LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 27, 2002, 01:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking But that was in the 1860s

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bard
At a "success" seminar I once attended, we were told, "No one ever looked at a man and said, 'He would sure look better with a beard/mustache.' But they will sometimes look at a man and say, 'He would sure look better if he lost the beard/mustache.'"
Obviously, this guy had never heard of Abe Lincoln!?!?!?

FWIW, I personally think most men would look better with a beard and mustache. But I'm not an assignor, so in this discussion, my opinion doesn't count for much.

As to women, well with sleeves in our shirts and long pants, it's just not much of an issue -- thank goodness!
Yeah but look at what time "Honest Abe" was alive. Things have changed since then. But maybe they are changing back. I see all kinds of people with facial hair.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 27, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Obviously, this guy had never heard of Abe Lincoln!?!?!?
WELCOME BACK, JUULIE!!!!!!!!
Old Mon Jul 29, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

And Glasses, Too

At an association meeting a couple of years ago, one of my assigners mentioned that it would be a good idea to be clean-shaven and without glasses, if possible. He said you'll never see that in writing, but just mentioned it as a "word to the wise."
Old Mon Jul 29, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

At an association meeting a couple of years ago, one of my assigners mentioned that it would be a good idea to be
clean-shaven and without glasses, if possible. He said you'll never see that in writing, but just mentioned it as a "word to the wise."

This sounds like one of those things that an assignor (who doesn't have anything better to worry about) says at a camp and then it spreads like wildfire without anyone challenging it. I think that "all things in moderation" would probably be a more accurate statement. For what it's worth, I just looked at the list of the top 5 refs in our assoc and here's the tally:

1) Mustache
2) Glasses
3) Clean shaven
4) Goatee
5) Mustache

We do have a guy that has a beard that looks like he just climbed out of the hills. He's an excellent ref but rated around 22 in our association. My personal belief is that his appearance is deemed "unprofessional" by some and it hurts him on his ratings.

Z
Old Mon Jul 29, 2002, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Rambling non basketball discussion follows...

There seems to have been a great shift in this country regarding facial hair sometime in the early part of this century. There were several leaders and statesmen who had very full beards in the 19th and early 20th century. They were respected and viewed as honest, hardworking, etc. I don't know for sure what triggered the change, but the respect of facial hair largely fallen out of favor and has never returned.

There have been no bearded (or even mustached) Presidents in about 100 years while there were several before that (perhaps a majority). Was this related to the advent of TV or reasonable quality photos in print media? Before 1900 or so, people usually only read or heard about politicians and such. After it, they have been able to see the person.

Or was it the invention of a good quality razor that allowed clean shaves without having to be extremely careful?

The psychology that I have heard is that people like to see the expressions on people's faces. Facial hair can obscure some of the finer elements of facial expressions. Seeing these expressions is believed to influence (rightly or wrongly) the perception of honesty.

There are few areas, however, that seem to remain with the older values that would seem to contradict the current common views. It seems that judges often are bearded, while lawyers are not.

This seems to apply to basketball/officiating in a way that is similar to the views of society in general. Personally, I feel it is unneccessary and unjustified, but it is they way it is.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Jul 29th, 2002 at 01:09 PM]
Old Mon Jul 29, 2002, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Re: And Glasses, Too

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
At an association meeting a couple of years ago, one of my assigners mentioned that it would be a good idea to be clean-shaven and without glasses, if possible. He said you'll never see that in writing, but just mentioned it as a "word to the wise."
Hey, if our Assignment Sec. wants to pay for the laser surgery I'll have it done. Until that time, I'll happily work the lower level games because I only need my glasses to see.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I was told that when I hadn't reached the college level yet, that it would be a good idea to get contact lenses if you can, and also get clean shaven. I guess it is some unwritten rule, but it has worked for me so far.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I was told that when I hadn't reached the college level yet, that it would be a good idea to get contact lenses if you can, and also get clean shaven. I guess it is some unwritten rule, but it has worked for me so far.

Where are you going to go shopping when you are told that women's underwear are a must too? :-)

Z
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 03:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Where are you going to go shopping when you are told that women's underwear are a must too? [/B]
Actually,some associations specify black thongs as part of their dress code.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Where do I apply? I think I could be quite an assset.

Z
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 08:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Z
You're hired.Most assuredly,we'd need an assistant to assemble the assets.

Btw,do you have a picture of yourself in your black officials thong?
If not,do you wanna buy one?
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Z
You're hired.Most assuredly,we'd need an assistant to assemble the assets.

Btw,do you have a picture of yourself in your black officials thong?
If not,do you wanna buy one?
Actually, wouldn't we wear striped thongs?
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 09:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Actually, wouldn't we wear striped thongs? [/B]
Geeze,Mark,you always wear black in case your pants split.
On second thought,if you were wearing a black thong when your pants split,it'd probably look like stripes anyway.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Actually, wouldn't we wear striped thongs?
Geeze,Mark,you always wear black in case your pants split.
On second thought,if you were wearing a black thong when your pants split,it'd probably look like stripes anyway. [/B]
Hey, some of us are in shape so that we don't have to worry about pants splitting.

I am not part of that group.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

The drop 25, i agree with. that is a major poe w/ assignors. as to the mustache, i think the main thing is that you get the dam* call right, and they will be fine!!