Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
If we treat this as the ball being lodged between one of the two 'official' backboards and rims, what's next?
Mark, I think you've misunderstood my thinking. Whatever an official rules in this case, it is most definitely not the same as the ball being lodged between one the two 'official' backboards and rims. I've never claimed that we could consider it to be such. My only contention was that IF you consider the retracted rims to be in play (and, once again, I personally don't) then if the ball gets stuck there, it is technically still a live ball. Which means that when you blow your whistle, you've created a dead ball where there is no team control; thus, the AP procedure.

Quote:
Are you saying you wouldn't rule a ball which hit an overhead banner out of bounds? (Or that you would consider that the rules state this is not out of bounds?)
No!! No!! I am NOT saying that!!! I am only trying to show the plausibility of an alternative interpretation of the rule.

As I said in my very first post in this thread, I would call this play a throw-in violation, based on the "overhead equipment" part of the OOB rule. And even if that rule doesn't really apply I would call it OOB "and blame it on 2-10" (as I said in my second post in this thread).

Now I am really done with this thread!! The more I say, the more confused the situation becomes.

Chuck
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I'll leave you alone!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
It's been OOB since Dr. Naismith removed the wire mesh from around the court.
D@mn! That's why we can't keep those birds off the court!
I worked an AAU game this summer in a gym that had a bird's nest way up high in the rafters. The coach told me the biggest problem was avoiding the occasional splats.
That's only a violation if a bird that is above the level of the backboard craps on the ball.It's legal if the bird is below the level of the backboard when he craps on the ball.It's the same concept as "you are what you touched last" combined with the overhead equipment rule.

Man,I love these technical discussions!
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Are you saying you wouldn't rule a ball which hit an overhead banner out of bounds? (Or that you would consider that the rules state this is not out of bounds?)
No!! No!! I am NOT saying that!!! I am only trying to show the plausibility of an alternative interpretation of the rule.

Chuck
OK, so I get it. What you're saying is that this has to be an AP. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I'll leave you alone!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
It's been OOB since Dr. Naismith removed the wire mesh from around the court.
D@mn! That's why we can't keep those birds off the court!
I worked an AAU game this summer in a gym that had a bird's nest way up high in the rafters. The coach told me the biggest problem was avoiding the occasional splats.
That's only a violation if a bird that is above the level of the backboard craps on the ball.It's legal if the bird is below the level of the backboard when he craps on the ball.It's the same concept as "you are what you touched last" combined with the overhead equipment rule.

Man,I love these technical discussions!
JR, I don't think you want to be touched at all, in my sitch.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
OK, so I get it. What you're saying is that this has to be an AP. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Must. . .not. . .reply. . . .must. . .control. . .smart-@$$. . .reflex. . . .
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Let's get back to Rut's original post. He noted that this is a side basket that was not put up all the way. Not the main baskets where a ball lodged in the rim results in a jump ball.

I believe that anytime a ball hits an object over the court, it is a dead ball, ball goes to opposing team. This means side baskets, scoreboards that hang over the middle of the court, etc.

This is not volleyball. Volleyball has rules to cover how to play when there are overhead obstructions.

In Rut's scenario, the throw-in hits an obstruction (regardless if it was over the court or not), thus resulting in a violation. Opposing team gets throw in at the point of the original throw-in.

I do believe that the same holds true if the ball is in play. example: A1 trys a long shot at the end of the quarter and hits a ceiling beam (I know a small gym). I would blow the ball dead the moment it touched the beam and award the other team the ball nearest the spot of the touch.

Now a good question would be what if A1 when throwing in the ball, heaves it the length of the court and it gets lodged in the rim. What would we have then? (mostly like another throw in violation)
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Sigh. Any off-court or overhead THING is out of bounds except for either backboard and rim. It doesn't matter if it's a throw-in, a shot, a pass, a kicked ball or whatever. The original sitch is cute but a no brainer. OOB. OOB on a throw-in is a violaton, ball goes back to the spot.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 01:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JLK
Now a good question would be what if A1 when throwing in the ball, heaves it the length of the court and it gets lodged in the rim. What would we have then? (mostly like another throw in violation)
Mostly like you're right.It's a throw-in violation.Rules reference is R9-2-8.If it touches someone inbounds and then lodges,it's an AP.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-in violation....unless before the game this was to be consider an exception to that particular gym! I would hope not!

AK ref SE