The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

This board helped me with a play in a camp over the past weekend. We were calling some of the best high school boys basketball at a Mullens invitational tournament, so there was lots of above the rim play.

The play: A1 attempts a dunk, ball hits back flange and bounces straight up, A1 grasps the rim while the ball is in cylinder above the rim, A1 releases the rim and ball falls through. We had talked about it before so I was confident in my call, which was a no-call. Although to be honest, if we hadn't discussed it, I probably would have no-called it on the basis of "I don't know what the he!! just happened so I am going to leave it alone".
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up I think you were right, unless.......

Question, was A1 grasping the rim totally about the miss? In other words, did A1 just miss a dunk and he was left holding the rim? Or was A1 showboating or was A1 trying to avoid injury?

By what you describe, basket interference is out. The only way I think you could call that is if the player tried to guide the ball in the hole or attempt to benefit by holding onto the rim. It just sounds like A1 got lucky and the ball entered the rim.

I have a no-call by what was describe. I am sure someone will disagree, but that is what I got.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

He definitely just grabbed the rim to prevent injury. He was obviously a little out of control or he would have got the dunk down, he just held for a split sec to get his balance and had let go and the rim was back in it's correct position when the ball came back through, definitely not showboating. Good question.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 04:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up No change here.

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
He definitely just grabbed the rim to prevent injury. He was obviously a little out of control or he would have got the dunk down, he just held for a split sec to get his balance and had let go and the rim was back in it's correct position when the ball came back through, definitely not showboating. Good question.
Then definitely a no-call. You did the right thing. He got lucky and you move one.

Did the coaches say anything or were you just questioning it in your mind?

Peace
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't catch any flak over that one, but in the same game had an offensive player stuff one as it came off the rim on a rebound. It was close, looked to me to be out of the cylinder or at least mostly out. The clinician asked me if I was sure it was out, said he couldn't tell from where he was at. My answer was "I wasn't sure it was in, so I passed on it". I think he liked that answer. Caught a little flak from fan's and coach on that one, but not much.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 04:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question

Quote:

Caught a little flak from fan's and coach on that one, but not much.
When does that not happen?
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Caught a little flak from fan's and coach on that one, but not much.
When does that not happen?
On that point. I was a little unnerved by some of the clinicians at the camp who seemed overly concerned about the coaches and their perceived behavior. A couple of times, they would tell us during a timeout or whatever, that we needed to take care of that coach, and I would be wondering what they were talking about because they hadn't said a word to me and I wasn't aware they had been causing trouble. I am not one of those who will just let a coach go wild either, I would say I give more technicals than average. I suppose they were trying to see how well we could communicate with an upset coach, but I have always been of the camp "if they aren't bothering me, I'm not going to bother them".
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 05:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Just a suggestion.

Quote:

A couple of times, they would tell us during a timeout or whatever, that we needed to take care of that coach, and I would be wondering what they were talking about because they hadn't said a word to me and I wasn't aware they had been causing trouble.
You do not need to go out of your way to handle a coach, but when you have a minute (especially in 3 Person games) you need to always pay close attention to things the coach is saying. Not that you comment every time they say something, but be aware when things are getting out of hand. If you do this, you know when the top is about to blow off. If you see that the top is about to blow, you can take it "off the stove" if you will. Despite what many say, that is what is going to save you. How you handle coaches and players can and will make or break your career. Because you might have a great game, and all will be remembered is that you gave a T. Especially when you could have prevented it. I am sure the clinician wanted someone to calm the coach down or warn the coach about crossing a line.

Just my thoughts.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 05:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: I think you were right, unless.......

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

1. God
2. Family
3. Job
4. Officiating

Are you on this list?
Yes. I have the patience of number three.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thumbs up

Quote:
My answer was "I wasn't sure it was in, so I passed on it".
Perfect.
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 09:48am
9 times

Quote:
On that point. I was a little unnerved by some of the clinicians at the camp who seemed overly concerned about the coaches and their perceived behavior. A couple of times, they would tell us during a timeout or whatever, that we needed to take care of that coach, and I would be wondering what they were talking about because they hadn't said a word to me and I wasn't aware they had been causing trouble. I am not one of those who will just let a coach go wild either, I would say I give more technicals than average. I suppose they were trying to see how well we could communicate with an upset coach, but I have always been of the camp "if they aren't bothering me, I'm not going to bother them".
I believe that as you move up the officiating ladder, you will find that the coaches and what they are doing at all times becomes more of an issue. You need to be aware of what is going on over on the sideline. That is not to say that you have to have all of your attention on the coach, but you do need to be aware of him/her. Just like you need to be aware of the score, fouls, time on the clock, time on the shot clock, offenses run, defenses run, who the game wreckers are, etc.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 12:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Perfect Stripes

Very well said!!!

Peace