View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 09:48am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
On that point. I was a little unnerved by some of the clinicians at the camp who seemed overly concerned about the coaches and their perceived behavior. A couple of times, they would tell us during a timeout or whatever, that we needed to take care of that coach, and I would be wondering what they were talking about because they hadn't said a word to me and I wasn't aware they had been causing trouble. I am not one of those who will just let a coach go wild either, I would say I give more technicals than average. I suppose they were trying to see how well we could communicate with an upset coach, but I have always been of the camp "if they aren't bothering me, I'm not going to bother them".
I believe that as you move up the officiating ladder, you will find that the coaches and what they are doing at all times becomes more of an issue. You need to be aware of what is going on over on the sideline. That is not to say that you have to have all of your attention on the coach, but you do need to be aware of him/her. Just like you need to be aware of the score, fouls, time on the clock, time on the shot clock, offenses run, defenses run, who the game wreckers are, etc.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019