The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 09:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up OT - good news for the Trailblazers

Portland Trailblazer assistant coach Maurice Lucas is returning to the team this season after missing most of last season with bladder cancer. He has recovered enough to take back his job as coach of the team's "big men". Although he gained a reputation as an "enforcer" when he played, he really was an excellent power forward and was a star on Portland's only NBA championship team in 1977.

Maurice's two sons, Maurice Jr. (called Reece) and David played in our local kids rec league and I reffed them numerous times. Reece and my son went to HS together. David, who is about two years younger, was an all Pac 10 player at Oregon State and now plays on Portland's IBL semi-pro team and teaches camps at a local facility in Beaverton. I ref there and see him all the time. Occasionally, I ref one of the teams from his camp and he coaches. He is great with the kids and behaves exactly the way refs wish all coaches would behave.

Anyway, congrats Maurice and welcome back.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
He is great with the kids and behaves exactly the way refs wish all coaches would behave.
Wait: that would imply that you've never T'd him up.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 10:56am
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Wait: that would imply that you've never T'd him up.
I can't imagine ever T'ing him up. If a kid argues about a call, David immediately pulls him over to the side and first, explains the call and second, admonishes the kid for complaining. David is the epitome of good sportsmanship and I take pride in having something to do with that. Here's why:

A long time ago (or, at least it seems like it), his brother Reece was playing in a game I was reffing in kids rec. David and his mom were in the stands. David was probably about 8 years old. The teams lined up for a free throw and just as the shooter (from the team playing against his brother) was releasing the ball, David yelled at him. This is not something we allow in this league. I went over to him and explained that it was poor sportsmanship and not to do that again. I asked him how would he feel if someone did that to his brother. His mom then lit into him with a sportsmanship lecture. Years later, when David was home from college, I ran into him (no, not literally) at a local bank. He recognized me and came over to tell me how that incident remained with him and from that point on, he tried to always be a good sport. He thanked me for my actions at that game. That has meant a lot to me, especially since I now see him imparting that same attitude to his players.

I did see a ref T him up during spring league, but then he rescinded it when he realized it wasn't David who had yelled at him, but some parent sitting behind the bench. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the closest David has come to getting whacked.