The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

I had an 8th grade boys' game last weekend where I found myself in the following situation:

A1 is fouled on a 3-point try. Before the first free throw, Team A calls timeout.

When the teams come back out for the free throws, my head was in the clouds somewhere, and I only administer two free throws instead of three!

No one else in the place caught the error. I realized that I blew it as B1 was bringing the ball up the court.

B1 was fouled shooting. At that time I stopped play, and explained to the coaches that I missed the third free throw for A-1.

I had A-1 shoot the third free throw, and then resumed play with B-1 shooting his free throws.

Was this correct?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Good job, you could have stopped play when you remembered. You got it correct. Correctable errors are tricky, its best you read the rule several times and have someone explain the rules. But, it is very important to fully understand, so take the time. good luck.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2000, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Brian:

As you have explained in this situation, yes, you got it right.
Next question! What would have been your call if you had administered one of the free throws to B before you had recognized your error?
Old Thu Mar 09, 2000, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

The error must be recognized during the first dead ball after the clock properly started.

So, if B1 shoots a free throw before the error is recognized, it's to late for the error to be corrected. Correct?

Another question:

Rule 10-10-3 states: "If in article 1e the error is made while the clock is running and the ball dead, it must be recognized by an official before the second live ball"

I don't understand how the clock could be running and the ball dead.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2000, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Brian S on 03-09-2000 09:28 PM
I don't understand how the clock could be running and the ball dead.

Brian, the most common situation is after a successful field goal. The clock continues to run, but the ball becomes dead when it passes through the basket and does not become alive again until it is at the disposal of the thrower during the throw-in.

The error (and in this instance would only consist of erroneously counting or canceling a score) theoretically would occur during the "brief" interval between the ball going through the basket when it became dead and when the inbounding team has the ball at its disposal (at which time the administering official would begin the 5-second throw-in count).
Old Sat Mar 11, 2000, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Brian, nice call on the correctable error.

Rusty is correct about the ball being dead after a field goal.

You did not mention whether the second free throw was good or not. If it was good, you actually had two dead balls before discovering the error. The key is that the second dead ball was the first dead ball after the clock had properly started.
Old Sat Mar 11, 2000, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

in this situation afer a free throw the clock wouldnt be running.
after a made field goal it would
and the ball isnt live until its at the disposal of the player throwing it inbounds