench to confer with players in the time-out area.

b) In case of an injury, coaches may leave the bench to aid an injured player, provided they are beckoned onto the court by an official.

c) During an intermission, coaches may leave the bench to attend to their squads.

d) Requesting a prevention or rectification of a correctable error (Rule 2-10) as specified under Rule 5-8-4.

e) Stand up to show approval for an exciting play in the game, when a basket is scored or an outstanding play takes place by a member of their team, and then must immediately return to the bench.

f) The coach may stand up to call a time-out when his team has the ball, whether the clock is running or not and signal to call time-out.

g) Stand up to congratulate a player being substituted for.

h) The coach may confer with personnel at the scorer’s table regarding a timing error, scoring error, or alternating-possession error. If an error is not prevented or corrected, the team shall be charged with a time-out.

i) The coach will be allowed to stand and confer with a player(s) whenever the clock is NOT running. Communication with the player(s) only shall be done in a positive manner and shall take place directly in front of where the coach was seated. When the clock starts following a throw-in or last missed free throw, the coach shall immediately return to his/her seat. The officials will not delay a throw-in administration to permit a coach additional dead clock time to visit with player(s). This will allow coaches additional opportunities to stand up and instruct players while the clock is NOT running during the game.

j) Disqualified player---Upon the head coach’s notification of the disqualified player, the coach may stand to congratulate the disqualified player and may walk the confines of his/her bench to select a replacement for the disqualified player. The rule states that a disqualified player must be replaced within 20 seconds from the time the coach was notified. Any unsporting acts by the coaches are subject to being assessed a technical foul.

Adaptation #4 Wristbands and Headwear---We will be adhering to Rule 3-5-3 regarding wristbands and headwear with the following exceptions. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands) must be soft and unadorned but may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. Bobby pins 2” or less will also be allowed. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be moisture-absorbing material. Lance Armstrong bracelets, rubber bands, etc., are still illegal as they are not moisture-absorbing.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:23am
Ref Ump Welsch

Thanks Josh. So basically, the girls have aligned themselves with the boys as far as the coaches standing in front of the bench goes. For those of you not familiar with Iowa, the girls coaches were allowed to walk in front of the entire bench (bench being defined as the first seat all the way to the last seat occupied), while the boys coaches were pretty much seatbelted with the exceptions listed in Josh's posting. Now both the girls and boys follow the same policy.

The uniform number thing, I haven't seen any of that around my part. Josh, have you seen it, or have the schools started moving towards the numbers being illegal a couple years down the road?
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks Josh. So basically, the girls have aligned themselves with the boys as far as the coaches standing in front of the bench goes. For those of you not familiar with Iowa, the girls coaches were allowed to walk in front of the entire bench (bench being defined as the first seat all the way to the last seat occupied), while the boys coaches were pretty much seatbelted with the exceptions listed in Josh's posting. Now both the girls and boys follow the same policy.

The uniform number thing, I haven't seen any of that around my part. Josh, have you seen it, or have the schools started moving towards the numbers being illegal a couple years down the road?
Yes, the girls side was seatbelted two years ago (don't quote me on that).

I have not seen it around here either (although this is only my second year in Iowa. I was previously in Lexington). We did have one instance last year where the coach wrote an odd number accidentally. We corrected it before the book was approved.

I could be wrong but I'm sure the headband rule has changed from last year. Last year we did not allow multi-colored headbands and each team member must have the same color. Unless we enforced it incorrectly last year that is a change

-Josh
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

My opinion: Your partner didn’t do anyone any favors by letting those coaches stand. By rule they are suppose to sit after a T (see rule 10-5 note 1, and is not considered modifiable by state adoption). You told them to sit and they didn’t. That should have been an ejection and your partner should back you on that. In fact, your partner should have been the one to tell the coach to sit.
If you tell them to sit and they don’t and then you go ask your partner what he thinks and then he says let them stand, that makes you look not so credible and your authority and judgment is now questioned for the rest of the game and possibly future games.

I had a coach that refused to sit once, so I ejected him. He had a fit and wouldn’t leave. I quietly asked the score keeper to get the AD. At that point the coach left. Last I heard was that he doesn’t coach anymore because the parents were very displeased by his behavior.

You need to stick to your guns and your partner needs to be a better partner.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Adaptation #4 Wristbands and Headwear---We will be adhering to Rule 3-5-3 regarding wristbands and headwear with the following exceptions. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands) must be soft and unadorned but may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. Bobby pins 2” or less will also be allowed. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be moisture-absorbing material. Lance Armstrong bracelets, rubber bands, etc., are still illegal as they are not moisture-absorbing.

This one i don't understand. Bobby pins are not allowed due for safety reasons. So the state is going to allow them apparantly because the girls like to wear them? Or something of that nature. That makes no sense to me. Could someone explain the logic here. PLEASE!!